• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Must Eat: San Diego

SauceRobert

Anyone have any must eats in the San Diego area?  Cheap, inexpensive whatever! where must I go? It will be in august so patios would be great but not necessary.

Geographically, San Diego is a big, spread out city. Where are you staying and will you have a car?

You also might want to take a look through some of the previous posts on this board. There's a thread called "Cheap Eatz" started by MizDucky that has a ton of great ideas for inexpensive places to eat.

There are two places in my must-eat list in San Diego every time I go:

The Fish Market near Seaport Village.

My post with pictures

And George's At The Cove in La Jolla (the top (terrace)). For lunch. That's all I can afford! :biggrin:

Neither place is "cheap". But well worth the money if you want a good view while dining.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Anyone have any must eats in the San Diego area?  Cheap, inexpensive whatever! where must I go? It will be in august so patios would be great but not necessary.

oops i made a typo.. it should have said "cheap, expensive whatever!"

Ill staying in La Jolla but will have a car and am just looking for ideas in the general area of san diego

Edited by SauceRobert (log)

Japengo in the golden triangle?

Market Restaurant in Del Mar is a must. Check it out at its website: www.marketdelmar.com

You will not be disappointed. However, they are always full so make sure you have your reservation before you go and they are not cheap - starter around $10-15 and entre $28-40.

Market Restaurant in Del Mar is a must. Check it out at its website: www.marketdelmar.com

You will not be disappointed. However, they are always full so make sure you have your reservation before you go and they are not cheap - starter around $10-15 and entre $28-40.

Good rec....

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Place looks great, and $68 for a 10 course tasting is actually a great price! thanks for the tip

Place looks great, and $68 for a 10 course tasting is actually a great price! thanks for the tip

$68 is for a 4-course tasting menu. Market is overall a good but not outstanding restaurant.

$68 is for a 4-course tasting menu. Market is overall a good but not outstanding restaurant.

If Market is good which restaurant do you think is great in San Diego. I am always in search for the best. Thanks

Edited by AVFOOL (log)

huh, guess I had a few too many glasses of wine before I looked at the menu cause that is definitely only a 4 course menu! thanks for pointing that out... also I would love to hear what you would call great!

anyone have any comments on Hash House-A-Go-Go?

anyone have any comments on Hash House-A-Go-Go?

Long waits to get in on the weekend and GARGANTUAN portions of marginally okay food. Go hungry and don't plan on eating the rest of the day. If you're looking for breakfast you can do better other places.

I suggest Kono's Cafe at the base of Crystal Pier in PB for the sausage, egg, cheese, potato and avocado breakfast burrito with pica sauce on the side. So big, it's best shared, so good, it's unforgettable. You'll be hard pressed to try anything else. Order inside, then pick your table across the street and watch the surf as you wait for delivery. After breakfast you can take a stroll out on the pier to check the fishing and surfing action.

HC

Excellent description of Hash House A Go Go, Kalypso.

There's a place in la jolla, over looking the cove, has a good rep for breakfast.... Brockton Villa

If the Marine Room is having a high tide breakfast, that's a treat.The Marine Room

And now a moment, while I mourn The Spice Rack, gone forever.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

If the Marine Room is having a high tide breakfast, that's a treat.The Marine Room

Hey Kouign Arman! What is a "high tide breakfast" at Marine Room? Do they offer it once in a while?

Hide Tide breakfast is a very old tradition. The Marine Room has been doing it for eons. I remember my mom and aunt taking us out there for it when we were kids.

It happens about 4 - times a year when the highest tides of the year occur. They most often occur in July/August and December/January and occasionally February. The Marine Room is located at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club and sits right on the sand. When the tides are in the water comes right up to the edge of restaurant. All the west facing walls are floor-to-ceiling windows and there is not really a bad seat in the house. Everything has a great view. If the high tide conincides with a major Pacific storm the breakers crash agains the glass; it can be quite dramatic :laugh: and every so often, if the storm is powerful enough, the windows break. Thankfully, that hasn't happened in recent years and if there is any threat that it will, the Marine Room doesn't open.

Breakfast at the Marine Room used to be a served meal, now it's a buffet and that's not entirely a bad thing. They've got a long raw seafood bar that's heavy on shrimp and oysters, every imaginable bread and pastry, a delightful cheese station, omelets and waffles to order, and an astonishing variety of hot entrees including some pretty tasty bacon and link sausages. The food is usually good to very good as is the quality. It won't break any new culinary ground.

The Marine Room is an old stalwart catering to old money La Jolla. The service is always gracious, spot on and non-invasive. High Tide breakfast is in the $40 range and, IIRC, includes champagne but not tax and tip.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the best deals in town right now is The Wine Vault & Bistro . 5-course meal for $30, add $20 for a wine pairing with every course (3 oz pours). Portions are not huge, but they are enough. There is talent in this kitchen and the food is quite good. Service is good and the waitstaff is well trained and knowledgable about the wines being served.

One of the best deals in town right now is The Wine Vault & Bistro . 5-course meal for $30, add $20 for a wine pairing with every course (3 oz pours). Portions are not huge, but they are enough. There is talent in this kitchen and the food is quite good. Service is good and the waitstaff is well trained and knowledgable about the wines being served.

Sounded wonderful, will try soon.

• 2 months later...