• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cascina Martini in Coteranzo (Monferrato-Piemonte)

SWISS_CHEF

We have been continuing our string of fine dining and the latest restaurant on our hit-list was Cascina Martini in Coteranzo where Gianluigi Giachino bends the traditional Piemontese ingredients into stylish and fresh new creations.

Amazingly there were only six covers (including us) the Thursday night we were there. The restaurant decor is what I would call sophisticated Italian country and a great deal of attention is paid on all levels without becoming fussy or pretentious.

Amuse bouche: a frito misto of assorted fried things: cod balls, aubergine cubes and asparagus, accompanied by an herb frittata and thick sliced of salami.

There was a 40 Euro tasting menu but we had all been spending too much time at the dinner tables over this Easter weekend so we decided to just have a starter and a main course. In retrospect I think this was a mistake and we should have ordered the tasting menu but that is how it goes, sometimes you just can't go that extra mile.

We all ordered the delicious duck breast salad and we all very happy we did.

Melanie ordered a orozotto made with whole wheat orzo, fresh peas and cream. It was superb. Our friends ordered the rabbit with tajarin pasta. I didn't try theirs but it smelled fantastic and sent their eyes rolling back.

I ordered boccatini of veal which turned out to be large chunks of veal in two sauces and was delicious and delicate.

Dessert was a grappa for me and Melanie had a 67% dark chocolate souffle with a soft gooey center. It was perfect.

I only had one criticism, the frito appetizer should have been fried in fresh oil. It wasn't off-putting but it prevented the meal from being perfect. We certainly will return to try the tasting menu.

Ristorante CASCINA MARTINI

Via Gianoli, 15

15030 Murisengo Fraz.Corteranzo (AL)

Tel:0141.693015

Fax:0141.693015

cascinamartini@cascinamartini.com

http://www.cascinamartini.com

Closed on Monday - dinner only - lunch by appointment

Their home page is a bit difficult to navigate but there is a really nice blog entry with lots of good pictures here: http://www.altissimoceto.it/2008/08/21/ris...luigi-giachino/