• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report:eG Chocolate and Confectionery Conference

Kerry Beal

I think it was MelissaH that won the two molds - I got so distracted by stressing that these molds shouldn't be sprayed with colour - that I kind of lost track of who won.  Correct me please if I am wrong.

No, it wasn't me. But if anyone has some extras that they'd like to donate, I'd take 'em!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

It occurs to me that after we did the 3 methods of slab ganache making - the Greweling, the Morato, and the Wybauw - we didn't do a side by side comparison. 

Could everyone comment on the slab they made and what the result was - did you compare your ganache with the other two?

My team did the Morato method which turned into a soft slab suitable for piping, but not really for enrobing. The method called for heating the chocolate to between 40C - 45C and adding the infused cream when it cooled to about 30C.

I suspect if we ignored heating the chocolate to that high a temperature, and used tempered chocolate, we would have had a firm slab.

I remember seeing the result of another team which had also done this method and had coated both sides of their equally soft slab. This allowed them to at least attempt to cut and enrobe the pieces.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

also, a few questions regarding that packet of info kerry handed out:  i did a wybauw ganache..thought the texture was very smooth and flavored carried well but it turned out super soft.  we pre-coated the bottom and let set in fridge to harden, it helped when using the guitar cutter, so no worries...but would like to know if we think we just didn't have enough chocolate? (270 g, 250 g cream, 25 g invert, 50 g butter) or if it was the method (mix 30 C cream with 30 C chocolate, then add room temp butter) any thoughts?  should chocolate go up to 300 or 320 g?

We made the Wybauw too and also ended up with a really soft ganache.

I think his method is supposed to create a fairly firm ganache because the chocolate never leaves temper (doesn’t Grewling also table his slabbed ganaches?).

Greweling generally specifies tabling the slabbed ganaches until they reach the desired consistency. In several instances he specifies using tempered chocolate as well.

I think the problem might have been the percentage chocolate we were using; if I remember correctly that bags said that it was a 55% chocolate. I think most of the dark recipes with 1:1-ish ratios are formulated for 65%-ish chocolate, so this might have caused the ganache to be softer. A bit more chocolate would have probably helped (or a bit darker chocolate).

At least that’s my best guess.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

First, thank you Kerry for organizing a great weekend. You really put together a first class event and I suspect that we all had a wonderful time.

Second, I personally had a great time meeting everyone, putting faces to names, and comparing notes on business issues, supplies, and techniques. Of course we shouldn't forget simply hanging out with a bunch of cool people.

Saturday dinner was one of the best I've had in a very long time. My favorite dish was the wild mushroom soup topped with truffle infused cream. You can't go wrong with truffles (wild or chocolate).

Finally, I think I must have taken close to 300 pictures. As I just returned home a little over an hour ago, I'll get them onto the computer, sort out the cruft and post them very soon.

I would like to pose three questions:

1. If you attended this years event, would you attend a similar event next year?

2. If you did NOT attend this years event, would you be interested in attending next year?

3. How important is location to you?

The reason I ask is that I did indeed suggest in a conversation with Kerry that we do this again and that I would work on such a project. It is my intent to see if I could get my culinary alma mater and a local company to "sponsor" us and let us use their facilities in Gaithersburg, Maryland (near Washington DC).

Please post your thoughts here or send me a PM.

Again, thanks to you all.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

I've got all my photos on the computer and I'm in the process of uploading the first edited set to Flickr. These are just from the first day of our 3 day event.

You can find the pictures here.

Enjoy these and I'll get the rest uploaded over the next day or so.

:biggrin:

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steve,

1.Yes

2.Yes

3.I'd love to come to MD. We were from so many places that I think MD would work for just about everyone that made it to Niagara.

I'm having all the "So, what did you do over spring break" conversations now that I'm back at school. I keep repeating over and over what a great bunch of people I got to spend time with. And I made some chocolates. And had a phenomenal dinner. Here, look at the pictures. Here, taste one. And check out Erika's website. And all these other ones, too. And, and, and. They can't shut me up. Totally up for another one.

Trying to figure out where to get massive quantities of chocolate in Chicago. Anyone?

First, thank you Kerry for organizing a great weekend.  You really put together a first class event and I suspect that we all had a wonderful time.

Second, I personally had a great time meeting everyone, putting faces to names, and comparing notes on business issues, supplies, and techniques.  Of course we shouldn't forget simply hanging out with a bunch of cool people.

Saturday dinner was one of the best I've had in a very long time.  My favorite dish was the wild mushroom soup topped with truffle infused cream.  You can't go wrong with truffles (wild or chocolate).

Finally, I think I must have taken close to 300 pictures.  As I just returned home a little over an hour ago, I'll get them onto the computer, sort out the cruft and post them very soon.

I would like to pose three questions:

1.  If you attended this years event, would you attend a similar event next year?

2.  If you did NOT attend this years event, would you be interested in attending next year?

3.  How important is location to you?

The reason I ask is that I did indeed suggest in a conversation with Kerry that we do this again and that I would work on such a project.  It is my intent to see if I could get my culinary alma mater and a local company to "sponsor" us and let us use their facilities in Gaithersburg, Maryland (near Washington DC).

In answer to your questions, I wasn't able to attend this year, but would be very interested in attending next year.  Gaithersburg would be fanstastic for me.  I would definitely prefer somewhere on the East Coast that I could drive to (I'm in CT).

Please post your thoughts here or send me a PM.

Again, thanks to you all.

In answer to your question, I was not able to attend this year and and am definitely interested in being there next year. I would have been there this year, but had another trip already booked elswhere. Gaithersburg would be great for me. I would prefer somewhere on the East Coast that I could either drive to or get to by train (I live in CT).

Ok,... finally made it back home. Took me 30 hours to get back to Portland thanks to the big storm on the East Coast. And for those of you who may be wondering, Newark airport is a pit at 3am in the morn.

But all that time with my teeny-tiny laptop allowed me to do a first pass at processing all of those pix. Let me know if I've made any errors in captioning or if there's a photo missing that you'd like to see.

Big, big hugs go out to Kerry for all of her hard work, and to all of you who helped to make the conference a success esp. Anna N, John N the photographer, the Staff and Students at Niagara College - you guys are the best!

Kerry's Chocolate and Confectionery Conference 2009

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Ok,... finally made it back home. Took me 30 hours to get back to Portland thanks to the big storm on the East Coast.  And for those of you who may be wondering, Newark airport is a pit at 3am in the morn.

But all that time with my teeny-tiny laptop allowed me to do a first pass at processing all of those pix.  Let me know if I've made any errors in captioning or if there's a photo missing that you'd like to see.

Big, big hugs go out to Kerry for all of her hard work, and to all of you who helped to make the conference a success esp. Anna N, John N the photographer, the Staff and Students at Niagara College - you guys are the best!

Fabulous photos, John! You are certainly multi-talented and both hubby and I feel privileged to have met you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

How about the goodies that Lior sent for us to enjoy - I've been working on the lokum and some of the snacky foods today.  What did you take home?  How are you enjoying it?

Lior:

Thanks so much for the boxes of goodies you sentl. Wish you were there, but the goodies were an acceptable substitute. I brought home the chocolate halvah for one of my customers to sample - I'm hoping to use it in a filling for cakes I make for his restaurant. I also brought home the Chai tea and (what feels like) coffee, as I'll infuse these flavors in cream for some new amazing cakes for this same customer.

I'll let you know what I do with these items as I get around to using them.

Mary

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

Ok,... finally made it back home. Took me 30 hours to get back to Portland thanks to the big storm on the East Coast.  And for those of you who may be wondering, Newark airport is a pit at 3am in the morn.

But all that time with my teeny-tiny laptop allowed me to do a first pass at processing all of those pix.  Let me know if I've made any errors in captioning or if there's a photo missing that you'd like to see.

Very nice John! I'm so sorry it took you so long to get back! My flight was canceled Sunday evening, but I was able to hop on a Southwest flight into another airport. Thank goodness Chicago has two!

Anna reminded me this morning that I forgot to post about the wonderful prizes that Chocolat-chocolat provided for us.

Chocoera won the Barry Callebaut kit - that contained quite a nice variety of goodies (Kyle tried to steal it from her - I coveted it as well).  Erika - could you post on what it contained?

Wilma won the dipping forks I believe.

Pagosselin won the Wild Sweets books by Cindy and Domenic Duby.

I think it was MelissaH that won the two molds - I got so distracted by stressing that these molds shouldn't be sprayed with colour - that I kind of lost track of who won.  Correct me please if I am wrong.

These molds are new at Chocolat-chocolat - they are a 'truffle' mold.  Essentially all the cavities in the mold are a little bit different so they look like hand made truffles when they are done.  The mold however has a matte surface finish rather than a shiny one - so when you spray with colour (particularly with a pastel green) they look kind of moldy rather than beautifully finished.

I flew home with these two chocolate molds - haven't had time to use them yet. Will post photos sometime next week when I can catch my breath.

Thanks to Chocolat-chocolat for donating them!

Mary

Beaches Pastry

Beaches Pastry Blog

Steve:

Yes

I'll be there, even if it's a last minute reservation :)

I had a great time meeting everyone and learning. Brian (from Tomric) and Kerry were so helpful by talking about AND demonstrating techniques I've read about, but never seen done in person. Then, we were able to try these newly learned techniques - which is where I really understood them. There's no substitute for hands-on learning.

Additionally, thanks to Steve, John DePaula, David J, Erica (and the rest of you who answered questions or let me look over your shoulder) for demonstrating and helping me with dipping techniques, splatter effect on chocolate molds, using caramel bars and a guitar (I absolutely want one now that I've used it!).

To the group who made the raspberry - black pepper chocolates (Erica and Beth), you have my husband's undying love and affection.

Kerry - ditto - with the port/cigar combination. He'd like to have these on his pillow tonight! Do you have a recipe for the port layer, as it wasn't in the info packet. I think this combination will be very successful with a local business or two.

I can't wait to look through the pictures -

Beaches Pastry

Beaches Pastry Blog

Steve:

Yes

I had a great time meeting everyone and learning. Brian (from Tomric) and Kerry were so helpful by talking about AND demonstrating techniques I've read about, but never seen done in person. Then, we were able to try these newly learned techniques - which is where I really understood them. There's no substitute for hands-on learning.

Additionally, thanks to Steve, John DePaula, David J, Erica (and the rest of you who answered questions or let me look over your shoulder) for demonstrating and helping me with dipping techniques, splatter effect on chocolate molds, using caramel bars and a guitar (I absolutely want one now that I've used it!).

To the group who made the raspberry - black pepper chocolates (Erica and Beth), you have my husband's undying love and affection.

Kerry - ditto - with the port/cigar combination. He'd like to have these on his pillow tonight! Do you have a recipe for the port layer, as it wasn't in the info packet. I think this combination will be very successful with a local business or two.

I'll post it tonight when I get home from work.

I'm in for next year - got a date yet Steve? Not to rush you or anything. Maybe we should be looking closer to May so there are less chances of 'storms on the east coast'.

I'd love to attend. I wonder if we couldn't make it work for one of those 3 day weekends. I know every time I get together with other eGers, I always want a day to just hang out v. workshops or events. Location isn't that important, and I love the DC area, and there is some fun pastry/confection stuff going on there.

Steve:

Yes

I'll post it tonight when I get home from work.

I'm in for next year - got a date yet Steve? Not to rush you or anything. Maybe we should be looking closer to May so there are less chances of 'storms on the east coast'.

Kerry, what was the chocolate you used for the port/cigar ones, too? I meant to grab a couple pieces to bring home, but forgot since we had to scoot out early.

Thanks, Mary! I think it might have actually been one of the Matts who chose the pepper. I liked it, and one of the guys I gave it to today really liked it.

Edited by Marmish (log)

Kerry, what was the chocolate you used for the port/cigar ones, too?  I meant to grab a couple pieces to bring home, but forgot since we had to scoot out early.

Thanks, Mary!  I think it might have actually been one of the Matts who chose the pepper.  I liked it, and one of the guys I gave it to today really liked it.

I used the Belcolade Papau New Guinea single origin. It already tastes quite tobacco like.

Kerry, what was the chocolate you used for the port/cigar ones, too?  I meant to grab a couple pieces to bring home, but forgot since we had to scoot out early.

Thanks, Mary!  I think it might have actually been one of the Matts who chose the pepper.  I liked it, and one of the guys I gave it to today really liked it.

I used the Belcolade Papau New Guinea single origin. It already tastes quite tobacco like.

Yes, it does. Very cool.

edited to add gfron, so happy to see you post. We were wishing you had come so we could meet you. I always check out your stuff on the sweets thread.

Edited by Marmish (log)

edited to add gfron, so happy to see you post.  We were wishing you had come so we could meet you.  I always check out your stuff on the sweets thread.

Ditto for me. See tonight's incredible raspberry mousse. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Here is the port and cigar center aka "the gentleman retire to the library".

Port and Cigars

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

Pate De Fruit

250 grams pear puree

75 grams sugar

10 grams apple pectin

375 grams sugar

75 grams glucose

250 grams banyuls or port

10 grams tartaric acid solution (equal amts water/tartaric)

10 grams banyuls or port

Tobacco Ganache

250 grams PNG single origin dark

55 grams butter

55 grams invert sugar

2 grams tobacco (from a good cigar)

285 grams whipping cream

Mix the 75 grams sugar with pectin. Cook together pear puree for 2 minutes. Add the remaining sugar and glucose and cook to 112ºC. Add 250 grams wine and take to 107º C. Add tartaric solution and 10 grams wine. Pour into a 12 X 12 inch frame.

Infuse tobacco in hot cream, strain, don't press. Add invert sugar and cool to 30º C, add to 40º C chocolate, add butter. Pour over fruit jelly in frame and level.