• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Louisiana

Finally made it to La Louisiana for dinner, post-Matthew's and my trip to New Orleans earlier in October (where we ate vast amounts of crawfish, shrimp, catfish, gumbo, and bread pudding).

La Louisiana is on Cherry, at a midpoint between Ezell's Fried Chicken and Catfish Corner. This square mile must have more frying than any other in Seattle. Both are good, and I really enjoyed the catfish and hush puppies at CC.

From the many choices on the menu at La Louisiana, I ordered the Barnyard Pimp--fried chicken, served with vegetables and mashed potatoes. Chicken was very good, juicy and flavorful, herb seasoned with crunchy skin. The vegetables and potatoes were not good (poor flavor and texture). They offer a number of sides so I would try something different next time, though hopefully they can improve the mash.

Matthew ordered the cornbread-stuffed pork chop, which was too dry, and a side of jambalaya, which he said was great. (I was so busy with my chicken that I forgot to taste the jambalaya.)

We also ordered two appetizers. One may have been called crawfish nuggets (I know they offer catfish nuggets; I can't remember what the crawfish was called) and the second was fried okra. Both were very crisp and delicious, served with pleasant dipping sauces. La Louisiana seems very strong in the frying department. Next time I think I'll try a fried fish dish.

Bread pudding with bourbon sauce was warm and whiskey-licious, very similar to the bread puddings we enjoyed in New Orleans.

The food was decidedly mixed in quality, but we definitely want to go back again--when you order the right things, it's really good. The room is very pleasant and was busy on Friday night. Hopefully they'll get a liquor license soon, because it seemed like a great place to enjoy drinks. It is decidedly more upscale than the other spots in the neighborhood, but very reasonably priced (entrees are $9-16).

Thank you to the person who posts on this site and invited us to join her for dinner.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Thanks for the review Laurie. I think this is the same restaurant that used to be in W. Seattle, but then moved? We never went, because hubby is not keen on real spicy food and I just never got there on my own (although I do like spicy).

Was the food very spicy as in Cajun or Creole hot spicy? I'm guessing the fried things were just fried and not spicy?

According to The Stranger, the chef-owner used to work at Ragin' Cajun and Southern Hospitality, but Seattle Times mentions that he worked at Blazin' Cajun. Maybe somebody's confused.

I really liked the place. The room is so pretty and comfortable. While the service was a little spotty (I think they were a little understaffed), everyone was so gracious. I also had the Barn Yard Pimp. I had the cornbread side and really liked it. It was springy and somewhat cake-like. My husband had an okra stew that contained lots of spicy sausage and flavorful small shrimp (or maybe crawfish), served with rice. The leftovers were very tasty the next day. And I would definitely order that bread pudding again (but maybe keep it all to myself!). :laugh:

I wish the City of Seattle would expedite their liquor license! It's apparently been in the works for 6 months.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 2 years later...

Brining this back to the top for Mardi Gras...

So, it says on the Restaurant.com page:

La Louisiana now has a service bar and lounge. Come and join us for Saturday night happy hour from 9pm to 12am!

We have a $25 gift certificate that expires this month, so I guess we'll be able to check it out in person.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I should note that I was there a couple of times, I think it was about August '04, and it had slid spectacularly.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I should note that I was there a couple of times, I think it was about August '04, and it had slid spectacularly.

Shouldn't that be "had slud spectacularly"? :raz:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Shouldn't that be "had slud spectacularly"? :raz:

Remind me again -- exactly what subject do you teach at SU?

:raz:

Gov. Schwarzenegger.