• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Enchiladas in Houston

brucesw

I'm into enchiladas these days and trying to find some unique ones. Anybody know of any place serving Enchiladas en Cacahuate y Almendras (peanut and almond sauce)? or anything else not commonly found?

I know about Hugo's and Otilia's offerings, have found lots of the standbys - enchiladas rojas, verdes, suizas, potosinas, and husatecas at taquerias on the SW side but still curious and wanting to find more.

I'm into enchiladas these days and trying to find some unique ones.  Anybody know of any place serving Enchiladas en Cacahuate y Almendras (peanut and almond sauce)? or anything else not commonly found?

I know about Hugo's and Otilia's offerings, have found lots of the standbys - enchiladas rojas, verdes, suizas, potosinas, and husatecas at taquerias on the SW side but still curious and wanting to find more.

Bruce, have you tried Sylvia's? They have a good assortment.

Thanks, Morgan. It's on my list but haven't gotten around to it. I'm taking a little breather after a very disappointing visit to a taqueria, seeking out comfort food for a few days.

I think they have a section devoted to, what do they call it, South of the Border varieties? I'm really not looking for Tex-Mex enchiladas, although sometimes it's hard to discern a difference.

I think they have a section devoted to, what do they call it, South of the Border varieties?  I'm really not looking for Tex-Mex enchiladas, although sometimes it's hard to discern a difference.

Have you tried this place, Ostioneria Mar Azul? I haven't been but have heard it is Mex-mex, not tex-mex. It's on Bellfort by 59.

Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

I think they have a section devoted to, what do they call it, South of the Border varieties?  I'm really not looking for Tex-Mex enchiladas, although sometimes it's hard to discern a difference.

Have you tried this place, Ostioneria Mar Azul? I haven't been but have heard it is Mex-mex, not tex-mex. It's on Bellfort by 59.

I went there once when it was Ostioneria Michoacan - emphasis on seafood and I had a couple of pretty good meals there. I wonder if they all changed names (there are 6 or 7 of those around on b4).

The menu I have from then had 'Authentic Mexican Dishes':

Enchiladas Verdes

Enchiladas al Chipotle (translated as 'in hot devil sauce!)

and Tex Mex Enchiladas.

Here's the main menu page, each menu page is in pdf file format.  The only sauces I do not recognize are Suiza and "Entomatadas" Salsa Espanola.  The rest are red or green sauces in the South of the Border section. 

http://www.sylviasenchiladakitchen.com/default.asp

The Hidalgo variety with carnitas is the one I'd probably try.

From the Wiki article on enchiladas: Enchiladas suizas: suiza, meaning Swiss, is an adjective that indicates the dish is topped with a white, milk or cream-based sauce, such as béchamel. This appellation is derived from Swiss immigrants to Mexico who established dairies to produce cream and cheese.

They can be really good. I think either Stouffers or Budget Gourmet or one of those frozen entree companies makes a version :biggrin:

Entomatadas means tomatoes are included in the chile sauce instead of just chiles and spices.

Here's a really good article on enchiladas on MexConnect (she has several good recipes, too).

The best I've had so far have been the Enchiladas Michoacanas from 100% Michoacan on the blog and the Enchiladas Potosinas from El Campesino on Bellaire at Fondren that I haven't reported on the blog yet.

gallery_58650_5736_50837.jpg

This was really good - refritos and queso fresco inside the folded tortillas, topped with more queso and chili sauce with potatoes, carrots, pickled jalapenos and a good chorizo on the side, plus salad and avocado (under the rather uninspired presentation of a pan grilled chicken breast).

One of the options for this dish there is 'una pata de puerco en vinagre' which I think translates as 'pickled pigs food enchiladas.' I'm going to go back and try that.

Edited by brucesw (log)

Pickled pigs feet enchiladas? That sounds like something I'd order after partying all night long. Let me know how they taste. Was the chorizo house made or store bought?

Pickled pigs feet enchiladas?  That sounds like something I'd order after partying all night long.  Let me know how they taste.  Was the chorizo house made or store bought?

I would have judged it to be a longaniza but the menu said chorizo. Not your ordinary supermarket variety of Mexican chorizo whether they made it themselves or not I don't know. It was a 'section' of a sausage, split open, but not a paste, like the chorizos you get at the grocery stores. I really haven't gotten in to chorizos at carnicerias but have bought a couple of longanizas.

I went there once when it was Ostioneria Michoacan - emphasis on seafood and I had a couple of pretty good meals there. I wonder if they all changed names (there are 6 or 7 of those around on b4).

Enchiladas Verdes

and Tex Mex Enchiladas.

That's not the same place. This place is a place where you would probably be one of the only non mexican patrons in it, and it is not part of a chain. It is not listed on B4. Look it up on CH.

Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Enchiladas Verdes

and Tex Mex Enchiladas.

That's not the same place. This place is a place where you would probably be one of the only non mexican patrons in it, and it is not part of a chain. It is not listed on B4. Look it up on CH.

Same place, different name. Was part of a chain, may not be now. Was not listed on b4 before, either. I was the only non-Mexican there and one of only 2 people who spoke any English. Even when I was there which was over a year ago there was a sign up that they were changing the name to Mar Azul but it took many months to take effect.

Edited by brucesw (log)