• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona over Easter weekend

dtilston

First trip to Barcelona this weekend and I am having an impossible time securing reservations anywhere. I figured most restaurants would be closed on Easter Sunday but it did not occur to me that they would also be closed all day the Saturday before as well as the Monday after. Unfortunately, we only have Saturday night through Monday night in Barcelona then we are on to San Sebastian where, thankfully, we have reservations at Arzak, Akelare, and Extebarri.

These are all the places I have tried without success: Alkimia, Gresca, Moo, Fonda Gaig, Dos Pallilos, CincSentits (they are open but are apparently booked), Comerc24 (open Saturday but booked). I did manage to secure a lunch reservation at Rias de Galicia on Sunday but that is all. Via Veneto was suggested to me by my concierge but after looking at the website and menu it seems rather touristy and the menu is not very inspiring.

Does anyone know if any tapas places will be open on Saturday or Monday? Places like Inopia, Quimet y Quimet, Tapac 24 or anywhere else that has a good reputation? Right now I am counting on that for our dining/drinking options those two nights unless I receive suggestions of other restaurants that will be open.

I just got back to my hotel from an excellent meal at Inopia tonight. I didn't see any indication that they would be closed this Saturday (closed all sundays), but you may want to call to check. I believe it is walk-in only.

Hmm..I tried a lot there and everything was good. They had fried rabbit ribs as a special that were great and I would definitely order again. I enjoyed the tripe (callos, i think) as well (first time I've had it). Croquetas were great as well. I think if you just order whatever sounds good to you you'll end up having a really solid meal. And the bill was only like 45 euros for 6 tapa, dessert, 4 cavas and coffee.

Sundays are always pretty limited anyway, and Easter will be even worse.

For Saturday evening, why not try one of the other bistronomic places: Embat, Con Gracia or Gelonch (my current fave)? I'm not sure if any of them will be open, but they're all great places to eat.

Hmm..I tried a lot there and everything was good.  They had fried rabbit ribs as a special that were great and I would definitely order again.  I enjoyed the tripe (callos, i think) as well (first time I've had it).  Croquetas were great as well.  I think if you just order whatever sounds good to you you'll end up having a really solid meal.  And the bill was only like 45 euros for 6 tapa, dessert, 4 cavas and coffee.

Ahhrrrrggg,

I feel your pain, this is our first trip to Spain, and we are finishing with Thursday through Monday in Barcelona. I did a lot of planning, but had NO IDEA that most of the city was shut down for the holiday weekend. How frustrating, especially since we just left San Sebastian and quite a few of the Pinxtos bars were closed for holiday as well.

So far I have found the following closed for the weekend:

Quimet& Quimet

El raco den Frexia

Gresca

Cal Pep

Nric Rovira Chocolates

And I can't believe that the Boqueria is not going to be open for the Entire weekend!

Luckily we had a good time at Arola, Taller de Tapas, & Cheese-me ( marginal at best), so they are open for the weekend. Also we have passed by Bar Mut, La Vinya Senor(Eixample), Cerveceria Catalina, Commerc & Tapac24 and they seem to be open, and most are scheduled to be open on Sundays, but I don't know about Holidays. We'll probably hit Taller de Tapas again on Sunday if all else fails.

and we have reservations tomorrow at Cinc Sentits......we are doing the sensations menu, but I have heard rumors of them having Suckling Pig, is it worth the substitution??

We are going to try AGAIN to get into Inopia, since last night the red rope was up and about 30-40 people waiting outside @ 10 PM. ??? Is Inopia any easier to get into for lunch???

BTW... Does anyone have any info if the Boqueria is open on Monday, we have to be at the airport by noon, but don't want to miss the Boq. ???

-CW

A note for everyone that seems to be in Barcelona and looking for places to go, I'm just back from Paco Meralgo, and they should be open Saturday and Sunday.

I ate at Cinc Sentis today and suckling pig is the meat course on the Sensations menu. They will let you substitute it for oxtail, or supplement the oxtail to the end for 11 Euros.