• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cracker Barrel

Nawlins

While traveling through Mississippi today, I ate at a Cracker Barrel. Catfish, breaded okra, string beans and hot cornbread muffins. I liked it.

Does this mean I should resign my egullet membership?

I make my husband stop there so we can swap out books on tape. :biggrin:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I feel sad that I can't eat at Cracker Barrel (or shop at Wally World) because of their rotten employment practices. Yes, I vote with my feet.

I'm sad because I like their food, and there's always a Cracker Barrel every third exit across Michigan.

Edited to add: Yeah, that would be a great place to switch out books on tape!

Edited by maggiethecat (log)
  • Like 1

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

We plan trips to PA around Cracker Barrel stops (like, "if we leave at 7 am, we can get to CB, just the right time for breakfast, and if we start home around 6, that would be a good time for dinner...") I am quite hooked on maybe half their menu. Where else in NJ (besides my house) can you get beans, greens, and cawnbread?

But, Maggie, tell me about their employment policies, please, I'm curious, in case I shouldn't eat there anymore?

But, Maggie, tell me about their employment policies, please, I'm curious, in case I shouldn't eat there anymore?

I'm not Maggie, but if you google "Cracker Barrel" and "employment practice" you'll find a wealth of information.

I've never been to Cracker Barrel, but have always wanted to try it. I doubt I'll ever go now. Unless I find information that shows they really have changed their ways--not superficially, but internally.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I am quite hooked on maybe half their menu. Where else in NJ (besides my house) can you get beans, greens, and cawnbread?

Googling "new jersey soul food" gives 411,000 results. Just sayin', is all.

In the early 1990s, they had a policy (since rescinded) of firing gay employees. They have also faced all kinds of lawsuits over the years for sexual harassment and discriminating against nonwhite customers.

• Like 1

Exactly as Andrew said. They put the cracker into Cracker Barrel -- sexist, racist and homophobic. I seem to remember a story about a new store opening, and a gay rights group interviewing en masse for FOH jobs. They were hired because they had solid experience.

At the opening they all came out as gay and got their asses fired.

I understand the chain has been making efforts, but they'll never get a thin dime from me, even though I like the food.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)
  • Like 1

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

We used to eat at them when I was a sproglet and I recall tasty greens and cornbread and forgettable other-things. However, having a trusty dispensary of good collards by the side of the road is something to be valued, even if you are forced to eat amidst a collection of downhome souvenirs and screaming children.

I did not know that about their hiring policies. I'll have to hold off on the roadside greens...

I have enjoyed their greens and their breakfast but, like Maggie, I no longer go because of their very unacceptable employment practices. I wonder if they realize that quite a few people who would otherwise enjoy some of their food absolutely won't darken their door because of their business practices? I wonder if they'd care?

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

I have enjoyed their greens and their breakfast but, like Maggie, I no longer go because of their very unacceptable employment practices. I wonder if they realize that quite a few people who would otherwise enjoy some of their food absolutely won't darken their door because of their business practices? I wonder if they'd care?

They seem to have taken considerable steps to correct their policies, but it may be more due to threat of lawsuits than fear of loss of business. I had no idea about their employment practices until I read this thread and did a little googling. I drive the highways a lot and frequently stop there when I'm in the middle of nowhere and have few options. Their restaurants are always packed.

I feel pretty strongly that although some of their customers probably don't care, or perhaps even agree with their policies, the vast majority, perhaps 90%, like me, have no idea.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Oh, this news (to me) about their hiring practices makes me very sad. Whenever I visit my familiy in Florida we always make at least one trip to Cracker Barrel. I like the food, and there's some great shoppin', too. But now . . .

Dang.

We plan trips to PA around Cracker Barrel stops (like, "if we leave at 7 am, we can get to CB, just the right time for breakfast, and if we start home around 6, that would be a good time for dinner...") I am quite hooked on maybe half their menu. Where else in NJ (besides my house) can you get beans, greens, and cawnbread?

my house, one of my coworkers in Sparta and the exit off I 80 for Mount Arlington where there is a Cracker Barrel.

also one of those voting with my feet and I also boycott it....course i can also make it better.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 7 years later...

It has been a long time since I stopped at a Cracker Barrel but I did today. They used to serve real maple syrup with their pancakes & waffels. This is no longer the case... menu now states that they serve 100% natural syrup... checked with the waitress and it isn't maple syrup. I didn't get it, so no idea what is in their new syrup.  :-(

• Like 1

well, is is and it ain't.

"as served in our restaurants" is now 55% maple syrup and 45% cane sugar syrup....

zoom in on the label...

http://shop.crackerbarrel.com/Cracker-Barrel-Old-Country-Store/dp/B00PWNH93G

apparent some maple syrup producers are now using reverse osmosis to 'get the water out' vs the traditional boil - I've written to two brands asking about that - been met with stone silence.  not looking all too good . . . .

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've eaten in Cracker Barrel once and the food was not half bad.  But now that I've learned more about the company, as someone who is gay, I shan't eat there again.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 4/22/2009 at 9:07 AM, Shelby said:

I've eaten there one time and I refuse to go back.

That was my experience as well.

The food was horrible with the exception of the fried okra which was just 'okay.'

As to the discriminatory practices, much has changed in 25 or 30 years; Cracker Barrel is rated much higher in terms of LGBT 'equality' than the used to be and higher than many other well-known companies.

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I will confess to going to Cracker Barrel periodically. One can generally count on a fairly decent breakfast there, though on my last trip the bacon was poor quality and not cooked well (I'm not real certain how they got a single slice to range from burnt to not done, along its length, but they did). It is at least predictable. It won't be great, but it won't be inedible, either.

I think they cleaned up their act significantly after a set-to over employment of gay/lesbian wait staff and such.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

But @kayb people have long memories.  Does anyone recall Denny's refused to serve the Secret Service?  Closer to home my son went to an Asian restaurant with a Chinese friend of ours and enjoyed a delicious meal and great service.  Returning without said Chinese friend he got essentially no service.

Another Asian restaurant, literally next door, has given excellent service and menu help (the posted menu is not in English) over several visits.  When I was there I did not see any other non Asian tables and the place was full, with a long waiting line.

I know which restaurant I would choose.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

JoNo, you are so right!  I almost posted this under another topic but this is yet another reason I won't patronize this restaurant.  For those of us with such a small green ( read cash) footprint, there are so many better restaurants with succulent food to bother with this one!

• Like 1

I guess I should clarify -- I travel a good bit, mostly by car, and through a lot of small towns where one is really flipping a coin as to whether the local diner will be really fabulous or not fit to eat. Cracker Barrel is, at least, dependable in that I know I'll get a meal that's edible, if not overly enjoyable. Give me a choice of it and another restaurant whose quality I know and enjoy, and I'll bypass Cracker Barrel every time.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Where I live the Cracker Barrel is actually pretty darned good.  Of course we don't have many of the restaurants in big cities to compare it with.  I like good comfort food and can find it there.