• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Macarons: Troubleshooting & Tips

RuthWells

10 minutes ago, teonzo said:

The croutage will be faster, this is not a problem at all.

If you leave your almond flour bag opened for quite some time (hopefully it's not the case) then it will tend to get a bit drier, so it's possible you will need to add a small amount of egg whites to the usual ratio of the almond + sugar + egg whites mixture (if you use the Italian meringue method).

Can't think about other possible differences.

Teo

Thanks Teo.

• 4 years later...

I never understood the hype behind macarons until today. My first macaron was rose flavored. It tasted and smelled like soap.

Anyway, today my nan came by with macarons because I hoped that they would taste as delicious as others said that macarons tasted. I got to taste 3 flavors. Tea flavored, raspberry/strawberry (not sure), and salted caramel.

After giving macarons another chance, I feel satisfied. They were everything I hoped they would be. Delicious. I will definitely be eating them again.

Please share your experiences with the macaron.

If you live near an Aldi, they carry boxed macarons in the freezer case. They’re not bakery quality, but at $4.99 a dozen, they’re not bad.

I love ‘em. Have had homemade ones (made by a friend); the flavor/texture was there, but they were a bit flat. Also, he filled his with jam. I prefer buttercream.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Hey @BooBear, you mentioned elsewhere liking to research things.  Did you know that this site has a Search function?  Yes, indeed!  If you search for Macaron and specify that term appears in the title, you'll find several great threads where members may have already shared the info you're asking for.

Have you already read through these topics? 

Macarons - Baking

Macaron: the good and the bad

I'd like to learn to make macarons

...and about 40 others!

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Hey @BooBear, you mentioned elsewhere liking to research things.  Did you know that this site has a Search function?  Yes, indeed!  If you search for Macaron and specify that term appears in the title, you'll find several great threads where members may have already shared the info you're asking for.

Have you already read through these topics? 

Macarons - Baking

Macaron: the good and the bad

I'd like to learn to make macarons

...and about 40 others!

Thanks. I'll be reading those threads now. Whenever I want to make something I get obsessive. I'm not sure if making macarons are worth the trouble though.

1 hour ago, BooBear said:

Thanks. I'll be reading those threads now. Whenever I want to make something I get obsessive. I'm not sure if making macarons are worth the trouble though.

You aren't a true eG obsessive if you don't try!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I took a class on how to make macarons at Sur la Table in February 2020, just before everything shut down. Whether you think they are "worth the trouble" depends on how you look at them - triumph of technique merged with proper balance of flavor in a small bite...or a fussy little cookie. I found the process fascinating, and given more free time, I'd like to do more experimentation. As you noted on your first taste, the incorrect use of a flavoring can leave one wondering what the hype is about. When I've had ones with well-balanced and creative flavors, combined with the properly textured shell, I found them a joy to experience. I'm predisposed to small bites, so the concept fits my preferences.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

As you noted on your first taste, the incorrect use of a flavoring can leave one wondering what the hype is about. 

Might be said about lots of different foods.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?