• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kneadlessly Simple Bread

saluki

I've been using a variety of no knead methods Bittman/Sullivan, Artisan bread in 5 min, and CI's method.

This week, I ran across another method from Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads by Nancy Baggett.

It seems to use instant yeast and ice water.

Has anyone used her recipes? If so, how did they compare with the other no kneads? If you bought the book are you pleased with the recipes?

I am curious to know if the ice water is worth trying.

I've been using a variety of no knead methods Bittman/Sullivan,  Artisan bread in 5 min, and CI's method.

This week, I ran across another method from Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads by Nancy Baggett.

Has anyone used her recipes?  If so, how did they compare with the other no kneads?  If you bought the book are you pleased with the recipes?

Why ice water? Does this just retard the rise?

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I've been using a variety of no knead methods Bittman/Sullivan,  Artisan bread in 5 min, and CI's method.

Has anyone used her recipes?  If so, how did they compare with the other no kneads?  If you bought the book are you pleased with the recipes?

Why ice water? Does this just retard the rise?

Jmahl

This sounds similar to the Pain a l'ancienne bread recipe from Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice. The idea there at least is to make sure that all the fermentation is done in the refrigerator for maximum retardation. There is only mixing, no kneading, with Reinhart's method in this recipe as well.

Sorry I don't have more to say about this particular book, though. If you want to see the results of a (possibly) similar method, check out the Bread Baker's Apprentice thread and compare.

nunc est bibendum...

I've had the book for a couple of months and have tried the Buttermilk with coarse salt "pot bread" and the Cheddar with chiles. Both were excellent.

I also made the brioche and it turned out fine but I like my old recipe better.

I am planning on preparing the yeasted pain d'epice on Friday and baking it off on Saturday morning.

If I can remember to, I'll take photos and post my experience with it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The author says no chance of harming the yeast with ice water plus bread has better texture.

Serious Eats has a few of the recipes so, I will try them before buying the book.

link

There is supposed to be a terrific whole grain bread in the book called

Crusty seeded cracked wheat pot boule. If I could find and make that recipe successfully I would buy the book without hesitation.

Edited by saluki (log)

• 3 weeks later...

The author has a website that has recipe archives. She also has a blog where she might answer questions that you have. You can get to the blog through her website. www.kitchenlane.com

I have tried a few of her recipes and they have all come out very nicely. I love the fact that I can retard the rise so that I can fit the baking into my hectic schedule.