• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there a traditional Ethiopian birthday food?

here is an Ethiopian bakery....

Chez Hareg

1915 Ninth Street, NW

Washington, DC 20001

Phone: 202-332-6000

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 weeks later...
here is an Ethiopian bakery....

Chez Hareg

1915 Ninth Street, NW

Washington, DC 20001

Phone: 202-332-6000

I am surprised that there is an Ethiopian bakery, the Ethiopians and Yemenite traditionally eat few sweets. In fact, diabetes has risen in these populations because of changing diets. I will ask my Ethiopian friend and get back to you.

Cheers, Sarah

http://sarahmelamed.com/

Having once been to an Ethiopian birthday party (my daughter's friend), I can confidently report that doro wat would be an excellent choice.

Ok, spoke to my Ethiopian friend (she comes from Gonder near the border of Sudan), they don't have cakes. For birthdays they eat popcorn or Dabo bread.

In the villages they seldom have cakes but in the cities (Adis Ababa) they adopted cake eating from Europe.

Cheers, Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is too late but...

Here there is an Ethiopian restaurant. At the end of Passover the Ethiopian Jews celebrate a return to "bread" and say good bye to Matza by a celebration called "Gdeft", which includes traditional dancing and traditional breads and foods. The dessert at this restaurant, which is also served for the Gdeft celebration is called Engotcha, a bread sweetened with honey.

I am attaching a video of it. Basically the person is explaining about Gdeft. When the bread gets cut the usual blessing is said in Hebrew and a piece is passed around to all (a custom in all Jewish cultures). Then you are given an explanation about the salty form of the bread, called Dabeh, and a sweet honey version, called Engotcha. Honey is used because of the connotations of sweetness, and also because of the stickiness, which represents family togetherness. A sweet drink called Tej is also served and is made from barley and honey, for celebrating love and life!

I can find you a recipe for the Engotcha if you would like.Gdeft at Habash restaurant

Edited by Lior (log)

I don't know if this is too late but...

Here there is an Ethiopian restaurant. At the end of Passover the Ethiopian Jews celebrate a return to "bread" and say good bye to Matza by a celebration called "Gdeft", which includes traditional dancing and traditional breads and foods. The dessert at this restaurant, which is also served for the Gdeft celebration is called Engotcha, a bread sweetened with honey.

I am attaching a video of it. Basically the person is explaining about Gdeft. When the bread gets cut the usual blessing is said in Hebrew and a piece is passed around to all (a custom in all Jewish cultures). Then you are given an explanation about the salty form of the bread, called Dabeh, and a sweet honey version, called Engotcha. Honey is used because of the connotations of sweetness, and also because of the stickiness, which represents family togetherness. A sweet drink called Tej is also served and is made from barley and honey, for celebrating love and life!

I can find you a recipe for the Engotcha if you would like.Gdeft at Habash restaurant

Wow, lior, where did you learn all this? I learned something new today.

Cheers, Sarah