• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which noodles go with what?

Ce'nedra

I was originally going to specifically ask "which noodles go with fish" but decided hell, why not make it a broader topic!

So what's your thoughts, guys?

I was thinking of teaming one of my favourite family dishes (honey baked mullet) with noodles and thought perhaps it'll be best suited with vermicelli noodles since vermicelli is bland and I didn't want anything to overpower the mild taste of fish.

What do you think?

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I was originally going to specifically ask "which noodles go with fish" but decided hell, why not make it a broader topic!

So what's your thoughts, guys?

I was thinking of teaming one of my favourite family dishes (honey baked mullet) with noodles and thought perhaps it'll be best suited with vermicelli noodles since vermicelli is bland and I didn't want anything to overpower the mild taste of fish.

What do you think?

My first thought was not to use a noodle that would not overpower the fish, but one to counter the mildness of the fish. And not so much the noodle, but how it is seasoned. Is that what you meant?

Well any thoughts would be great actually so thanks :P

Basically, I meant which noodles are best coupled with which meats and/or sauce.

I guess I should have been clearer ha. I probably should have also mentioned that I wanted to couple the fish with something that allowed the flavours of the fish (note: which would be sweetened with honey) to remain clean and clear. The sauce I'm thinking of using is a mixture of vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil.

Ok decision decision decision.

Should I have fish with rice vermicelli or plain wheat (no eggs!) noodles?

My instinct would be rice noodle as it would complement the lightness both in taste and texture of the fish unless you are talking about a strong flavored oily fish.

Ok decision decision decision.

Should I have fish with rice vermicelli or plain wheat (no eggs!) noodles?

Why not make extra sauce for the fish, and serve it on a bed of rice noodles?

You would have the delicacy of the rice noodles, sharing the sauce -----and not be a counter to it? And the rice noodles would love to sop up the yummy sauce.

heidih and jo-mel: Thanks for your insight :) Rice noodles it is then! I'll be using sea mullet.

The extra sauce was exactly what I was thinking so it's confirmed now. Finally :P Since the fish will be baked on a large tray (served separately), I'm thinking of serving it in the typical Chinese style (i.e. individual bowl of rice/noodles with shared plates of food).