• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Batter Blaster

chappie

They did a writeup of these bad boys on Serious Eats a while back.

I don't know how I feel about it. Seems wasteful, in terms of packaging materials, which bothers more than the cost per pancake.

And yeah, "organic" is tacked on to more and more, with the hope that people will think that organic ingredients makes prepackaged stuff healthier. :wacko:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

It does seem wasteful for everyday use, but as someone who has cooked on ocean deliveries for a crew of hungry sailors in the tiny galley of 40-something-foot sailboats amid rough seas ... it could also have its uses.

It uses "eco-safe" CO2, I wonder how different that is from the greenhouse gas CO2? It's novel but how hard can it be to buy pancake mix that you "just add water" to make the batter? Think how much more enviromentally responsible you would be mixing your own batter rather than shooting it out of a can. OK, just kidding, I think that kids would probably like to see it done a couple of times but I would not bother with it.

You know who the prime demographic for this is, right? I had a great conversation in Whole Foods this winter, standing in front of the Batter Blaster display with a very stoned young man who was extolling the aaaawwwwwesooommmme merits of this product at great, enthusiastic length.

I bought a 3 pack of these at Costco once.

The temptation to spray it directly into your mouth is no less than from aerosol whipped cream cans.

They make pretty good pancakes too. It's pretty nice to be able to spray until you get the pancake size you want. Nice for us folk living by ourselves and only want a few pancakes at a time - and nothing to wash! (except the pan)

• 7 months later...

Insert something here about "laughing all the way to the bank":

"It's pancakes. In a can. It's made $15 million."

From the article:

In 2008 Batter Blaster's annual revenues hit $15 million. O'Connor expects the total for 2009 to surpass $19.5 million.
"I would most likely only use it when cooking for my kids," he (chef Manuel Trevino) says. "You will undoubtedly be sacrificing a little flavor for fun, but utilizing a spray makes it easier to master the art of creative pancake-making, which children tend to love."

O'Connor is banking on kid-friendliness. His plans? More versions of the product that add new flavors, along with brightly colored batters, in the mix.

The new color idea sounds like what Heinz(?) did with different colored catsup (which can't be found on store shelves anymore).

Has anyone else tried Batter Blaster?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I can't imagine buying pancake batter in a spray can, but the concept isn't uninteresting. I've been experimenting a bit with pancake batter in a Thermo-Whip and haven't quite gotten the right consistency, but it's almost there. The batter needs to be thinner than pancake batter so that it whips and sprays smoothly, but thicker than crepe batter to have enough structure to hold up to the extra whipping of the whipper. Preserved in the Thermo-Whip under nitrous oxide, it should last in the fridge nicely, and my thought is that it should make a lighter pancake.

• 8 months later...

The batter in a can stuff is actually decent. First of all, the ingredients read like normal pancakes, which is nice, as well as being organic.

Second, it's nice to have a long shelf life pancake batter always available in any quantity for days my 15 month old wants a something different for breakfast.

I don't know about you guys/girls, but i don't have time to whip up pancakes during the week, not to mention wasting most of it because i just need 1 5" pancake for my daughter, and cleanup.

So...while it's exorbitantly expensive, it's actually VERY handy, as well as being quite tasty.