• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat from Pata Negra ham

I talked the assistant into giving me a large lump of the fat from my pata negra ham today, as I love it almost as much as the meat. I am sure there are recipes in which it is the star (there are a few bits of ham still attached). I'd welcome knowing what I can do with this other than nibble bits. Would it be a waste to render it down? (I suspect so).

I usually melt it and use to confit fat fishes like tuna or salmon.

Also, once diced, you can stir vegetables like peas, broad beans, artichokes ...

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

• 4 months later...

Hi, Poppy. A few months after your original post, but still ...

Iberico fat is wonderful to put over a chicken or turkey, then roast. Keeps the bird nice and moist, and adds that subtle Spanish ham taste.

Happy hamming,

Leslie

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on various factors, as the time it's been cured and how much oxidation has suffered the fat. Once you open the ham, if you left the fat directly in contact with the air, that oxidation will occur, and the astringent will be more present. It is also interesting to try different thickness in the cut, I personally love it cut as a veil, it melts at 25 grades degrees, so it will melt in your mouth.

Carlos