• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report:eG Chocolate and Confectionery Conference

Kerry Beal

Matt,

I'm going to be getting some rulers cut at the metal supermarket for Kyle - let me know if you want me to get you some too.  I'm also going to get him a sink cutout for a marble slab - let me know if you want one.

Sure, that'd be great! What sizes do you recommend? Greweling seems to use both 1/4-inch and 1/2-inch widths, so would it be best to get a set of each?

Strangely, we already have a marble slab, so we're covered in that respect. Thanks!

I've been talking to his mom about getting a set of 1/2 inch, and a set of 1/2 by 1/4 inch. With those I pour the first layer with the rulers set at 1/4 inch, then turn them on their 1/2 inch side for the next layer.

And there is enough weight in the 1/4 by 1/2 to prevent movement.

I like to cut 2 to 12 inches and 2 to 8 inches, but let me know if you'd prefer all 12 inches.

I got some 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" type 304 stainless square stock and cut my own rulers. Quick simple and cheap. They are fairly heavy and usually do not need to be fixed. If so I just use masking tape which works well.

I almost always work on Silpat mats.

Hope this helps

Phil

• 4 months later...

Flowing Caramel

75 grams glucose

175 grams sugar

125 grams heavy cream - warmed

25 grams butter

1 tsp vanilla

Caramelize sugar and glucose until well browned. Deglaze with warmed cream. Add butter and vanilla.

I finally tried to make the flowing caramel recipe from the Chocolate and Confectionery Conference today. Using the instructions that Kerry gave I ended up with a very soft caramel, but much too thick to pipe into molded shells once it cooled down to a temperature that wouldn't melt the shells. Any ideas what I could have done wrong? I thought that this was a caramel for filling shells.

Flowing Caramel

75 grams glucose

175 grams sugar

125 grams heavy cream - warmed

25 grams butter

1 tsp vanilla

Caramelize sugar and glucose until well browned. Deglaze with warmed cream. Add butter and vanilla.

I finally tried to make the flowing caramel recipe from the Chocolate and Confectionery Conference today. Using the instructions that Kerry gave I ended up with a very soft caramel, but much too thick to pipe into molded shells once it cooled down to a temperature that wouldn't melt the shells. Any ideas what I could have done wrong? I thought that this was a caramel for filling shells.

Did you boil further after adding cream?

No, I didn't boil after adding the cream. Should I have? As soon as the cream was stirred in, I poured the caramel out of the pan into a bowl to start cooling.

No - you did it correctly - boiling will make it thicker. Not sure what happened - mine is quite liquid.