• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2010 Candy & Confectionery Conference [PLAN]

lebowits

Calling all cars!

Please let me know if you will have a car or other wheeled transportation while here for the workshop. We'll need to make sure everyone who wants to, has a ride to/from the SpringHill Suites on Friday and to Tower Oaks Lodge for dinner on Saturday night.

Please let me know ASAP if you can take a guest or two, or if you will NEED a ride so we can get everyone paired up.

Thanks for your help with this.

won't have a car...still figuring out how to do airport to hotel....perhaps a very long cab ride? or else may rent a car...but not sure, so put me down for needing a ride for now :)

Calling all cars!

Please let me know if you will have a car or other wheeled transportation while here for the workshop. We'll need to make sure everyone who wants to, has a ride to/from the SpringHill Suites on Friday and to Tower Oaks Lodge for dinner on Saturday night.

Please let me know ASAP if you can take a guest or two, or if you will NEED a ride so we can get everyone paired up.

Thanks for your help with this.

won't have a car...still figuring out how to do airport to hotel....perhaps a very long cab ride? or else may rent a car...but not sure, so put me down for needing a ride for now :)

If you post your arrival/departure info, maybe we can hook you up with a ride. A cab would be very expensive. If no other options are available, I recommend a shuttle service. SuperShuttle may be available as well as several others serving "Montgomery County" Maryland.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

May I suggest that everyone flying in and not renting a vehicle post your arrival times and airport to see if we can make arrangements to meet and save the cost of a cab or shuttle

RE: Cars / Transportation

We'll be coming from northern MD/VA Friday morning, so I think that is wrong direction for helping with incoming Airport transfer.

But we are quite happy to help with dinner caravan and outbound airport run. Our SUV has fold up seats - after we unload Kerrys stuff :raz:

We have room for up to 5 EXTRA passengers (as long as 2 of them are somewhat slender for the third row seating).

We are staying at Springhill.

- Art & Wilma

It is in exchanging the gifts of the earth that you shall find abundance and be satisfied - Kahlil Gibran

art@chocolatefx.ca

Hi. This is really hard checking in to see what is happening. I so wish I could join! As tradition has it I would like to send something instead of me. Remind me when it is and to whom it would be most convenient to send a package to. Any requests should be asked for in time!

One of these days I hope you'll send you!

I think they would appreciate some of that wonderful halvah - it is the best!!!! So much better than anything we get on this side of the pond.

And you should look at the Albert Uster site and see if there is anything we can send along to you.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Ok I will send a few kinds/brands of Halvah. Anything else? I am buying and mailing 2morrow.

Local chocolates?

I've heard there is a good place in Askelon called Ganache Chocolates - can you send some of them?

hey folks :)

i am flying in on american airlines and will arrive thursday night (because from my town its 2.75 hrs to Minneapolis airport) so i leave MN around 5:30 and arrive at reagan at 11:55 and i'm staying at the springhill suites. so i know that's late....but the earliest flight i could get in for friday would be arriving at the airport at 4 :( so figured this was the best option *sigh* and i can't leave much earlier because i have a store to run and my gal can't come in till 11 at the earliest...so that's that!

my flight leaves reagan on sunday at 5:10 so i figure i should be at the airport by 3....

if anyone has thoughts or suggestions, i would most gratefully appreciate it! :)

Opted for a rental car - got one for $17/day on Priceline. Arriving Regan at 6:30 Thursday evening if anyone else arriving at same time and needs a ride to their hotel.

Chocoera,

Your best bet for a ride from Reagan National Airport at midnight would be the Super Shuttle. You can find them at www.supershuttle.com. I can give you a ride to the airport on Sunday.

Susan

Edited by susanmc (log)

Beacheschef, 8:50 Friday morning on Southwest I don't mind waiting for you.

Marmish: Great - I'll see you then.

Want to just ride the super shuttle, or were you thinking about a taxi?

If you guys are completely wheel-less, then Betsy or I can arrange to meet you. Please let me know.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

This is extremely short notice, due to my job situation I though there was no way I would be able to make it this year, but it looks like I will have the money to attend after all. If less than a week’s notice is okay, I would like to be added to the list.

Thanks,

Mike.

I'm afraid I've lost track of who still needs airport rides. I've sent a couple private messages, but fear they or their replies may have been lost, so I'll make first come - first served offers here - replies to the thread is probably best, so that others know if rides are accepted.

First offer: Late night Thursday/Early morning Friday - thinking of Chocoera. I'm driving in and my schedule is hard to predict; I could be at Reagan National as early as 1:30 am, but 3:30 am is more likely. I'm game if you are. If our roles were reversed the Supershuttle fare would look a lot better to me than 2-3 hours at an airport in the middle of the night B-}=

Second offer: one run to BWI, Regan National, or Dulles Friday Late morning. I think Beacheschef and Marmish are still looking for a way in from BWI - I could handle that.

I'm not going home until Monday morning, and have kept my Sunday plans fairly open, so something could be negotiated for rides back to airports if needed.

Please let me know as soon as possible. I love it when a plan comes together.

Sleep is for the weak!

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Chocoera,

Your best bet for a ride from Reagan National Airport at midnight would be the Super Shuttle. You can find them at www.supershuttle.com. I can give you a ride to the airport on Sunday.

Susan

wow, thanks susan! and i'll look up the shuttle service and get something arranged :)

This is extremely short notice, due to my job situation I though there was no way I would be able to make it this year, but it looks like I will have the money to attend after all. If less than a week’s notice is okay, I would like to be added to the list.

Thanks,

Mike.

Mike - come on down!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I wanted to triple check before next week. I will be bringing a "large" (3 kg) temperer and RobertM has offered his ACMC (3 kg. Is anyone else bringing a melter or temperer? We have a variety of chocolates in significant quantities to work with. At a minimum, I would like to be able to keep a dark, milk, and white chocolate going.

Many thanks.

Steve

I could also bring a melter. I have a 6kg mol d'art.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

my flight is arrives Th night at 10PM, departs 8:50 Su night.

I'll take the supershuttle unless somebody tells me this is a bad idea.

I'll be at the Springhill suits.

I do not have a ride to the restaurant. So if we need cars then let me know

that before I book the supershuttle.

I wanted to triple check before next week. I will be bringing a "large" (3 kg) temperer and RobertM has offered his ACMC (3 kg. Is anyone else bringing a melter or temperer? We have a variety of chocolates in significant quantities to work with. At a minimum, I would like to be able to keep a dark, milk, and white chocolate going.

Many thanks.

Steve

I could also bring a melter. I have a 6kg mol d'art.

We will have enough different chocolates to make use. If you can squeeze it in, bring it!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I'm afraid I've lost track of who still needs airport rides. I've sent a couple private messages, but fear they or their replies may have been lost, so I'll make first come - first served offers here - replies to the thread is probably best, so that others know if rides are accepted.

First offer: Late night Thursday/Early morning Friday - thinking of Chocoera. I'm driving in and my schedule is hard to predict; I could be at Reagan National as early as 1:30 am, but 3:30 am is more likely. I'm game if you are. If our roles were reversed the Supershuttle fare would look a lot better to me than 2-3 hours at an airport in the middle of the night B-}=

Second offer: one run to BWI, Regan National, or Dulles Friday Late morning. I think Beacheschef and Marmish are still looking for a way in from BWI - I could handle that.

I'm not going home until Monday morning, and have kept my Sunday plans fairly open, so something could be negotiated for rides back to airports if needed.

Please let me know as soon as possible. I love it when a plan comes together.

Sleep is for the weak!

Looks like chocoera is renting a car and picking up beacheschef and myself, so we are set! May still need to take you up on that offer on Sunday though as chocoera is leaving earlier and from a different airport. Steve, that means we'll be fine for to and from the restaurant and conference locations, too.