• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morel help required

Hi all, checking my seedlings this morning I appear to have found a single morel growing in one of my planters (recently evacuated by a bedraggled mint plant)

now, can't see any sign of others (mind you, this one popped up overnight), so do I pick this single one and scramble up a single egg to have with it, leave it to try and get more or option C - some secret that someone on here knows that will give me a googol-crop of morels?

Hi all, checking my seedlings this morning I appear to have found a single morel growing in one of my planters (recently evacuated by a bedraggled mint plant)

now, can't see any sign of others (mind you, this one popped up overnight), so do I  pick this single one and scramble up a single egg to have with it, leave it to try and get more or option C  - some secret that someone on here knows that will give me a googol-crop of morels?

Its quite likely it is one - apparently they have a fondness for cropping up in the oddest places such as wasteland and the bark mulch of parks and playgrounds. And you may get more than just the one.

That said I'd check what you've got is the real deal and not a false morel.

have a look on the site below

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

Maybe posting a picture is in order?

thought that might be the case (there is talk of Morels in Crystal Palace park though)

Here's a picture:

gallery_26756_6595_94635.jpg

Checked it against false morel sites and it seems the real deal

HI,

If it is hollow, that is the real deal. I would wash it in a bowl of water. Pour the water, which contains the spores, into your planter.

I'd suggest that you slice the mushroom open and gently saute it in a little butter, maybe add some cream and a pinch of salt. Savor the wonderful flavor on its own.

Tim

thought that might be the case (there is talk of Morels in Crystal Palace park though)

Here's a picture:

gallery_26756_6595_94635.jpg

Checked it against false morel sites and it seems the real deal

Well got to say it looks right, the seasons right - all this warm weather after that rain no doubt. And you are right I'm sure I have heard that Crystal Palace has morels.

A Morel on St Georges Day certainly trumps the St Georges Mushroom.

Came upon a large circle of St Georges last night in Ashdown Forest actually. I'd never eaten one before.

I started St Georges day with a St George mushroom omelette.

They have a lovely flavour and very satisfying meaty texture.

Been keeping an eye out for morels on my walks but haven't spotted any yet.

Crystal Palace? please send me details of where I can find them as I'm only a few minutes away!

Friends of mine have found them in the wooded areas in Crystal palace park, also in Dulwich Woods, none this year so far though.

We enjoyed our single morel fried gently in butter - tasted great. Knocked out as much spore as possible into a dish of water, poured it back into the planter.