• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blogger challenges

Tri2Cook

There are a few monthly online challenges that I know about. TGRWT from khymos.org, Daring Bakers, the Royal Foodie Joust (both of which I learned about from gfron1's blog) and Sugar High Fridays which I just recently learned about from Lisa2k's blog. So what others are out there that I don't know about yet? I love the idea of these challenges to inspire creativity or force me to think about ingredients or pairings in new ways so help me put together a list.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

There's Hobo Mondays on the Thursday Night Smackdown blog (www.thursdaynightsmackdown.com), where the challenge is to make dinner for two for less than $5. There's usually one or two conditions -- last month it was "no pasta," this month it will be "chickpeas, but not hummus."

She also does the title of her blog as a contest, in which one Thursday a month she'll give a theme and competitors are to employ a theme, use a cookbook, and follow the recipe exactly. Good way to plug your favorite cookbooks; I've picked up a couple based on that.

Plus, she's hysterically funny.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Its funny this post should come up. For the longest time I have been wanting to get a food blog going and have not been able to figure out how to promote it enough to get any traffic on the darn thing. Participating in these challeges may just be one way of doing it. I have not particpated, I kind of gave up on the blog in frustration. I would contact blog rolls and see about having blog added with NO response.

I don't get it...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Submit a blog post on tastespotting and foodgawker. I got a lot of traffic from that. I don't get a ton of hits a day, but more than none. :)

But yeah, a blog can be difficult to keep up with. This is my third try in like 5 years and I've finally kept with it for a bit. I mainly do it to keep track of things for myself and as a creative outlet.

Its funny this post should come up. For the longest time I have been wanting to get a food blog going and have not been able to figure out how to promote it enough to get any traffic on the darn thing. Participating in these challeges may just be one way of doing it. I have not particpated, I kind of gave up on the blog in frustration. I would contact blog rolls and see about having blog added with NO response.

I don't get it...

I hate to say it, but getting traffic is about giving traffic. You build a group of readers by engaging with bloggers on their own sites, creating interest in what you might have to say. Too many bloggers (and I'm not assuming this applies to you) do rather little to *participate* and too much to bluntly self-promote.

With regard to the thread topic, there's also PaperChef each month, which is quite a serious challenge.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

Thank you everyone for your kind advice. I am still learning all about blogging and how it works. I appreicate (sp?) your imput.

I was looking at the blog, cook sister, and she puts out a challenge "waiter there is something in my". This month's is retro classic theme.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I hate to say it, but getting traffic is about giving traffic. You build a group of readers by engaging with bloggers on their own sites, creating interest in what you might have to say. Too many bloggers (and I'm not assuming this applies to you) do rather little to *participate* and too much to bluntly self-promote.

With regard to the thread topic, there's also PaperChef each month, which is quite a serious challenge.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Something I've been bad at, but am vowing to be better about responding to other's posts (I'm a blog newb, what can I say?). A little give, a little get.