• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duraceramic tiles

MollyB

In the wake a household plumbing disaster, I'm going to be redoing the floors in my house. I'm thinking about Duraceramic tiles in the kitchen and bathroom, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried them in the kitchen. Duraceramic, made by Congoleum, is a composite of vinyl mixed with granite (I think), and looks very much like ceramic tile but is warmer and has some give, so you don't get cracks.

It sounds great and looks nice, but there are very mixed reviews out there. Some people swear it's the best flooring ever, and some people hate it with a passion, saying it's hard to clean and that the tiles are easily cut or dented, and that the corners can chip. Anyone have first-hand experience?

As you've heard, more than a few people have said DuraCeramic is garbage:

DuraCeramic comments at GardenWeb.com

I don't have any firsthand experience, but I'd stay away from it just based on what GWers have to say...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Update: We decided against Duraceramic for the kitchen, as we weren't certain it would hold over time, with the occasional dropped heavy items and spills, and lots of use from people and pets. We would have used it in the bathrooms, but the 8-in tiles are only available in select colors (the standard is a 16-in. tile), and none of the colors worked in our bathrooms.

So the vinal verdict was vinyl for the bathrooms, and ceramic tile in the kitchen.