• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mayahuel - More Great Cocktails on East 6th St

weinoo

The one drink I had was the Loop Tonic.  Tequila bianco, green chartreuse, vermouth, lime, and celery bitters.

SOLID.

What are the proportions for this?

I fiddled with it and got:

1.5 tequila (Milagro)

.5 dry vermouth (Noilly Prat old version)

.5 lime

.25 green chartreuse

I don't have celery bitters. Who makes it anyway?

Definitely tastes pretty good, but not mind-blowing. My proportions and the lack of celery bitters are probably at fault. I'll be in town at the end of June and will find out in person.

Maybe Phil will come by and tell us the right proportions/ingredients, but I suspect the kind of vermouth you'd use in this cocktail would make a significant difference. I think they're using Dolin but really could just be making that up.

• 2 weeks later...
The one drink I had was the Loop Tonic.  Tequila bianco, green chartreuse, vermouth, lime, and celery bitters.

SOLID.

What are the proportions for this?

I fiddled with it and got:

1.5 tequila (Milagro)

.5 dry vermouth (Noilly Prat old version)

.5 lime

.25 green chartreuse

I don't have celery bitters. Who makes it anyway?

Definitely tastes pretty good, but not mind-blowing. My proportions and the lack of celery bitters are probably at fault. I'll be in town at the end of June and will find out in person.

Maybe Phil will come by and tell us the right proportions/ingredients, but I suspect the kind of vermouth you'd use in this cocktail would make a significant difference. I think they're using Dolin but really could just be making that up.

BTW, I asked Phil - it's the Dolin dry.

Are there really no margaritas? Not even the classic version?

Not on the menu. I'm sure they would make you one if you asked nicely, but Phil's cocktails are so creative and complex I would really encourage you to try them.

In the Times review daisy17 links to above, Peter Wells sentiments about the bar snacks

Above all, the kitchen can fry. The best items here are hot tortilla chips with three salsas ($8) and the churros ($8)

echo mine, and I'm glad he pointed them out:

Big shout out to the bar snacks. Some very good chips came with guac, roasted red tomato salsa and green salsa - the perfect bar food to go along with these tequila based drinks. I don't say that lightly - something I think that's missing at Serious Cocktail Bars is serious cocktail bar snacks. Even if it's as something as simple as chips and salsas - well made, and they've increased your enjoyment; not well made, don't serve 'em. And the popcorn was good (and freshly popped) too.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Are there really no margaritas? Not even the classic version?

Not on the menu. I'm sure they would make you one if you asked nicely, but Phil's cocktails are so creative and complex I would really encourage you to try them.

I have, and they are good, and I do enjoy them (:

But a classic is a classic, and damn tasty itself to boot, eh? :D Sometimes you just want an Martini or a Manhattan or something!

Edited by taion (log)

Big shout out to the bar snacks. Some very good chips came with guac, roasted red tomato salsa and green salsa - the perfect bar food to go along with these tequila based drinks. I don't say that lightly - something I think that's missing at Serious Cocktail Bars is serious cocktail bar snacks. Even if it's as something as simple as chips and salsas - well made, and they've increased your enjoyment; not well made, don't serve 'em. And the popcorn was good (and freshly popped) too.

The churros are amazing too!

Mayahuel pops in at 4 out of 5 stars in the current issue of Time Out, New York. About our own Phil Ward (aka Phlip around these parts):

Ward recognized that Mexico’s trademark elixir—favored in these parts in shots or margaritas—has the complexity and range of flavor to birth a whole subset of mixed drinks. Here, his vision, shared with co-owner Ravi DeRossi, is sublimely realized in a wonderful debut menu that features agave-kissed cocktails, tea-infused inventions and a wide array of tequilas and mescals for sipping, as well as tequila-spiked sangrias, punches and beer-based drinks.

You don't say...

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They have expanded the number of cocktails on the menu in the last several weeks -- darn it, there is no way I can keep up. Trato Hecho was very good: pineapple infused mescal, lime, green chartreuse, maraschino. Really loved the Amor Morado as well: tequila, sloe gin, violette, absinthe, grapefruit, lemon. Spicy Paloma (one of our favorites from Death & Co) on the menu too! And yes, they will make you a classic margarita on the rocks if you ask. My friend did and reported it very good.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

• 11 months later...