• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2010 Candy & Confectionery Conference [PLAN]

lebowits

Homestead Studio Suites for me. Painful reservation process I must say - but will be nice to have a kitchen with that many days away from home.

I'm guessing that you're staying longer than the 2 or 3 nights you would need just for the workshop.

Coming in Thursday and leaving Monday. Of course I haven't booked transportation yet.

Homestead Studio Suites for me. Painful reservation process I must say - but will be nice to have a kitchen with that many days away from home.

I'm guessing that you're staying longer than the 2 or 3 nights you would need just for the workshop.

Coming in Thursday and leaving Monday. Of course I haven't booked transportation yet.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

For those attending, can you please let me know where you will be staying either by sending me a PM or posting?

I'm at the SpringHill. I can manage on their continental breakfast fare, but I really have to make my own coffee B-}=

Thanks for arranging the really great rates.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

For those attending, can you please let me know where you will be staying either by sending me a PM or posting?

I'm at the SpringHill. I can manage on their continental breakfast fare, but I really have to make my own coffee B-}=

Thanks for arranging the really great rates.

I'm hoping you won't have to rely solely on their breakfast fare. As Kerry did last year, I'm going to try and have a variety of breakfast foods available for Saturday and Sunday morning. No promises yet what I'll have, but it's on the list of "to do".

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Hi, This is Jim Davis and I will attend the workshop. Thanks for all your work setting this up.

Welcome Jim. Look forward to seeing you at the conference. Tell us a little about yourself.

Attendees as of 23 February 2010

Yes

lebowits

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal +1

RobertM

psantucc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

truffleguy

ejw50

ChrisHennes +1

jimdiii

95% Yes

ArtMills +1

brokenscale

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

beacheschef

Maybe

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I have been watching this thread with anticipation, and really looking forward to attending but it looks like I am going to have to drop out for this year. The timing is not right this spring.

I will just have to join you through watching the posts on egullet :smile:

I'm sorry you won't be able to join us. We'll do our best to keep everyone posted online.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

hey...wondering.... could we/would we ever go into chocolate work with pastries? i would love to learn some pastry dessert techniques from others (i see we have a discussion right now on mousse molding and glazing etc) and i would LOVE to learn about molds or equipment used and if we could do some recipes that are stable for individual desserts (like some mousses are good to eat with a spoon, fill a cake, or stand alone as a component cake etc) but yes...anything with chocolate decoration work (like fun ways to decorate a dessert or cake) or chocolate boxes to fill with a cream or fruit, or again, learn some fun component cakes or tarts or individual desserts....

let me know if this is way off topic :0)

and sorry i've been MIA, its been a month at the store and i'm exhausted! will update soon.

xoxo to my chocolate friends!

Event Update

Event Information

Event: 2010 Candy & Confectionery Workshop

Dates: Friday, 16 April 2010 - Sunday, 18 April 2010

Location: L'Academie de Cuisine, 16006 Industrial Drive, Gaithersburg, MD

2087 USA [map]

Note: This event is not sponsored or endorsed by L'Academie de Cuisine.

Fee: USD $150.00

This fee is intended to cover all facility rental, required staff labor, and materials (edible or otherwise) for the event. Any leftover funds at the end of the event will be donated to the eGullet Society.

Accommodation

Reservations should be made by Friday, 12 March 2010 in order to guarantee the group rate. Links have been provided for

each hotel below. The links to the first 2 hotels will take you directly to the hotel web site with the appropriate

group code.

1. Springhill Suites - USD $64 - $104 including breakfast [map]
  2. Courtyard by Marriott - USD $64 [map]
  3. Homestead Studio Suites - USD $69.99 (kitchenette) [map]

Call the hotel directly at +1-301-987-9100 and ask for the "eGullet Workshop" group block when making a reservation.

Agenda (tentative as of 12 November 2009)

Friday, 16 April 2010

• 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Modern Truffle & Praline Techniques with Albert Uster Imports
    Corporate Pastry Chef Drew Long

Albert Uster Imports is a provider of pastry and chocolate products for the professional chef. They are located next door to L'Academie de Cuisine and have a long history with the school. Chef Logan assumed his position at AUI in November 2009 after leading teams at a number of 4 and 5 start resorts.

• 7:00 - ??? Evening Social & Chocolate Tasting

Show off your work! Bring a little something to share. We'll find a nosh or two and some wine and drinks and spend a little time getting to know each other better.

Saturday, 17 April 2010

• 8:00 - 8:30 Breakfast and Introductions
  • 8:30 - 10:00 "Bean to Bar" - Grinding Cacao and Nuts @ Home - Andal Balu of
    Inno Concepts/CocaoTown
  • 10:00 - 10:15 Break
  • 10:15 - 11:45 Introductory Chocolate Techniques (tempering, ganaches, molding, etc.) - Kerry Beal a.k.a. "The Chocolate Doctor"
  • 10:15 - 11:45 Flavor Dynamics - A discussion crafting and combining flavors into your products - Leader lebowits &
    TruffleGuy
  • 11:45 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
  • 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Lab Work - Putting Theory into Practice
  • 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm Cleanup
  • 7:00 pm Group Dinner - Proposed Roundtable Discussion - Starting a Business - Lessons Learned (All)

Sunday, 18 April 2010

• 8:30 am Breakfast
  • 9:00 am - 10:30 "Decorating your Products, Color, Texture, Fluffy Bits on Top" - Either open discussion or speaker TBD
  • 10:30 - 10:45 Break
  • 10:45 - 12:00 Lab Work - Continuation from Saturday & Decoration Techniques
  • 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
  • 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm Lab Work - Continued
  • 3:30 - 4:30 Final Cleanup

Attendees as of 1 March 2010

Yes

lebowits

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal +1

RobertM

psantucc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

truffleguy

ejw50

ChrisHennes +1

jimdiii

95% Yes

ArtMills +1

brokenscale

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

beacheschef

Maybe

Desiderio

Edited by lebowits (log)

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Yahoo - Truffleguy is definite?!!!!!

He's seemed definite when I saw him last in February. Will speak with him again when he gets back from his current trip.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

OK - It's official we've booked our room at SpringHill Suites, so you can move us up to the "definite" category.

Look forward to seeing you all there!

Art & Wilma.

Woo hoo! Glad to have you aboard!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

OK - It's official we've booked our room at SpringHill Suites, so you can move us up to the "definite" category.

Look forward to seeing you all there!

Art & Wilma.

Art, are you and Wilma driving (she asks - thinking of all the stuff she needs to take - but probably flying)?

Attendees as of 2 March 2010

Yes

lebowits

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal +1

RobertM

psantucc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

truffleguy

ejw50

ChrisHennes +1

jimdiii

ArtMills +1

95% Yes

brokenscale

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

beacheschef

Maybe

Desiderio

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Hi Kerry,

Yes we are driving down leaving Thursday afternoon for Friday late morning arrival. We'd be happy to load up a couple of items for you. You probably have a better idea of what is needed - is there anything specific from our equipment we shoud bring? You know we have lots (couple of small table top temperers, guitar cutter, all kinds of molds, etc.) - just don't want to bring stuff unnecessarily.

I've abandonded the idea of visiting Blommer Chocolate factory on the way down - Philly is just too far out of the way. But we will visit a winery just over the river in Virginia on the way down or on the way home Monday.

Whatever you want - just drop it by the house a couple of days ahead of time.

- Art

It is in exchanging the gifts of the earth that you shall find abundance and be satisfied - Kahlil Gibran

art@chocolatefx.ca

Hi Kerry,

Yes we are driving down leaving Thursday afternoon for Friday late morning arrival. We'd be happy to load up a couple of items for you. You probably have a better idea of what is needed - is there anything specific from our equipment we shoud bring? You know we have lots (couple of small table top temperers, guitar cutter, all kinds of molds, etc.) - just don't want to bring stuff unnecessarily.

I've abandonded the idea of visiting Blommer Chocolate factory on the way down - Philly is just too far out of the way. But we will visit a winery just over the river in Virginia on the way down or on the way home Monday.

Whatever you want - just drop it by the house a couple of days ahead of time.

- Art

Thanks Art - I'll figure out what is necessary to take and get it to you.

I've been promising to put out the call for equipment for some time. Thank you all who have been both offering and asking about this.

First. We will be in a pretty well equipped kitchen with all of the bowls, spatulas, and other "standard" items you can expect.

I personally have a Chocovision X3210 temperer which can hold about 10 lbs of chocolate at a time. I believe we'll need at least one more temperer or melter that we can temper chocolate in. Does anyone have one they can bring?

I also have a selection of caramel rulers in varying sizes and various polycarbonate molds. If you have a favorite mold you would like to bring, please do so.

As of today, I believe we'll have lots of chocolate to work with. I've secured donations of chocolate, glucose, invert sugar, and colored cocoa butters. I'll be bringing a selection of liquers for flavoring agents. We may also have a donation of flavorings/oils to come.

What else do you think we need? What can/would you bring? I'll start making a list.

Thanks for all your offers of help and the help to come!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I personally have a Chocovision X3210 temperer which can hold about 10 lbs of chocolate at a time. I believe we'll need at least one more temperer or melter that we can temper chocolate in. Does anyone have one they can bring?

I also have a selection of caramel rulers in varying sizes and various polycarbonate molds. If you have a favorite mold you would like to bring, please do so.

My Chocovision Sinsation (roughly a Revolation 2 without some of the control features, 1.5 # capacity) is at your disposal.

I'm also bringing the hacky tools I made to use as carmel rulers just to see reactions. I don't expect anyone else will want to use them, but you're welcome if you dare!

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

My Chocovision Sinsation (roughly a Revolation 2 without some of the control features, 1.5 # capacity) is at your disposal.

I'm also bringing the hacky tools I made to use as carmel rulers just to see reactions. I don't expect anyone else will want to use them, but you're welcome if you dare!

Thanks for that. I also have a Rev 2 that I neglected to mention. I would like to see if we can come up with at least one other large® temperer/melter so we can have dark & milk or dark & white chocolate available for molding.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I'm considering where we should dine together Saturday evening. I visited my first choice today and they won't reserve for a large party on a Saturday night.

Does anyone have any dietary concerns that I should be aware of when choosing a cuisine or restaurant?

Does anyone have violent reactions to a particular cuisine, e.g. Italian, Thai, etc?

Please let me know ASAP.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Here is the list of items I have that I can bring

ACMC Tempering Machine

Savage Caramel Cutter

Copper Kettles (if needed)

Small Panning Unit

Badger 250 airbrush and air compressor

Regardless of where we go to eat, I'm sure I could find something - so, I'll go with the crowd on that one

Bob

I've been promising to put out the call for equipment for some time. Thank you all who have been both offering and asking about this.

First. We will be in a pretty well equipped kitchen with all of the bowls, spatulas, and other "standard" items you can expect.

As of today, I believe we'll have lots of chocolate to work with. I've secured donations of chocolate, glucose, invert sugar, and colored cocoa butters. I'll be bringing a selection of liquers for flavoring agents. We may also have a donation of flavorings/oils to come.

What else do you think we need? What can/would you bring? I'll start making a list.

Thanks for all your offers of help and the help to come!

Last year I wished I had a candy thermometer.