• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to find Luxardo maraschino cherries ?

Does anyone know where in the greater Philadelphia area I might find Luxardo maraschino cherries? I did find some online but the shipping is a real killer. So local would be great even if I had to drive a bit to get there. I've tried all my area speciality stores with no success - I live in the Ardmore area.

Does anyone know where in the greater Philadelphia area I might find Luxardo maraschino cherries? I did find some online but the shipping is a real killer. So local would be great even if I had to drive a bit to get there. I've tried all my area speciality stores with no success - I live in the Ardmore area.

Joe Canals. I got some along with the Amaretto:

STORE LOCATION / HOURS:

3375 U.S. RT. 1 (Mercer Mall)

Lawrence Twp., New Jersey 08648

Phone: (609) 520 - 0008

Fax: (609) 520 - 1731

E-mail: lawrence@joecanals.com

Edited by Jeff L (log)

You know, starting about a year ago they seemed to slowly disappear from the usual outlets (Williams-Sonoma, DiBruno's) and be replaced with the Amarena cherries instead, which come in a blue and white jar like this. Very similar though of course not identical.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Let me inquire for you with my salesperson at Laird. They are the purveyors of all things Luxardo, so they might be able to find out who carries the cherries retail, even if they don't have them.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I'm looking for the cherries shown in the link found by slkinsey.

Somewhere I found information that Priess Imports is the Luxardo US distributor. So I sent a query to them via their 'Contact Us' page asking if they distributed it any where in the greater Philadelphia area. But I haven't gotten a response back.

I tried DiBrunos and Carlino's (in Ardmore) and a couple small specialty shops. Today I'll see if the herb, etc. person in the Ardmore Farmer's market has them. I really doubt it, she usually only carries items that are staples. But maybe. (Edit: I just checked her website and they're not listed.) And Williams-Sonoma has really cut back on their food inventory and didn't have them.

Thanks Katie, hopefully your salesperson will have some information.

I must be crazy. All this just to continue my quest for the perfect Manhattan ......

Edited by Carole (log)

You can always try and get the brandied cherries I use at Chick's. La Parisienne brand cherries are awesome and the only thing I'll put in my Manhattans. They're purveyed locally by Julius Silvert. Someone probably has them retail. I'm sure a bit of googling or a couple of phone calls might reveal an answer to that...

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Jeff, I think she's asking for Luxardo Cherries (like these.  These are quite difficult to find at retail, and fairly expensive. 

I gather you're thinking of Luxardo maraschino liqueur.  Much easier to find.

You know after I posted my comment I thought about that!