• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2010 Candy & Confectionery Conference [PLAN]

lebowits

I am a YES!! on attending the conference.

I use El Rey and Callebaut and Noel, though the Calle is about to get get replaced with something else, probably Valrhona.

I have several different models of spray guns I could bring for demos, maybe a compare/contrast element for attendees to try different machines??

I think the spray guns would be an excellent idea. I also appreciate the other folks offering to bring equipment. We'll have to coordinate that as we get closer to the event. While it's hard to have TOO MUCH, I don't want to ask people to carry a great deal only to have it sit on or under a table the whole weekend.

Thanks for all the offers! I truly appreciate it.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I'm a new member here and would like to sign on for the conference.

Thanks,

Linda

Welcome Linda! I hope you find the discussions here worthwhile. We look forward to hearing about what you're doing and helping with your questions.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Another topic request for your consideration: Basic Pulled Sugar

I've never quite managed the right combination of heating, holding, and cooling to pull off (sorry) even something as simple as Candy Canes. I think it's an area of study best done live. Does anyone else feel weak in this area?

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Another topic request for your consideration: Basic Pulled Sugar

I've never quite managed the right combination of heating, holding, and cooling to pull off (sorry) even something as simple as Candy Canes. I think it's an area of study best done live. Does anyone else feel weak in this area?

I personally am incredibly weak in this area. I've only done it one (and poorly at that) several years ago in a 5 day class. The issue will be finding someone who is actually GOOD at this who can both demonstrate and coach others. Any volunteers?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Event Update

Event Information

Event: 2010 Candy & Confectionery Workshop

Dates: Friday, 16 April 2010 - Sunday, 18 April 2010

Location: L'Academie de Cuisine, 16006 Industrial Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 2087 USA [map]

Note: This event is not sponsored or endorsed by L'Academie de Cuisine.

Fee: USD $150.00

This fee is intended to cover all facility rental, required staff labor, and materials (edible or otherwise) for the event. Any leftover funds at the end of the event will be donated to the eGullet Society.

Accommodation

Reservations should be made by Friday, 12 March 2010 in order to guarantee the group rate. Links have been provided for each hotel below. The links to the first 2 hotels will take you directly to the hotel web site with the appropriate group code.

1. Springhill Suites - USD $64 - $104 including breakfast [map]
  2. Courtyard by Marriott - USD $64 [map]
  3. Homestead Studio Suites - USD $69.99 (kitchenette) [map]

Call the hotel directly at +1-301-987-9100 and ask for the "eGullet Workshop" group block when making a reservation.

Agenda (tentative as of 12 November 2009)

Friday, 16 April 2010

• 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Albert Uster Imports with Corporate Pastry Chef Drew Long

Albert Uster Imports is a provider of pastry and chocolate products for the professional chef. They are located next door to L'Academie de Cuisine and have a long history with the school. Chef Logan and his staff will spend seveal hours with us discussing and demonstrating a topic as yet to be determined but which I believe will be fun and educational for us all. Chef Logan assumed his position at AUI in November 2009 after leading teams at a number of 4 and 5 start resorts.

• 7:00 - ??? Evening Social & Chocolate Tasting

Show off your work! Bring a little something to share. We'll find a nosh or two and some wine and drinks and spend a little time getting to know each other better.

Saturday, 17 April 2010

• 8:30 am Breakfast and Introductions
  • 9:00 am - 12:00 pm TBD
  • 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
  • 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm TBD
  • 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm Cleanup
  • 7:00 pm Group Dinner (TBD)

Sunday, 18 April 2010

• 8:30 am Breakfast
  • 9:00 am - 12:00 TBD
  • 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm TBD
  • 3:30 - 4:30 Final Cleanup

Attendees as of 18 November 2009

Yes

lebowits

beacheschef

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

psantucc

tammylc

pringle007

Linda S

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

Maybe

emmalish

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

cmflick

MelissaH

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

• 1 month later...

Event Update

A proposed agenda has been added. Please offer comments and suggestions.

Event Information

Location: L'Academie de Cuisine, 16006 Industrial Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 2087 USA [map]

This fee is intended to cover all facility rental, required staff labor, and materials (edible or otherwise) for the event. Any leftover funds at the end of the event will be donated to the eGullet Society.

Accommodation

Reservations should be made by Friday, 12 March 2010 in order to guarantee the group rate. Links have been provided for each hotel below. The links to the first 2 hotels will take you directly to the hotel web site with the appropriate group code.

Call the hotel directly at +1-301-987-9100 and ask for the "eGullet Workshop" group block when making a reservation.

Friday, 16 April 2010

Albert Uster Imports is a provider of pastry and chocolate products for the professional chef. They are located next door to L'Academie de Cuisine and have a long history with the school. Chef Logan and his staff will spend seveal hours with us discussing and demonstrating a topic as yet to be determined but which I believe will be fun and educational for us all. Chef Logan assumed his position at AUI in November 2009 after leading teams at a number of 4 and 5 start resorts.

Show off your work! Bring a little something to share. We'll find a nosh or two and some wine and drinks and spend a little time getting to know each other better.

Saturday, 17 April 2010

• 8:00 - 8:30 Breakfast and Introductions
  • 8:30 - 10:00 "Bean to Bar" - Grinding Cacao and Nuts @ Home - Andal Balu of Inno Concepts/CocaoTown
  • 10:00 - 10:15 Break
  • 10:15 - 11:45 Introductory Chocolate Techniques (tempering, ganaches, molding, etc.) - Kerry Beal a.k.a. "The Chocolate Doctor"
  • 10:15 - 11:45 Flavor Dynamics - A discussion crafting and combining flavors into your products - Leader TBD
  • 11:45 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
  • 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Lab Work - Putting Theory into Practice
  • 7:00 pm Group Dinner - Proposed Roundtable Discussion - Starting a Business - Lessons Learned (All)

Sunday, 18 April 2010

• 9:00 am - 10:30 "Decorating your Products, Color, Texture, Fluffy Bits on Top" - Either open discussion or speaker TBD
  • 10:30 - 10:45 Break
  • 10:45 - 12:00 Lab Work - Continuation from Saturday & Decoration Techniques
  • 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm Lab Work - Continued

Attendees as of 18 November 2009

Yes

lebowits

beacheschef

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

psantucc

tammylc

pringle007

Linda S

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

Maybe

emmalish

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

cmflick

MelissaH

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I am a home baker who has recently started down the chocolate and candymaking path because of all the information in this forum. I have been reading this forum and egullet for a while but have just recently joined.

Looks like your conference sessions will be helpful to a variety of skill levels. Please sign me up for the conference! Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hello all,

I am agood baker and have tried my hand at confectionery with sea salt caramels and marshmallows, along with a few other treats. I have molded chocolate on occasion but have yet to conquer tempering by any other than the 'seed' method. In a nutshell, I am a serious newbie. Is this conference geared for greenhorns or professionals? I see that people are bringing supplies, I have only a few inexpensive molds and a candy thermometer!!! That's about it! I'd love to go but would feel uncomfortable if I am 'out of my league'.

Thanks

Heather

Heather, we sound pretty similar. I attended last year and had a great time. Definitely in a different category than some of the other attendees who are pros or are turning pro, but there were also several of us "greenhorns" too.

Hello all,

I am agood baker and have tried my hand at confectionery with sea salt caramels and marshmallows, along with a few other treats. I have molded chocolate on occasion but have yet to conquer tempering by any other than the 'seed' method. In a nutshell, I am a serious newbie. Is this conference geared for greenhorns or professionals? I see that people are bringing supplies, I have only a few inexpensive molds and a candy thermometer!!! That's about it! I'd love to go but would feel uncomfortable if I am 'out of my league'.

Thanks

Heather

Heather -

It is our intention to appeal to all skill levels. The "dual track" on the first day is to allow folks who need some help with fundamentals to be able to get that. Whether you just need some help with tempering, or you've never handled chocolate before, we'll do our best.

The other sessions should be of interest to everyone on some level. Flavors and decoration are important to both the beginner and the pro. The goal is to learn from the speakers and each other.

I hope you'll be able to join us. We had a great time last year and I'm hoping this year will be a hit as well.

Steve

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

who are we making payments to? I should know by the end of this week schedule wise if it will work.

Payments can be made to me in advance if you like. This will certainly help me in covering the up front costs. If you would rather pay on-site in April, that will be fine as well.

All payments should be made is US Dollars (for those coming from outside the USA). Please send me a PM if you would like to arrange to pay in advance and I'll send you direct contact information.

Steve

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Event Update

Updated the attendee list as of Friday 9 January 2010. Still looking for comments and suggestions on the agenda. If anyone is interested in leading a discussion or teaching a topic, please let me know.

Event Information

Accommodation

Friday, 16 April 2010

Saturday, 17 April 2010

• 8:30 - 10:00 "Bean to Bar" - Grinding Cacao and Nuts @ Home - Andal Balu of Inno Concepts/CocaoTown
  • 10:15 - 11:45 Introductory Chocolate Techniques (tempering, ganaches, molding, etc.) - Kerry Beal a.k.a. "The Chocolate Doctor"
  • 10:15 - 11:45 Flavor Dynamics - A discussion crafting and combining flavors into your products - Leader TBD
  • 7:00 pm Group Dinner - Proposed Roundtable Discussion - Starting a Business - Lessons Learned (All)

Sunday, 18 April 2010

• 9:00 am - 10:30 "Decorating your Products, Color, Texture, Fluffy Bits on Top" - Either open discussion or speaker TBD

Attendees as of 9 January 2010

Yes

lebowits

beacheschef

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

psantucc

tammylc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

Maybe

emmalish

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

cmflick

MelissaH

brokenscale

Edited by lebowits (log)

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Event Update

Updated attendee list as of 10 Jan 2010.

Desperately seeking feedback on the agenda and looking for volunteers to teach/lead discussions.

Event Information

Accommodation

Friday, 16 April 2010

Saturday, 17 April 2010

Sunday, 18 April 2010

Attendees as of 10 January 2010

Yes

lebowits

beacheschef

David J.

chocoera

Marmish

Kerry Beal

RobertM

psantucc

tammylc

pringle007

Linda S

curls

Desperately wanting to

Darienne

Lior

Maybe

emmalish

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

cmflick

MelissaH

brokenscale

ChrisHennes +1

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Event Update

Maybe

emmalish

Beth Wilson

Desiderio

cmflick

MelissaH

brokenscale

ChrisHennes +1

Oh! I haven't been following this thread at all and had no idea I was on the maybe list! Afraid you'll have to take me off. Not going to make it this year, anyway. I'm hoping this will become a regular occurrence and I'll actually be able to attend some year. :hmmm:

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?