• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Paella in Seattle?

I did a search on the forum but didn't come up with any results. I'm from Vancouver and am looking to find the best Paella in Seattle as options are quite limited up here (and lackluster). As far as I am aware, there are three restaurants in the Seattle area that serve Paella: Tango, Andaluca, and Gaudi. Are there any opinions on which place is the best?

Of all the options, I have read more reviews on Tango, which are generally positive but usually don't comment on the Paella. I did find a poor photo online that still manages to make it look fantastic.

Paella at Tango Restaurant

If anyone wants to add some off-topic comments on other places I intend to try, I'm interested in:

Alligator Soul (Everett)

Mike's Chili Parlor

HulaHula Lounge

I've already visited many great places like Paseo, Baguette Box, Union, and Zig Zag.

La Taberna del Alabardero is fairly new and I've heard their paella is quite good, though I haven't eaten it myself. I enjoyed their huevos rotos and service is attentive. I would pass on Tango, although the bar is nice for cocktails and non-committal nibbles.

Can't imagine why you would go to Mike's. Never herd of HulaHula till this post - but I wasn't looking either. Some strange options, if inexpensive?

La Taberna is very authentic as I understand it, with many paella options. The old Cascadia spot. I hope you do try it and let us know if it pleased you.

Hula Hula ~ if you're looking for a Tiki Bar, they have decor, but nothing vintage, the drinks are sugary sweet . the vibe is Frat Boy. the food isn't anything wonderful. oh and karoke after 9.

try Tini Biggs next door if you want drinks, Jamie Boudreau has changed the menu and its supposed to be great.

they share the same kitchen, but have different menus.

Can't imagine why you would go to Mike's. Never herd of HulaHula till this post - but I wasn't looking either. Some strange options, if inexpensive?

La Taberna is very authentic as I understand it, with many paella options. The old Cascadia spot. I hope you do try it and let us know if it pleased you.

I first saw Mike's on Food Network's Diners Drive Ins and Dives and thought it would be a great opportunity to try spaghetti with chili, which seems to be a Cincinnati staple. I haven't found a place in Vancouver that serves a good chili. Alligator Soul intrigues me as Southern food is equally as hard to find in Vancouver (a good restaurant called Dadeo just closed).

La Taberna seems like a winner right now, as they specifically mention on their menu they do a paella the traditional Valencian way. Is it formal there? Going to Seattle for a day or two I'd probably go shopping or catch a baseball game and would be dressed accordingly.

Hula Hula ~ if you're looking for a Tiki Bar, they have decor, but nothing vintage, the drinks are sugary sweet . the vibe is Frat Boy.  the food isn't anything wonderful. oh and karoke after 9.

try Tini Biggs next door if you want drinks, Jamie Boudreau has changed the menu and its supposed to be great.

they share the same kitchen, but have different menus.

I was hoping to be able to find an original Trader Vic recipe Mai Tai cocktail with some interesting bites on the side. HulaHula sounds like it started as a good concept that got adapted to modern young people's tastes. Tini Bigs could be an interesting stop at the end of the night.

Edited by jlo mein (log)

From reports, La Taberna is trying to be casual in a formerly formal space. I think they would welcome you no matter how you are dressed - big place, not many diners.

Another option is Brasa. The paella is on the 5-7 pm happy hour bar menu as well as the regular bar menu and the dining room menu.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all your recommendations my girlfriend and I did visit Taberna Del Alabardero last month on a Saturday for lunch. The restaurant was absolutely dead. The space is huge, but there was only one solo diner present when we arrived. The restaurant looks fabulous inside, including the windowed kitchen, and I felt severly underdressed in casual shorts and a t-shirt. Regardless, we still received warm service from our waiter. The Paella Valenciana wasn't on the brunch menu, but when I asked for it the waiter gladly said it would be fine.

The paella comes out tableside in the paelleras pan in quite spectacular fashion. Once you get a good look at it, the waiter delicately serves it out onto plates for you, with great presentation. It tasted absolutely wonderful and made me instantly disdain all the "paellas" I've eaten in Vancouver. The rice was a little too salty, but the juice from the lemon wedge eased it away nicely.

Once again thanks for your recommendations, I enjoyed my lunch there thoroughly.

IMG_2460640.jpg

IMG_2462640.jpg

IMG_2464640.jpg

Edited by jlo mein (log)