• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Black Garlic

KristiB50

I have zero experience with black garlic but I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it when I find some. It seems to be a red-hot commodity these days which I'm sure the Korean cooks out there find amusing and pleasing.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Mallet, they slow cook it here in Korea and they have a special pot/gadget to do it. There's a lot of black garlic products sold on the home tv shopping here. I'll ask my korean friends how do they make their own black garlic.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Mallet, they slow cook it here in Korea and they have a special pot/gadget to do it. There's a lot of black garlic products sold on the home tv shopping here. I'll ask my korean friends how do they make their own black garlic.

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it!

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I found this recipe for Fermented Garlic, also known as Black Garlic(I have not tried this yet):

Making Fermented Garlic

Soak the whole garlic in water for two hours until its skin gets soft and is easily peeled.

Soak the garlic overnight.

Peel the skins.

Place the garlic on a perforated sheet until it is dry.

Pack the garlic into the containers.

Pour the pickling solution, consisting of 4 tablespoons salt, 2 cups sugar, 2 cups vinegar,

over the garlic and press it.

Ferment the garlic for two days, then drain the pickling solution

Add ½ cup sugar to the pickling solution, bring it to boil, let it cool down,

pour it back over the garlic and let it stand for 1 month.

Finished product, fermented garlic

I am thinking that either black vinegar from the Asian market of Balsamic should be used instead of the above vinegar, hence the color black.

Frank in Austin

Mallet, my friends say that black garlic is hard to make since it takes a long time (like about a month) of constant heat and humidity to make a batch. There's a device that is sold on the home tv shopping but it is all in korean and I don't really understand how to use it and for how long. (I surmise that the gadget cuts the fermenting time short). I'll get back to you with more details after my friends do their own research too.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I checked with 99 Ranch and Lions (two large Asian grocery stores here in Milpitas, CA. 99 Ranch said that they were sold out, and didn't know when they would get any more, but suggested I try a Korean grocery store. Lions had never heard of it, but had some pickled garlic. I thought about it, but decided to pass.

I did find wandering through both stores a cross-cultural educational experience. In addition to all of the fresh fish, clams, mussels, etc., that would be almost unobtainable elsewhere, I have never, ever seen fresh goal meat for sale!

Anybody got a good recipe for goat meat?

• 3 months later...

Black garlic web site, with recipes

An article in The Washington Post of Feb 25, 2009

A quick mention by Florence Fabricant in The New York Times of October 7, 2008

An article in Nation's Restaurant News

Earthy Delights here in Michigan carries black garlic and is sponsoring a recipe contest.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Anybody got a good recipe for goat meat?

Cabrito (actually, Spanish for 'little goat') is very popular in Texas. Some recipes:

Cabrito

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 years later...

I've become addicted to this stuff recently.

It is great with sautéed wild mushrooms and I've used it happily in fried rice. but my favourite is with fried sea bream with a black garlic, caper, lemon and butter sauce. Served with bak choy and rice.

Black garlic on WikiGullet

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am sure many of you know what black garlic is... for those of you who do not, basically it is fermented garlic. The way it is made is that a whole head of garlic is kept at 140 degrees for 40 days, BUT in an airtight container (so it cannot dehydrate), the result is that the garlic becomes completely black, sticky and soft and also has a kind of caramelized taste.

My question is that usually when people make regular garlic oil, they must bring the garlic to 250 degrees in order to kill the Clostridium botulinum that my grow in the oil.... can the same be done with black garlic oil?? - I do not intend to make this oil to use within a few days... i intend to commercialize it, as i have done with porcini oil in the passed. This is why i would like to know how to make sure the oil is sterile. I usually pass all oils through a vacuum filter at 25 micron and 45 micron to get rid of all bacteria and viruses... but i do not know what Clostridium botulinum is considered and if it will be filtered out... and i think if its contaminated i cannot be filtered out... anyways, your help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

My understanding is that you CAN filter out the organism but CANNOT filter out the toxins, which is the part that causes illness and possibly death.

The organism itself can be consumed and persons who consume raw root vegetables, no matter how carefully cleaned, probably consume a fair amount on a regular basis with no harm. It is when the organism is held below the specific temperature for an extended time period, in an anerobic environment that the toxins are produced.

I believe some of the commercial "natural" non-canned garlic containing products steam-sterilize the garlic prior to adding it to the other ingredients that are going to be held in the dairy case and have an expiration date.

The "Greek Guys" who sell at our local farmers market told me that is how they treat fresh garlic that is going into their dips and spreads.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Temperatures above 60C for an extended period will destroy the toxin, 85C for 5 minutes seems to be what most advise. To kill the spores then you need to go to 120C for an extended period to ensure any spores are killed, generally under preasure. While filtration may remove the spores I don't know if filtration is a generally accepted way to make a commercial product safe and there are generally regulations that must be complied with if you intend to sell on a commercial basis. If in USA check the FDA website www.fda.gov otherwise check your local regulations.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...