• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porotta bread

Another installment in my continuing exploration of Indian foods -

I bought some frozen porotta from my Indian grocer. The directions say microwave on high @ 2 minutes on the first side, 1 minute on the second (after defrosting).

This makes a hard, crunchy, flaky bread. Is this what it's supposed to be like? I only really know about naan, which is soft.

Is this texture correct, or do I need to not nuke it quite so much?

(Edited to correct punctuation)

Edited by crinoidgirl (log)

V

Is it porotta or paratha/parantha/paratta/etc. bread?  If it's it's the latter, is should be soft, not hard.  The only Indian bread I've ever had that's hard is papadum (and other spellings) which is crispy but not flakey.

It really is porotta:

Wikipedia on Porotta vs. Paratha

And I think you're right on the softness. I'll either have to take it easy in the microwave, or steam/fry it.

V

Is it porotta or paratha/parantha/paratta/etc. bread?  If it's it's the latter, is should be soft, not hard.  The only Indian bread I've ever had that's hard is papadum (and other spellings) which is crispy but not flakey.

It really is porotta:

Wikipedia on Porotta vs. Paratha

And I think you're right on the softness. I'll either have to take it easy in the microwave, or steam/fry it.

Was it a malaysian style indian bread ? I have seen boxes of these bread in Chinese supermarkets in NYC. If so, then they are rarely fit for microwave reheating. Try frying it ?

anil

Could it actually have been "kerala porotta"? Usually when spelled "porotta", I tend to think of the layered, cruncy on the outside, soft on the inside variety much loved in Kerala. I have seen this available frozen as well - not a patch on a freshly made one.

If you are interested, here's a link that shows you how to make this: http://spice-club.blogspot.com/2008/05/layered-parotta.html