• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Todd English's Bonfire: Burned burgers only.

millions

I recently found myself significantly delayed at Logan on my flight back to Los Angeles, and I had a craving for a good burger. I thought I was in luck, being that there was a Todd English restaurant only feet from my gate inside Terminal B.

When I ordered my burger medium rare, the server told me that they could only serve it medium well, or well done. I have never heard such a thing, and she couldn't explain who was responsible for the rule.

In any event, I crossed the road and got my burger at Cisco Brew Pub. While unispiring, it was at least cooked as I requested.

What on earth is this place thinking, and does English have the same policy at his other restaurants?

My guess is that it's a Todd English "restaurant" only in that it has his name on it. And in order to not risk making anyone ill, they cook all meat to the well done stage. No matter how you want it.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Here in Ontario all burgers are cremated! Restaurants are only allowed to serve them dry and grey!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I always get concerned about the quality of the ground beef they are serving me when I'm told something like this. If they will only serve the burger well done, it usually means that they are buying a lesser quality product.

I'll pass on the burger at these places.

Dan