• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Sink-Proof" Cheese

CooksQuest

I love making french onion soup.

But, for some freakin' reason, I can't get the cheese to stay on top like you get at some of the NY restaurants.

It *always* melts into the soup.

I've tried:

1) french onion soup bowls;

2) oversized cheese;

3) not so oversized cheese -- shredded cheese (pinched also on the sides

of the bowl);

4) high broil;

5) low broil;

6) close broil;

7) more distant broil;

8) crusty french bread underneath the cheese (right on top of the soup);

9) soup filled higher in the bowl; and

10) soup not so high in the bowl.

What's the trick?

Your broth might be too thin or you may not have enough onions.

Once my onions are "caramelized", I always add about a tablespoon of flour, cook that for a few minutes, add a shot of Xéres, then pour in my stock.

Edit: of course, the booze is optional and has nothing to do with the cheese staying on top!

One more edit: Which cheese are you using?

I think the secret is the toast. I use a good piece of toast (the bread has to be toasted otherwise it would dissolve too quickly) that I cut to almost the exact size of the top of crock. The cheese actually sits on the toast, not the soup. When I add the cheese, I have a little overlap to the edges of the crock. This works like a charm.

I think the secret is the toast.  I use a good piece of toast (the bread has to be toasted otherwise it would dissolve too quickly) that I cut to almost the exact size of the top of crock.  The cheese actually sits on the toast, not the soup.  When I add the cheese, I have a little overlap to the edges of the crock.  This works like a charm.

Texan -- That's probably it! :-) I do take the step of toasting the french bread, but it inevitably is not the right size. Next time, I'll cut it to fit as you suggest.

Spoonful -- I use a mix of provolone and gruyère for the top. Sometimes I'll throw some Jarlsberg and gruyère in the bottom for added effect.