• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Phoenix Eats

Hi. I will be staying in Chandler for two weeks for work. I won't be able to do lunches during the week, but I would love some options for dinner during the week - I think I'll probably head to Scottsdale during the weekend. Any good suggestions, especially something open on Sunday night??!!

Chandler has a ton of chain restaurants. Hard to find locally owned fine dining, but it's there if you look hard enough.

In Chandler, try Cyclo for Vietnamese inspired dining. San Tan Brewing sounds good (I have never been there, but word-of-mouth has been good) located in downtown Chandler.

In Tempe, Vincitorio's for Italian.

Also in Tempe, Classic Italian Pizza is very good, artisanal wood fired pizza.

Scottsdale is pretty wide open. Lots of choices. I like Roaring Fork near Scottsdale Fashion Square.

Angel Sweet Gelato in Chandler is good for a visit or two. Best gelato in the Valley.

Lee's Sandwiches in Chandler is a good cheap bahn mi place. I like the sardine bahn mi especially.

Hi. I will be staying in Chandler for two weeks for work. I won't be able to do lunches during the week, but I would love some options for dinner during the week - I think I'll probably head to Scottsdale during the weekend. Any good suggestions, especially something open on Sunday night??!!

Though it would work well any night, Noca's Sunday Supper has generated some very positive buzz.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I would agree with the above recommendations, and add a couple:

Joe's Farm Grill in nearby Gilbert - great burgers, etc. - very cool setting.

La Grande Orange in Phoenix - great pizza and baked goods. Great gelato place next door.

Chelsea's Kitchen in Phoenix - more upscale, but not fine dining - great food.

If you want to go downtown, of course, there's Pizzeria Bianco - Best pizza in... I don't know... the world?

If you want to go downtown, of course, there's Pizzeria Bianco - Best pizza in... I don't know... the world?

Pizzeria Bianco is very, very good and worth a visit, but the world? The clam pizza at Pepe's in New Haven, Ct. and La Vera Pizza Napolitana in Naples, Italy represent the very best to me.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your recommendations - I had some great meals while I was in the area.

Started off with Sunday Supper at Noca which was fabulous. I was jet-lagged and tired but the food and Eliot's hospitality definitely cheered me up.

Later in the week I went to Kai at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass. It was an intense meal and one I would've liked to share with someone - I don't mind eating alone but sometimes you need to talk about what you're eating! The staff was extremely attentive, the food was interesting and delicious and the setting was beautiful.

I got takeout from Cyclo which was great. I also went to Lee's but didn't read the egullet thread carefully enough because I just got a turkey and cheese sandwich instead of Banh Mi, but it was still pretty good.

Over the weekend, I went to Matt's Big Breakfast - I got there early so it was a short wait. It would've been worth a long wait though - it was amazing, and I could definitely taste all the butter and sinfulness.

I went to Cowboy Ciao for lunch and had their mushrooms with polenta and brioche pudding which were both excellent.

During the second week, I went to Seasaw in Scottsdale - that meal was very good and different. I went to Tomaso's in Chandler - nothing special but across from my hotel and the food wasn't bad. I trekked out to Joe's Farm Grill - reminded me of the Shake Shack - the shake was excellent!

Finished my trip off with anothe meal at Noca which really was superb - sea urchin and lobster panna cotta and scallops were as good as any of the places I have been to NY.

All in all a great trip - thanks to all of you for your advice!