• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excellent afternoon cocktails

Mussina

I will be meeting some friends in NYC this week - midweek - for drinks. I would love to take them to Death & Co. or PDT but the timing doesn't work out at all. Is there any place to get exceptional cocktails at an inappropriate :smile: hour on a week day. Location is not that important (will travel for alcohol . . . ) but I will be in the Union Square area.

I will be meeting some friends in NYC this week - midweek - for drinks.  I would love to take them to Death & Co. or PDT but the timing doesn't work out at all.  Is there any place to get exceptional cocktails at an inappropriate  :smile: hour on a week day.  Location is not that important (will travel for alcohol . . . ) but I will be in the Union Square area.

If the weather is nice, the Rise Bar at the downtown Ritz Carlton is a great place for drinks.

Of the cocktail bars, Pegu and Flatiron open the earliest at 5pm. Death & Co & PDT open at 6. It can be a problem, I know.

I'd definitely go to Gramercy Tavern. Not sure what the bartender story is since Jim left, but I think you would probably do well, plus it's a beautiful spot. Gotham can be hit or miss depending on who's behind the bar (cocktails are also very expensive). Freeman's has some very strong talent behind the bar - not sure who would be working at that time - but they're also open for lunch (I don't think they serve straight through till dinner, so you might check).

We've had some mighty fine cocktails at the new, midtown 'inoteca, on 24th & 3rd.  Open all day.

Interesting! I loved the cocktails at Bar Milano and planned on inoteca but it said on their website that they opened at 5:00. This would be the PERFECT place if they are open all day.

Update - just called and they are open from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. during the week. They still have the fantastic 323 cocktail (and at $10). This is the place!

Edited by Mussina (log)

On their website (click here) it shows their hours as 12 noon - 3 A.M.  The bar menu has been expanded since the Milano days, and the cocktail preparation is very good.

I saw this link - http://www.inotecanyc.com/liquori/about.php - which said that food is served from 5:00 p.m. and incorrectly thought that was when they opened. I am delighted to learn otherwise.