• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotham Steakhouse, Vancouver

cabrales

I'd appreciate members' input on the cuisine at Gotham Steakhouse in downtown Vancouver, including the types and cuts of meat that have been sampled. :wink:

In addition, members' input on other steakhouses in Vancouver (including "Kobe" (spelling?), the teppanyaki facility reasonably close to Gotham) would be appreciated.

I was at Gotham in Feb/Mar this year. It is a very gorgeous place. Looks like some kind of art-deco movie set. The food was only so-so. They have all the trimmings but something is missing. We were much more successful coming back a couple of weeks later and just eating in the bar. Appetizers, baked potatoes, etc. The food was still not stellar but it allowed us to soak up more of the atmosphere. It's a good place to go before a show or movie.

I had a much better experience at Morton's. Everything seems fine-tuned to just the right degree. It was everything I imagined a big city steakhouse should be. Especially got a kick out of the tough guy waiters who could wax eloquent about my Zinfandel. The crowd was also more interesting looking. Gotham had what my companion called a "convention of hot tub salesmen". This may just be because it was a Saturday.

Cacus Club does a surprisingly good steak and frites with garlic mayo at a much lower price and with lots of energy.

It ain't the meat it's the emotion

• 2 years later...

Gotham is on par with the other steak houses of that caliber (Hy's, Mortons). The Filet Mignon is $39.95, side dishes are $6-$10 apiece. There were 5 of us, we had steaks, a number of side dishes, two bottles of wine and dessert. The total came to about $110 a head.

So yes it's expensive but the steak was really good so it is worth it for an evening of carnivoric male bonding. It is the traditional aspect that counts really, most of our spouses won't set foot in places like Gotham due to vegetarianism and other afflictions :raz:

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

We went for a looong walk one Sunday awhile back and ended up going around the entire seawall. As we we're coming back home it was about 5:00 in the evening or so and we we're passing Gotham. Had to try it. They we're all full but they said that their entire menu was available in the lounge. No one was there and we found a great cozy spot on an overstuffed sofa by the window. We then ordered the biggest Filet Mignon they had along with asparagus and potatoes to share. When it came out they had presented it on a medium sized platter with all the sides. It was a thing of beauty. Best steak we have had here in Vancouver.

But for my absolute all time favourite Steak was actually on a cruise ship. Royal Caribbean’s Radiance of the Sea to be exact. On board there is the regular main dining experience that is included in your initial fare. But for $15 pp more, plus a reservation you could eat in a very special on board steak house or Italian Bistro.

To start with when you arrive they take you to your seat and bring your requested libation. Then you start perusing the very short menu, but before that they come over with a cart and show you the cuts of beef that are available that night. While presenting them the Waiter is doing an amazing job describing the marbling, where it was from and how it was raised. I am in utter awe at this point. After that we decide on the appetizer, salad, and entree with a beautiful pairing of wines. Now we are sitting by candle light, huge pane window to our side with the ocean waves and an amazing sunset. :rolleyes: The food, the service, the atmosphere, everything was beyond belief. My beautiful bride was stunning as usual and was equally in awe of our dinner.

Then comes the dessert cart with an incredibly decadent freshly made selection.

I say this in all seriousness, that meal made the entire cruise for us! The ship was impressive, but that meal was legendary. The ship sails out of Vancouver to Alaska and we plan to be on it this summer. Every night for dinner will be in either the Steak House or the Italian Bistro. Actually I don't really care if we get off the boat as long as we can do that! :raz:

Gotham is ,indeed, high ticket but I feel it delivers fair value. The steaks, I've had filet and rib, are excellent, always cooked perfectly and not "overpriced". The appetizers I have sampled include Shrimp Cocktail, Smoked Salmon and Fresh Oysters and all were just fine.

If there is a value issue I think it is in the side dishes which are good but for $6.50 I want a little more. The wine list could use a little imagination but has all the usual heavy hitters and is easy to match with the food.

The service can be a little edgy but I think that is actually in keeping with the room's style and as long as it doesn't go over the top is perfectly acceptable.

However I would rather spend the money at Joe Forte's for similar food, a better wine list and a much better "buzz".

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

I haven't eaten at Gotham, but I've eaten at (and gone back to, several times) Hy's Encore. I like the quasi-tacky 60s Brat Pack feeling the place has, and the small filet is all I ever want in a steak (I am a pedestrian steak-eater, and I tend to go for the smallest cut as I know I can't eat it all!). Their cheese toast is sin wrapped in tinfoil, and they make a very nice Caesar tableside.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I've eaten at Gotham about two years ago (same as Ling), and I ordered the filet mignon, and it was way overcooked, and extremely chewy (could probably throw it on a wall and have it bounce back and hit me on the face).

The service was very rude (the waitor looked like a bouncer, who didn't know how to use the words "would you like...." before his sentence). And never gone back since.

For a good piece of tender filet, I choose Morton's. But I've heard many good things about Hy's steak as well. May try it one day.

A group of 8 of us went to Gotham last night as part of DOV and had a pleasant experience.

The room was very busy but they only take 120 covers a night for DOV and the rest of the room is regular clientele (about 150 covers according to our server). The menu was very simple and not very exciting but it was well executed.

The starter choices were either a Ceasaer Salad or Sauted Garlic Prawns both of which were well executed but neither was overly exciting.

The main course featured a choice of a 10oz New York Steak or Seabass with roasted potatoes, green beans and sauteed mushrooms. Everyone at our table had the steak and they were all perectly cooked and seasoned. The potatoes were a touch on the dry side, but the beans and mushrooms were well done.

For dessert it was Belgian Chocoloate Bourban Cake or fresh berries (which should never be served at this time of the year)! The cake was hit as it dissapeared very quickly around the table!

The service was probably the best part of the evening as everything from the greeting to the departure was perfect. Our server was funny and informative and very well versed on the wine list which I felt offered some pretty good values.

My only dissapointment with the evening came due to my allergy as I had called ahead 2 days in advance to let them know I was allergic to wheat and dairy. When they called to confirm my reservation that had told me that they had taken care of everything. However, when my main course arrived it was just a steak with 3 times the amount of green beans to replace the potatoes and mushrooms. While I love green beans, I would have really prefered to have a starch of somekind with my steak.

I have now been to Morton's and Gotham in the past few months and in my mind, Gotham wins the battle hands down. A much better room, better service and more reasonable prices for both the steaks and the wine. No one needs to eat 20oz of meat as is typically served at Morton's!

Cheers,

Eric

A note on the service at Gotham.

Servers are typically hired on the spot after a thorough perusal and discussion of a resume. On the contrary at Gotham, from what I've heard just recently from a new hire, there is a rather rigorous interview process (read: more than one) that really separates it from the rest of the madding crowd. And once you get a spot at Gotham, the money is so good you just don't give it up.

It's a home for lifers.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Servers are typically hired on the spot after a thorough perusal and discussion of a resume. On the contrary at Gotham, from what I've heard just recently from a new hire, there is a rather rigorous interview process (read: more than one)

I think the days of "hire on the spot" are long gone, at least in Vancouver's top establishments. Most restaurants now do at least 2 interviews and a reference check - my last hire required 3 interviews and I spoke to a friend who just got through a 3 interview process which included signing a confidentiality agreement.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami