• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2010 Candy & Confectionery Conference [PLAN]

lebowits

We took a big step today and placed a $500 deposit on the kitchen/classroom we'll be using.

Looking forward to seeing you all in April!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I've just had an idea for the Saturday night business discussion which parallels the Friday night 'showoff your work'. We could bring samples of the local competition to share as an illustration of the environment in which we each work.

I might have had the idea because my local area is just large enough to have local candymakers, but not so big that I can't afford to supply samples, so I certainly won't be offended if it doesn't sound like a good idea to others. I thought it better to mention the thought now than to show up with a few pounds of Bon-Bons that I don't really like B-}=.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Sadly, I think I should drop from the "yes" list to the "probably not" list. Just don't think it's going to work out this year.

I'm sorry that you won't be able to make it. I hope things work out and that you CAN join us. The door is always open!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Attendees as of 28 January 2010

Yes

lebowits

beacheschef

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

psantucc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

95% Yes

ArtMills +1

truffleguy

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

Maybe

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

brokenscale

ChrisHennes +1

ejw50

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

It's looking more and more like I'm in the "maybe" category, not the "wouldn't miss it for the world" category. Recent car repairs drained my savings account. If I find some "mad money", I'll be on my way...

Say it ain't so! I hope you'll find a way to make it.

P.S. let you an e-mail a few days ago.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Attendees as of 2 February 2010

Please let me know if there are any errors.

Yes

lebowits

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

psantucc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

95% Yes

ArtMills +1

truffleguy

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

beacheschef

Maybe

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

brokenscale

ChrisHennes +1

ejw50

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

• 2 weeks later...

Move me into the 'in' column!

What equipment or ingredients do we need? Can bring melter, vacuum sealer, colored cocoa butter, ingredients, whatever we want that fits in the suitcase.

Glad you can join us! I'll start organizing what we'll need to bring right around the first of March. I'm still working on getting some sponsorship worked out. I expect that mostly what we'll need are melters, caramel rulers, molds, etc.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Event Update

Event Information

Event: 2010 Candy & Confectionery Workshop

Dates: Friday, 16 April 2010 - Sunday, 18 April 2010

Location: L'Academie de Cuisine, 16006 Industrial Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 2087 USA [map]

Note: This event is not sponsored or endorsed by L'Academie de Cuisine.

Fee: USD $150.00

This fee is intended to cover all facility rental, required staff labor, and materials (edible or otherwise) for the event. Any leftover funds at the end of the event will be donated to the eGullet Society.

Accommodation

Reservations should be made by Friday, 12 March 2010 in order to guarantee the group rate. Links have been provided for each hotel below. The links to the first 2 hotels will take you directly to the hotel web site with the appropriate group code.

1. Springhill Suites - USD $64 - $104 including breakfast [map]
  2. Courtyard by Marriott - USD $64 [map]
  3. Homestead Studio Suites - USD $69.99 (kitchenette) [map]

Call the hotel directly at +1-301-987-9100 and ask for the "eGullet Workshop" group block when making a reservation.

Agenda (tentative as of 12 November 2009)

Friday, 16 April 2010

• 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Modern Truffle & Praline Techniques with Albert Uster Imports Corporate Pastry Chef Drew Long

Albert Uster Imports is a provider of pastry and chocolate products for the professional chef. They are located next door to L'Academie de Cuisine and have a long history with the school. Chef Logan assumed his position at AUI in November 2009 after leading teams at a number of 4 and 5 start resorts.

• 7:00 - ??? Evening Social & Chocolate Tasting

Show off your work! Bring a little something to share. We'll find a nosh or two and some wine and drinks and spend a little time getting to know each other better.

Saturday, 17 April 2010

• 8:00 - 8:30 Breakfast and Introductions
  • 8:30 - 10:00 "Bean to Bar" - Grinding Cacao and Nuts @ Home - Andal Balu of Inno Concepts/CocaoTown
  • 10:00 - 10:15 Break
  • 10:15 - 11:45 Introductory Chocolate Techniques (tempering, ganaches, molding, etc.) - Kerry Beal a.k.a. "The Chocolate Doctor"
  • 10:15 - 11:45 Flavor Dynamics - A discussion crafting and combining flavors into your products - Leader lebowits & TruffleGuy
  • 11:45 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
  • 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Lab Work - Putting Theory into Practice
  • 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm Cleanup
  • 7:00 pm Group Dinner - Proposed Roundtable Discussion - Starting a Business - Lessons Learned (All)

Sunday, 18 April 2010

• 8:30 am Breakfast
  • 9:00 am - 10:30 "Decorating your Products, Color, Texture, Fluffy Bits on Top" - Either open discussion or speaker TBD
  • 10:30 - 10:45 Break
  • 10:45 - 12:00 Lab Work - Continuation from Saturday & Decoration Techniques
  • 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
  • 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm Lab Work - Continued
  • 3:30 - 4:30 Final Cleanup

Attendees as of 15 February 2010

Yes

lebowits

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

psantucc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

truffleguy

ejw50

95% Yes

ArtMills +1

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

beacheschef

Maybe

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

brokenscale

ChrisHennes +1

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Please make sure to book your hotel accommodation BEFORE the March 12 cut-off date for our group rate!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I've got a hotel room (wow, Steve, those group rates at the Springhill Suites are fantastic!), but I'm still holding out hope for the direct flight to Dulles to come down in price a little. So I don't know what percentage that puts me at... probably still just "Maybe".

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I've got a hotel room (wow, Steve, those group rates at the Springhill Suites are fantastic!), but I'm still holding out hope for the direct flight to Dulles to come down in price a little. So I don't know what percentage that puts me at... probably still just "Maybe".

when i lived in oklahoma i used to take southwest flights from okc to baltimore for 50 bucks. 100 round trip, the metro will cost you 10. Parking at the airport is expensive, normans only 45 min away have someone drop you off at the airport if at all possible. Last month i left my car there for 4 days and paid over 100 bucks

Attendees: I live in Alexandria; have off on Friday April 16th and will be driving to Gaithersburg for the start of the conference - I could possibly pick up individuals arriving into Reagan National and/or Dulles Airport if needed. (National is closest and most direct to Gaithersburg, but am happy to assist if I can).

Bob

when i lived in oklahoma i used to take southwest flights from okc to baltimore for 50 bucks. 100 round trip, the metro will cost you 10. Parking at the airport is expensive, normans only 45 min away have someone drop you off at the airport if at all possible. Last month i left my car there for 4 days and paid over 100 bucks

Those days are long gone! Today, it looks like the least expensive flights are $128 each way. In order to get that, you'll have to fly Thursday April 15 and it doesn't seem to matter much for the return.

I hope we'll see you then!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Attendees as of 16 February 2010

Yes

lebowits

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

psantucc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

truffleguy

ejw50

95% Yes

ArtMills +1

brokenscale

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

beacheschef

Maybe

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

ChrisHennes +1

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steve, put me down for a plus 1 (participating). I suspect I'll be flying so won't be able to bring as much stuff. I'll have to figure out what I'm going to need and make sure it will be available.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I can probably be of some assistance with transportation and equipment as well - I'm driving in and should arrive at the Springhill something like 3 am on the Friday, so I could easily shuttle people from the Metro station and probably manage an airport. We'll settle details once we are closer.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

For those attending, can you please let me know where you will be staying either by sending me a PM or posting? I'd like to arrange a room for our Friday night gathering at the location where the majority will be staying. It will cut down on moving about, especially if we start having a drink or 2.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Attendees as of 18 February 2010

Yes

lebowits

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal +1

RobertM

psantucc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

truffleguy

ejw50

ChrisHennes +1

95% Yes

ArtMills +1

brokenscale

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

beacheschef

Maybe

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Homestead Studio Suites for me. Painful reservation process I must say - but will be nice to have a kitchen with that many days away from home.

I'm guessing that you're staying longer than the 2 or 3 nights you would need just for the workshop.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things