• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2010 Candy & Confectionery Conference [PLAN]

lebowits

Does anyone have 1/4" (6.5mm) or 3/8" (9.5mm) caramel rulers they could bring. I've got at least 1 set of each, but we might want another.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Event Update

Event Information

Event: 2010 Candy & Confectionery Workshop

Dates: Friday, 16 April 2010 - Sunday, 18 April 2010

Location: L'Academie de Cuisine, 16006 Industrial Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 2087 USA [map]

Note: This event is not sponsored or endorsed by L'Academie de Cuisine.

Fee: USD $150.00

This fee is intended to cover all facility rental, required staff labor, and materials (edible or otherwise) for the event. Any leftover funds at the end of the event will be donated to the eGullet Society.

Accommodation

Reservations should be made by Friday, 12 March 2010 in order to guarantee the group rate. Links have been provided for each hotel below. The links to the first 2 hotels will take you directly to the hotel web site with the appropriate group code.

1. Springhill Suites - USD $64 - $104 including breakfast [map]
  2. Courtyard by Marriott - USD $64 [map]
  3. Homestead Studio Suites - USD $69.99 (kitchenette) [map]

Call the hotel directly at +1-301-987-9100 and ask for the "eGullet Workshop" group block when making a reservation.

Agenda (tentative as of 12 November 2009)

Friday, 16 April 2010

• 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Modern Truffle & Praline Techniques with Albert Uster Imports Assistant Corporate Pastry Chef Amanda Haba

Albert Uster Imports is a provider of pastry and chocolate products for the professional chef. They are located next door to L'Academie de Cuisine and have a long history with the school.

• 7:00 - ??? Evening Social & Chocolate Tasting

Show off your work! Bring a little something to share. We'll find a nosh or two and some wine and drinks and spend a little time getting to know each other better.

Saturday, 17 April 2010

• 8:00 - 8:30 Breakfast and Introductions
  • 8:30 - 10:00 "Bean to Bar" - Grinding Cacao and Nuts @ Home - Andal Balu of Inno Concepts/CocaoTown
  • 10:00 - 10:15 Break
  • 10:15 - 11:45 Introductory Chocolate Techniques (tempering, ganaches, molding, etc.) - Kerry Beal a.k.a. "The Chocolate Doctor"
  • 10:15 - 11:45 Flavor Dynamics - A discussion crafting and combining flavors into your products - Leader lebowits & TruffleGuy
  • 11:45 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
  • 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Lab Work - Putting Theory into Practice
  • 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm Cleanup
  • 7:00 pm Group Dinner - Proposed Roundtable Discussion - Starting a Business - Lessons Learned (All)

Sunday, 18 April 2010

• 8:30 am Breakfast
  • 9:00 am - 10:30 "Decorating your Products, Color, Texture, Fluffy Bits on Top" - Either open discussion or speaker TBD
  • 10:30 - 10:45 Break
  • 10:45 - 12:00 Lab Work - Continuation from Saturday & Decoration Techniques
  • 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
  • 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm Lab Work - Continued
  • 3:30 - 4:30 Final Cleanup

Attendees as of 2 March 2010

Yes

lebowits

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal +1

RobertM

psantucc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

truffleguy

ejw50

ChrisHennes +1

jimdiii

ArtMills +1

95% Yes

brokenscale

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

beacheschef

Maybe

Desiderio

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

1. Steve - yes, my caramel cutter is from Savage - lots of very razor sharp blades on a rolling pin. Owner assumes NO liability for industrial accidents.

2. Yes - small "panning" unit - I'll bring it along if we can find time to play -

3. I would more than likely plan on attending Steve's flavor dynamics discussion -

4. I have no objections to photography or press coverage - just sorry we don't have more advance notice to facilitate additional weight loss and a face lift -

i can bring some caramel rulers....and did no one care to do any dessert topics? (i'm not volunteering, i was hoping for some help or insight) :biggrin: pastry/mini or full size/ component cakes/decoration or garnishing with chocolate....thoughts? or am i flying solo on this one? :huh:

Hi All -

I am new to the egullet and a budding artisan chocolatier. I would love to attend your conference ...just trying to figure out how to make it happen. Can you put me down as a "maybe" :rolleyes: please and I will let you know this this coming week for sure? (90% chance I can come ) Where do I send the check?

:smile:Alexandra

Hello everyone!

As Steve said, I'm really sorry I can't be at the demo at Albert Uster on Friday, but Amanda & Briea are both very talented & I assure you I'm leaving you in good hands. They plan to show a variety of molded & slab chocolates & pralines & also would like to show some macaroons, pate de fruits & fruit flavored marshmallows. If people are interested in seeing desserts as well, we'll gladly show whatever you'd like to see. Post your requests & we'll do our best to accommodate.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

I do! But I've suggested Kelly (my +1) attend the other session - so I can find out what there is to learn.

Maybe we re-jigger the schedule a bit so that your session runs parallel to the kitchen time. I've been giving that some thought.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Attendees as of 15 March 2010

Yes

lebowits

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal +1

RobertM

psantucc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

truffleguy

ejw50

ChrisHennes +1

jimdiii

ArtMills +1

95% Yes

brokenscale

alexandra

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

beacheschef

Maybe

Desiderio

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I do! But I've suggested Kelly (my +1) attend the other session - so I can find out what there is to learn.

Maybe we re-jigger the schedule a bit so that your session runs parallel to the kitchen time. I've been giving that some thought.

What ever works!

I had been hoping to find a nice place to have dinner on Saturday night. As I said in a previous post, my first choice, a truly wonderful Italian restaurant won't take a group on Friday or Saturday night. I've spent some time scouring the area around where we will be for something at least we could all enjoy. So far, I've not had much luck, either from location size constraints, or simply being unwilling to host a party as large as ours.

At the moment, the most likely possibility is to make a reservation at a place called "Copper Canyon Grill". It has the benefits of being nearby, and while not what I would consider (mind you I have high standards) outstanding food, it's good food. The down side is that they don't have a private room, but we should be able to get seated in a grouping of tables near each other so conversation wouldn't be inhibited.

My objective is to have a good meal, and to INCLUDE this as part of the weekend fee. In other words, not to ask you for more $.

For the few of us that are "local", if you have any ideas, please let me know.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Two restaurant suggestions, don't know if you have looked into them already, the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Gaithersburg or Addies in Rockville. No objections to Copper Canyon Grill if that is what works best for a group this size.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them both out. I love Addie's but hadn't considered it because of it's size.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I'd like to attend if it's still possible to join the group. I have some equipment that I can bring if I know what might be needed. I'm local so shipping isn't an issue.

Mark

Mark - You are more than welcome. Why don't you tell us a little about yourself and what you are or would like to be doing?

Edited by lebowits (log)

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Yes, just guessing / hoping that one of the rooms at Addie's might be large enough for our group.

I'm striking out pretty much all over. The conflict is that we're talking about a Saturday evening during the dinner rush. I've only found ONE place (Rio Grande) which is even willing to work with me on this. While it's not "upscale" in any way, they do have good food and plentiful margaritas.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Attendees as of 16 March 2010

If I have this correctly, we now have 21 confirmed attendees. Please let me know if I have your name in the wrong group.

Yes

lebowits

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal +1

RobertM

psantucc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

truffleguy

ejw50

ChrisHennes +1

jimdiii

ArtMills +1

alexandra

beacheschef

Mark H

95% Yes

brokenscale

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

Maybe

Desiderio

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steve,

When you've contacted the places, have you asked to speak to the manager? A year back I was trying to get a place for a family get together and ran into the same roadblocks. When I spoke to a manager things got a lot easier, the folks on the phone only know "the policy". Not sure if it will help but it might be worth a try.

Steve,

When you've contacted the places, have you asked to speak to the manager? A year back I was trying to get a place for a family get together and ran into the same roadblocks. When I spoke to a manager things got a lot easier, the folks on the phone only know "the policy". Not sure if it will help but it might be worth a try.

I have indeed been speaking with the managers face-to-face. After a few unsuccessful attempts via phone, I figured a reasonably well dressed person in front of them might be more successful. Unfortunately, it hasn't changed the dynamics of Saturday night business for these places.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

thanks for all of your work! I still owe you my fee, should I send a check?

At this point, just bring it with you. Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Event Update

Event Information

Event: 2010 Candy & Confectionery Workshop

Dates: Friday, 16 April 2010 - Sunday, 18 April 2010

Location: L'Academie de Cuisine, 16006 Industrial Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 2087 USA [map]

Note: This event is not sponsored or endorsed by L'Academie de Cuisine.

Fee: USD $150.00

This fee is intended to cover all facility rental, required staff labor, and materials (edible or otherwise) for the event. Any leftover funds at the end of the event will be donated to the eGullet Society.

Accommodation

Reservations should be made by Friday, 12 March 2010 in order to guarantee the group rate. Links have been provided for each hotel below. The links to the first 2 hotels will take you directly to the hotel web site with the appropriate group code.

1. Springhill Suites - USD $64 - $104 including breakfast [map]
  2. Courtyard by Marriott - USD $64 [map]
  3. Homestead Studio Suites - USD $69.99 (kitchenette) [map]

Call the hotel directly at +1-301-987-9100 and ask for the "eGullet Workshop" group block when making a reservation.

Agenda (tentative as of 12 November 2009)

Friday, 16 April 2010

• 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Modern Truffle & Praline Techniques with Albert Uster Imports Assistant Corporate Pastry Chef Amanda Haba

Albert Uster Imports is a provider of pastry and chocolate products for the professional chef. They are located next door to L'Academie de Cuisine and have a long history with the school.

• 7:00 - ??? Evening Social & Chocolate Tasting

Show off your work! Bring a little something to share. We'll find a nosh or two and some wine and drinks and spend a little time getting to know each other better.

Saturday, 17 April 2010

• 8:00 - 8:30 Breakfast and Introductions
  • 8:30 - 10:00 "Bean to Bar" - Grinding Cacao and Nuts @ Home - Andal Balu of Inno Concepts/CocaoTown
  • 10:00 - 10:15 Break
  • 10:15 - 11:45 Flavor Dynamics - A discussion crafting and combining flavors into your products - Leader lebowits
  • 11:45 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
  • 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Lab Work - Putting Theory into Practice
  • 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Introductory Chocolate Techniques (tempering, ganaches, molding, etc.) - Kerry Beal a.k.a. "The Chocolate Doctor"
  • 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm Cleanup
  • 6:15 pm Group Dinner - Proposed Roundtable Discussion - Starting a Business - Lessons Learned (All)

Sunday, 18 April 2010

• 8:30 am Breakfast
  • 9:00 am - 10:30 "Decorating your Products, Color, Texture, Fluffy Bits on Top" - Either open discussion or speaker TBD
  • 10:30 - 10:45 Break
  • 10:45 - 12:00 Lab Work - Continuation from Saturday & Decoration Techniques
  • 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
  • 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm Lab Work - Continued
  • 3:30 - 4:30 Final Cleanup

Attendees as of 16 March 2010

Yes

lebowits

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal +1

RobertM

psantucc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

ejw50

ChrisHennes +1

jimdiii

ArtMills +1

alexandra

beacheschef

Mark H

95% Yes

brokenscale

Fran

Desperately wanting to

Lior

Maybe

Desiderio

truffleguy

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things