Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

RuthWells

Macarons: Troubleshooting & Tips

Recommended Posts

Are you being too gentle when you fold the meringue and almond flour together?  I used to have a host of problems until I finally realized I was folding the two together carefully like you would do with any other folding technique.  Macarons do not need the air from the meringue left in them.  They need to be smashed against the bowl when folding together.  Since I discovered that I rarely ever have a bad batch.  

 

Also, when you cure it, are you sure they are not sticky anymore?  I have had to wait up to two hours before until they dried out enough.  It is always dependent upon kitchen and humidity conditions.  

 

And what kind of coloring agent are you using?  I find some gel colors cause the macarons to get too wet.  I typically only use the Americolor if you are familiar with it.

 

Hope some of that helps.  If not, then I have a few other things for you to try.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stirring until you get a magma like consistency I was taught.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha. I hated hearing that in school.  What exactly is magma consistency?  I mean, I have seen plenty of nature documentaries that show flowing lava, but I would never exactly know how it should like when compared to macaron batter.  I teach my students to move their bowl side to side (if it slowly oozes over you're good) and to check how fast it flows off the spatula.  Again, when I was in school, I would fold it too many times and it would be like piping water.  Now I understand it needs to barely flow off the spatula onto itself and should sink together within 30 seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Merry Berry said:

Haha. I hated hearing that in school.  What exactly is magma consistency?  I mean, I have seen plenty of nature documentaries that show flowing lava, but I would never exactly know how it should like when compared to macaron batter.  I teach my students to move their bowl side to side (if it slowly oozes over you're good) and to check how fast it flows off the spatula.  Again, when I was in school, I would fold it too many times and it would be like piping water.  Now I understand it needs to barely flow off the spatula onto itself and should sink together within 30 seconds.

True that - but it made sense to me.

 

By the way - welcom Merry Berry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
keychris   

Someone just asked this exact same question in another forum I'm on and the answer they were given was too much moisture in the oven as they baked - perhaps try cracking the door open whilst they bake with a wooden spoon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the welcome KB.  I have lurked for a long time and even signed up about a year or two ago.  I teach culinary school and hope to one day (soon? haha) to have my own chocolate shop.

 

As to the macarons, I always feel people make them way harder than they need to be.  Mostly because there is so much whodoo and misinformation out there.  They have been making them for a few hundred years now without fancy equipment although granted they might not have been as pretty as they are today.  Over Christmas I showed my niece how to make them and she had it down after one demo.  I have a demo video and beginner recipe I can share if anyone is interested although the video is pretty low budget haha. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lam   
10 hours ago, Merry Berry said:

Are you being too gentle when you fold the meringue and almond flour together?  I used to have a host of problems until I finally realized I was folding the two together carefully like you would do with any other folding technique.  Macarons do not need the air from the meringue left in them.  They need to be smashed against the bowl when folding together.  Since I discovered that I rarely ever have a bad batch.  

 

Also, when you cure it, are you sure they are not sticky anymore?  I have had to wait up to two hours before until they dried out enough.  It is always dependent upon kitchen and humidity conditions.  

 

And what kind of coloring agent are you using?  I find some gel colors cause the macarons to get too wet.  I typically only use the Americolor if you are familiar with it.

 

Hope some of that helps.  If not, then I have a few other things for you to try.

Yes, I always make sure to press the batter against the sides of the bowl to delfate the meringue. Depends on the recipe I use, but usually I find they dry within 15-30 minutes. I use a tiny bit of gel coloring or sometimes powdered. I haven't tried Americolor yet, do you know where I can find it besides online? Thanks for the reply! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lam   
7 hours ago, keychris said:

Someone just asked this exact same question in another forum I'm on and the answer they were given was too much moisture in the oven as they baked - perhaps try cracking the door open whilst they bake with a wooden spoon?

Thank you! I have seen a few people do this, I myself, have only done it for meringue cookies. Guess I will have to try this with macarons next time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lam   
5 hours ago, Merry Berry said:

Thank you for the welcome KB.  I have lurked for a long time and even signed up about a year or two ago.  I teach culinary school and hope to one day (soon? haha) to have my own chocolate shop.

 

As to the macarons, I always feel people make them way harder than they need to be.  Mostly because there is so much whodoo and misinformation out there.  They have been making them for a few hundred years now without fancy equipment although granted they might not have been as pretty as they are today.  Over Christmas I showed my niece how to make them and she had it down after one demo.  I have a demo video and beginner recipe I can share if anyone is interested although the video is pretty low budget haha. 

Yes, if you can, a link to the video would be helpful! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lam   

I have tried making macarons again after this, but with a bit of tapioca starch like a certain recipe suggested. :( The tapioca starch didn't change anything. I got my usual result- hollow macarons. Has probably been my 14/15th attempt at macarons, and my hopes of getting full and perfect macarons are looking quite bleak. Has anyone gotten hollow macs and have been able to solve the issue? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be: overbeaten egg whites, resting too long, oven temp too high. Do you have an oven thermometer inside the oven?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2017 at 2:22 PM, Lam said:

They're actually not underbaked. I have had a batch of wrinkled macarons before and they all have a soft texture when warm, but after they cool they become extremely chewy. 

 

So then how do you determine the baking time and when they are "done"?  If the interior of the cookie is too moist, of course that moisture will soften the crisp outer shell. Seriously, another minute or two in the oven might be all you need. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry it took so long to post this.  I had to upload it to youtube.  Hope it is all right to link things here.  If not, I will take it down. Hope it helps.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bentley   

Making macarons via the French method always has a random component to it in my view.  Sometimes the stars just don't align and you can never figure out why a batch did something odd.   COuld be the humidity in the air or the peculiarities of a batch of egg whites or inconsistency in the grind of the almond flour or variations in oven temperatures or over or under mixing....you get the idea.  

I switched to the Italian method (meringue made using a hot sugar syrup) and get much more consistent results. It is not any more difficult and is much more forgiving.  The texture of the cookie is slightly cakier perhaps, but after a night in the fridge, it has the perfect moist chewiness that people expect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I understand, to each their own.  I tell my students all the time, many times, there is more than one way to get to your final result and sometimes no one way is the "right" way as long as it works for you and you can make money on it.  

 

I personally do not like the extra steps involved with the Italian method since time is precious in the kitchen.  But if it works, why mess with it?  Although I am always trying to tinker with my techniques and recipes trying to find a better and faster way.  Who knows, one day I might convert to the Italian meringue method haha.

 

MB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • By pastrygirl
      I'm watching The Sweet Makers on BBC - four British pastry chefs & confectioners recreate Tudor, Georgian, and Victorian sweets with petiod ingredients and equipment. A little British Baking Show, a little Downtown Abbey. 
       
      Check it it out for a slice of pastry history. 
       
      BBC viewer only available to the U.K., but on this side of the pond where there's a will, there's a way. 
    • By boombonniewhale
      Hello! I was wondering if anyone on here has tried using an induction cooktop with confection making (caramels, fondant, marshmallows ect...). My stove has literally three settings, and the low setting still burns sugar and there is no such thing as maintaining any sort of "simmer". I was looking into getting a cooktop and buying some copper sugar pots and mauviel makes this thing that goes inbetween. I would love to hear any input into this idea or your experiences!
       
      ~Sarah
    • By ChocoMom
      Greetings all! 
      Quick question ...Has anyone used confectionery coating in ganache, and been successful?   I'd normally not do this, but I have a very dear friend who is allergic to chocolate. Her son is graduating from high school, and she hired me to do chocolates.   We'd all like for her to enjoy something from the selections at the reception.  The only pieces I can do for her without any chocolate derivatives is of the white chocolate variety.  So, white confectionery coating is the only alternative I can find to sub in. 
       
      Now, with the actual chocolates, I did a butter ganache with white chocolate, mango puree and coconut. (Tastes amazing, btw.)   If I do the same method with the softened butter, glucose; then mix in melted confectionery coating, will it harden up when I add the puree, or stay soft?   I tend to think it would be okay, but I absolute hate the idea of wasting that puree.  So, thought it best to ask here and see if this a disaster in the making- or a decent alternative...
      Thank you for any help and advice you're able to lend.  As always, your expertise is very much appreciated! 
      Andrea
    • By pastrygirl
      Some chocolate makers have incredibly intricate chocolate molds that boggle my mind.  How do they clean them?  Or do they not clean/polish them?  Or have an army of interns?  Or just do it perfectly every time and polishing molds is for suckers anyway?
       
       
      They are beautiful, but seem so very impractical.  What am I missing?
       
       
      The Soma is not bad, mostly thin lines, but the Askinosie ...
       
    • By kriz6912
      [Host's note: to ease the load on our servers this topic has been split.  The discussion continues from here.]
       
       
      Chocolate nails...

       
      And a "How it's made!" video...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×