• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why are you in the culinary business?

sh_kayam

passion for making people happy with good food that creates a taste memory.

I also like creating art, out of cake.

There are people who travel a long long way for the Chocolate Decadence cake I make; and every year at Passover, I hear from people who say they have to have the macaroons we make.

Its to see how much I can learn and do, and do well.  The comments of my customers are fuel that keeps it going however.  I wish it were the money.

But it sounds like your business is going like gangbusters. How then do you translate that to income?

Its complicated because we are a retail store that has become a food service. So right now I'm moving a lot of money into the retail side which I had leaned up when the economy soured. I'm up 50% right now (consistently daily for the past 5 weeks) and have had some peak days at 70% over our average...so yes, its been very good. But, as any other business owner knows, that doesn't necessarily mean you see any of that money :) So my comment has to do with a salary which I hope to provide myself if this trend continues.

The instant gratification of baking something start to finish was much more appealing and less intimidating than the design profession I went to college for. Plus, as I'm socially retarded, I am totally happy back in the kitchen baking on my own, talking to myself. Of course I do like the positive feedback, but its more about the food, and playing mad scientist a little bit, and creative freedom. I took my current job in large part so I could save money, but it is not actually a high salary (just nowhere to spend it) and that was not the only factor.

I absolutely agree with all of you. The number one for me is making people smile, the gratification I get from customers is my driving force. I followed in my fathers footsteps of restaurant ownership and there is nothing else Id rather do. Looking at friends and culinary classmates, I probably make about the least money but am probably near the top of happiness. Creativity is another huge factor, when I have to convince someone to try my strawberry green peppercorn cheesecake, and their initial response is of disgust, and then after they try it they get a second peice to go I know I did my job. I also love educating people on food, in North Dakota, people are a little sheltered but I have been quite successful in inspiring others with my passion for food.

I absolutely agree with all of you.  The number one for me is making people smile

I'm going to be the selfish &^*! and admit that the main reason I got into it was because it makes me smile. I enjoy it. I like it when what I do makes others happy but I can be equally happy with something I create late at night after closing that nobody but me ever sees (unless I post it on eGullet).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I got in to a professional (4 star) kitchen after being out of the biz for 15 years because I or my soul needed it. The pay is crap and the work is hard (started over), but its like zen to me when I'm there doing it. My wife tells me I come home with a giddy look on my face.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

I started in a kitchen 30 years ago because the girls seemed to like "guys that cook". Come to find out most everyone likes "guys that cook". I've been doing it for so long that I can't think of anything I'd rather do.

It has been my experience that the money doesn't get good until you are spending most of your day doing something other than cooking.

I have grown to love food. I love talking about where stuff comes from, people's emotional attachment to it, and the difference between barbacoa and Italian BBQ.