• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

European Style

Chapel Tavern

Theyre called glass washers.

Some hard-core serious beer bars have them, but not very many on th east Coast; I've seen them in Portland OR and Denver and San Diego, so far.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen these in action at The Trappist in Oakland, CA but am a little put off by the amount of water that stays in the glass. I don't want to my beer watered down, even if it's by a very small amount of water.

Beverage Factory, a restaurant supply house that specializes in draught beer systems,  calls them "rinser drip trays" on their website.

The Triumph Brewery (a brewpub in Princeton, NJ) is one east coast bar I've seen them in.  (I suspect Rich has been there, as well  :smile: ).

Thanks for the help. I tried to google "Glass Washer Tray" but of course only commercial dishwasher type stuff came up. They are actually cheaper than I thought they would be.

I've seen these in action at The Trappist in Oakland, CA but am a little put off by the amount of water that stays in the glass. I don't want to my beer watered down, even if it's by a very small amount of water.

I totally understand the thought process on that but according to most authorities on the subject, Cicerone Certification Program included, the best way to get a proper head is to use a wet glass. I've tried it both ways and it really does seem to produce a great head and, as far as I could tell, didn't water down the beer or affect the taste at all.

Anyone else have thoughts on the subject?

• 1 year later...

Strange, because I had always thought the opposite - that using them would stop a decent head from forming. Been quite a few years since I pulled a pint (Parents used to be pub landlords) but I'm sure I was told to only ever use a perfectly dry glass.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

My former boss used to own a beerhouse and he said the reason why people started using this mechanism is because when you machine-wash a beer glass it causes a static charge to build up in the glass, and in addition the glass would be polished afterwards - thus increasing the static charge even more. The water that goes in to the glass first "discharges" the pent up electricity and therefore the beer has a free run. Now I do not know if this is actually 100% accurate, it never is with these fields of glassware where no actual scientific data exists. I remember reading an article in a champagne magazine about always polishing champagne flutes with a cloth that would leave little fibers in the glass, so that the pearls would form properly, and never to polish the glasses too "perfect", otherwise the aforementioned static charge would interfere with the champagne.

The perfect vichyssoise is served hot and made with equal parts of butter to potato.

• 2 months later...

I think that i'd be more worried about residue in the glasses from dust, or left over dishwashing items than I would be about a little water. Remember you invert the glass to wash it out so 99.9% of the water drips out of hte glass. I find that having a slightly wet glass does help with the head etc. To an extent where even when i'm home I'll give a quick rinse. I don't have one of these fancy things yet though when i build my home kegerator etc set up I will be adding one.