• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cracker Barrel

Nawlins

I haven't been to a Cracker Barrel in over 25 years and I've only been there for breakfasts but I remember over easy eggs, country ham, hash browns, biscuits and sausage gravy that were as good as or better than I could have got anywhere else. But that was a long time ago, I have no idea what they're doing now. As for their employment practices, I didn't know anything about any of that until I read this thread. But if they're genuinely trying to do the right thing (and I'm not saying they are or are not, just basing that on what's been said here), isn't answering "we were wrong but we are striving to do better" with "that's nice but you still did it so we're going to punish you forever" counter-productive to the whole point of calling them out for it in the first place?

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

They have an entire section of their menu called "vegetables and sides" that contains 22 items and 19 of them are without meat. They have 12 salad dressings listed, none of which are likely to contain meat. Maybe one or two contain anchovy as part of the seasoning but I'd be surprised if it was any more than that. They do only appear to have one salad and no entrees that are vegetarian and I'm not sticking up for them and claiming they're vegetarian friendly in nature but if we're going to criticize, it needs to be accurate.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

15 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

They have an entire section of their menu called "vegetables and sides" that contains 22 items and 19 of them are without meat. They have 12 salad dressings listed, none of which are likely to contain meat. Maybe one or two contain anchovy as part of the seasoning but I'd be surprised if it was any more than that. They do only appear to have one salad and no entrees that are vegetarian and I'm not sticking up for them and claiming they're vegetarian friendly in nature but if we're going to criticize, it needs to be accurate.

The one time I checked was in 1989....

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)