• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2010 Candy & Confectionery Conference [PLAN]

lebowits

I can bring a mold'art - either 3 or 6 kg or both. I'll bring along the silk screening stuff. I guess I'd better bring along my box of basic tempering stuff for the basic class and a couple of molds for that purpose.

I have no food restrictions - game to try anything.

Do we need any digital scales? How about mold vibrating tables (I don't have one but would like to see how they work)? I can bring my scale and some polycarbonate molds.

No restaurant restrictions. Looking forward to the conference!

Forgot to put in my two cents about the restaurant. I'm up for most anything. Not a big fish/seafood/sushi eater. Not a huge fan of Chinese. BUT, any eG trip is about trying new things and I'm ok with whatever you pick. We have tons of good Italian here, especially in my neighborhood, so unless it's really, really outstanding or the place is super accommodating of us, I'd rather have something else. But I only say so because you asked.

Here is the list of items I have that I can bring

ACMC Tempering Machine

Savage Caramel Cutter

Copper Kettles (if needed)

Small Panning Unit

Badger 250 airbrush and air compressor

Regardless of where we go to eat, I'm sure I could find something - so, I'll go with the crowd on that one

Bob

Bob -

Thanks for the equipment offer. I think we can certainly use the tempering machine and airbrush. I'm curious about your caramel cutter. Is it what I expect, e.g. the "rolling pin from hell"?

Forgot to mention that I also have a guitar in case we need it.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Do we need any digital scales? How about mold vibrating tables (I don't have one but would like to see how they work)? I can bring my scale and some polycarbonate molds.

No restaurant restrictions. Looking forward to the conference!

Good call on the scale(s). We can manage without a vibrating table but if anyone has a portable unit they can bring, it would be fun to have. I have 2 scales that I can bring with me. I suspect what we'll do is put the scales on a table with ingredients and have everyone measure in that one place.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I can bring a good thermometer too

Another good call. If you have a favorite thermometer, please bring it. There are never enough.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Here's what I have that I could bring, subject to weight limitations

of suitcase.

- mol d'art 6 kg

- badger 250 + compressor

- lots of molds (max 3 of each type though)

- cocoa butter, different colors

- luster dust

- small paintbrushes

- thermometers

- dental vibrator

- Laptop (Excel!)

- electronic scale

- hazelnut paste, hazelnut praline, pistachio paste.

let me know. If no needs, I'll just bring some small stuff.

No food restrictions at any restaurant.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

hey steve,

what address did you want us to send a check to? and no restrictions on restaurant, but i always strive to try new or exciting things...also, are we in need of wine? or are we grabbing some while in MD? unless we can sway kerry to bring her beautiful and much coveted ice wine :)

Here's what I have that I could bring, subject to weight limitations

of suitcase.

- mol d'art 6 kg

- badger 250 + compressor

- lots of molds (max 3 of each type though)

- cocoa butter, different colors

- luster dust

- small paintbrushes

- thermometers

- dental vibrator

- Laptop (Excel!)

- electronic scale

- hazelnut paste, hazelnut praline, pistachio paste.

let me know. If no needs, I'll just bring some small stuff.

No food restrictions at any restaurant.

Feel free to bring a few molds, but no need to bring a bunch. We have a number of local folks, including me that have plenty.

The scale and the dental vibrator would likely be the most useful items given weight and space. The hazelnut and pistachio paste would also be welcome if you are willing to share such expensive ingredients.

I expect to have colored cocoa butters and can bring some lustre dusts that I've been using. I don't use them that much and have small jars of several colors.

Depending on how many folks we have offering to bring melters, I'll let you know. We now have 2 temperers (larger than 1 kg) plus 1 or more small temperers.

Thanks for the offer.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Of the folks coming to the event, how many of you would want to participate in Kerry's basic chocolate skills portion of the program?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I do! But I've suggested Kelly (my +1) attend the other session - so I can find out what there is to learn.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Of the folks coming to the event, how many of you would want to participate in Kerry's basic chocolate skills portion of the program?

I do. I'm helpless without my machine and would like to improve that.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

I'm considering where we should dine together Saturday evening. I visited my first choice today and they won't reserve for a large party on a Saturday night.

Does anyone have any dietary concerns that I should be aware of when choosing a cuisine or restaurant?

Does anyone have violent reactions to a particular cuisine, e.g. Italian, Thai, etc?

Please let me know ASAP.

No objections based on cuisine or dietary restrictions. I have a general preference for the local and unique whenever I travel.

Here is the list of items I have that I can bring

Small Panning Unit

Bob

At the risk of inappropriate fanboy sentiment: Panning! How cool is that!

It's on my someday list.

I do! But I've suggested Kelly (my +1) attend the other session - so I can find out what there is to learn.

I sort of figured YOU would be attending. My question was more directed at finding out how many others wanted to learn or review this with you. If noone wants to do so, there's no point in you sitting there all by yourself!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Another question for the attendees!

I've received a request from a local reporter who writes food pieces for a local paper. If her editor approves, she would like to come do a piece on our workshop. Pictures will almost certainly be involved. Before I say "yes", does anyone have any objections? Anyone in witness protection or on the lamb from the law?

Let me know in the next few days so I can respond to her in a timely manner.

Thanks.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I've received a request from a local reporter who writes food pieces for a local paper. If her editor approves, she would like to come do a piece on our workshop. Pictures will almost certainly be involved. Before I say "yes", does anyone have any objections? Anyone in witness protection or on the lamb from the law?

Thanks.

I am currently on the right side of the law, so no objections. And I would attend Kerry's beginners class.

Thanks.

No objections here.

I am planning to attend Kerry's basic chocolate skills class. Hoping there will be some way to find out what was discussed during the Flavor Dynamics session (conference notes, etc.).

Just a note that I am the freelance food writer in question--I know many of you will recognize me from my long history with the community here. No guarantees of coverage are offered or implied, I just think a story on this gathering would be of interest to my primary paper's readership.

Just a note that I am the freelance food writer in question--I know many of you will recognize me from my long history with the community here. No guarantees of coverage are offered or implied, I just think a story on this gathering would be of interest to my primary paper's readership.

Rochelle,

I hope your editor is interested in the story - I would love the opportunity to meet you after following your posts for years on eG.

Thanks.

Fine by me - I regained the rights to my image about 3 months ago.

I received an e-mail from Drew Logan at Albert Uster Imports. Drew will be trying out for the US Team which will compete in the next Coupe de Monde and unfortunately, the this occurs April 16 & 17.

Standing in for Drew will be Amanda Haba, Assistant Pastry Chef at AUI. Amanda will be assisted by Briea Nathan who is an extern from the Notter School in Orlando, Florida.

I'll post an updated schedule shortly. I'm sure we all wish Drew good luck in securing a spot on the team.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things