• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what are these Chinese tools for making dim sum?

dmreed

I just got and started reading "The Chinese Gourmet" by William Mark. In the Dim Sum section he mentions several tools used to make dim sum:

- so choi - "a wooden hammer used for making doughy wrappers"

- juat do - "metal juat do for shaping dumplings

- ba pei do - "blunt metal spatula for making the semi-transparent rice wrappers for har gau

I have not been able to find any other references to these tools. Can anyone help me find references and pictures or other names for these tools?

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

• 3 weeks later...

I am certainly no expert but I wonder if the last one refers to those spatula shaped pounders for poultry and veal. Most all the chefs I have seen simply whack the ball of har gow dough with the side of a cleaver. It takes a little practice but isn't hard if you keep at it. I tried using my poultry mallet and found the cleaver method worked better. Here is a brief video of the process

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.

I am certainly no expert but I wonder if the last one refers to those spatula shaped pounders for poultry and veal.  Most all the chefs I have seen simply whack the ball of har gow dough with the side of a cleaver.  It takes a little practice but isn't hard if you keep at it.  I tried using my poultry mallet and found the cleaver method worked better.  Here is a brief video of the process 

thanks...I had just seen a cleaver used for shaping the har gao wrapper in a book I just received: "Quick & Easy Dim Sum Appetizers and Light Meals" by Judy Lew! I still do not know about the "hammer".

BTW I was impressed by the commercial source of steam used in the video...thanks!

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com