• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why Is FN Bringing Back Robert Irvine?

Old Timer

I could't believe my eyes..

Disgraced chef Robert Irvine will be hosting the new season of Dinner Impossible!

What the heck is up with that?

I thought the FN fired him for lying about his background?

Now, they are giving him and the show a big bump.

Have they no self respect as a network anymore?

My cynical view is that media types care not about reputation and that any publicity is good publicity. He's more valuable now than ever. I bet FN hopes the tabloids start chasing him. Perhaps their PR guys ought to spread the rumor that he is consorting with Sandra Lee and help them both out.

In my opinion, they're bringing him back because he's a much better and more interesting host than, um, that other guy. You know, the guy who's so boring I can't remember his name at the moment.

I honestly don't care if someone lied on his resume to get the job, if the show is better with him than it is with someone who came by it honestly. Similarly, I'd rather eat food from a "Chef" who lied about going to culinary school if his food is better than that of a CIA graduate.

Frankly, I noticed the "scandal" when it all came out, and I thought to myself that it was rather funny that Irvine had pulled it off, because he sure acted like someone who has that kind of experience. And then I watched the show with the new host and couldn't get through a single episode because it was just that boring.

I'd have to say that this is one of the very few television programming decisions that I've ever agreed with in my life.

In my opinion, they're bringing him back because he's a much better and more interesting host than, um, that other guy. You know, the guy who's so boring I can't remember his name at the moment.

Michael Symon.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

That show is so contrived that they need someone capable of exagerating to carry it. Someone who can fabricate trouble and drama where there is none.

Who better than someone practiced in fabricating a resume.

Symon is to calm, collected, and professional.

I thought I was seeing a really old re-run when I saw him running around with his commando voice and bulging biceps the other night as I channel-surfed. For entertainment value, which is all the show really is, I think he is probably a bigger draw.

I think he does a great job of playing the superhero chef dealing with the situation of OMG we have 2000 people to feed in 3 hours and the meat truck hasn't arrived yet! It is comic book stuff, but what serious chef would even attempt that act. It is one of my guilty pleasures that I watch it whenever I can.

Ever since they had that stupid "Next Iron Chef" show, I have been impressed with John Besh. He's got the abilities for sure, and a not unpleasant look to him (unlike Symon and Irvine.)

It would have been a good fit to have him on Dinner Impossible..

Please keep in mind, The Food Network isn't about food, it's about entertainment. And Robert Irvine is a about showmanship.

They should call it the Entertainment Network then. Oh, wait, that's already taken!!! :biggrin:

Edited by GwennP (log)

That show is so contrived that they need someone capable of exagerating to carry it. Someone who can fabricate trouble and drama where there is none.

Who better than someone practiced in fabricating a resume.

And there we are. Ironically (or not?), the guy who faked his resume is exactly the right guy to create trouble where there is none.

Symon is to calm, collected, and professional.

I actually sort-of liked the Symon ones. Silly me. I might have accidentally learned something about cooking.

I realize I am insane by most standards. I'd love to have a cooking show where two chefs/teams are told a week in advance what the "theme ingredients" (yes, plural, so we don't end up with salmon ice cream). They are then given two or three days in a very well equipped kitchen to prepare the best meal they can. They are then reviewed not by celebrities, not by people who moved from Oklahoma to NY two years ago to work in the food-media, not by restaurant business people who don't care or know what food tastes like, but by a group of people who actually know food and cooking, who eat the meals over the course of several hours, drinking wine and discussing the food and anything else. (Just the way a good meal should be!) Maybe - there would be no "winner"!?!

Yep, totally crazy. I;m syre it would never be on food tv. (How does Alton put up with it?)

Count me as one of those who enjoyed the Simon episodes. More than the "before" Irvine ones. I saw that he was back hosting and tried to watch - I couldn't even get through the first commercial break! I guess my memory isn't that short.

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

Count me as one of those who enjoyed the Simon episodes.  More than the "before" Irvine ones.  I saw that he was back hosting and tried to watch - I couldn't even get through the first commercial break!  I guess my memory isn't that short.

I have watched a few of both the Irvine and the Symon versions.

The Symon ones are better in that it is instructive, for a home cook who entertains and has to feed an ocassional crowd, to see how a professional handles being thrown into a stange kitchen and then has to figure out a menu based on ingredients on hand.

The Irvine ones are hard to watch in that he is so over the top in his acting.

What was hard about being at the Mall of America and havingto build his menu around what he can get from the restaurants in the mall? I was there with my son a week ago. They have tons of restaurants with varied menus. The problem would have been what do you leave out.

The show is so contrived and setup. It is like Chopped plus Throwdown.

What was hard about being at the Mall of America and having to build his menu around what he can get from the restaurants in the mall?

Making a semi-gourmet menu from pretty much exclusively Sysco ingredients. At least I'd think that's kind of hard. I don't know of any restaurants in malls that really have a lot of fresh ingredients on-hand, and frozen products can be kind of nasty. I watched that episode and I really didn't think he had a wealth of gourmet ingredients to choose from.

I don't really understand the hatin' on Robert Irvine, frankly. As far as his recipes being gross, I don't know for sure that I could come up with anything better, given how much packaged food he has to use, because that's what's available most of the time. Yes, pasta salads are outdated, trite, lame, bland and dull, but if you've got to feed a large group of people, many of whom will admittedly not be foodies, but all of whom will be hungry, and all you've got is frozen seafood and dried pasta, it is one of the first things that comes to mind.

I don't remember Michael Symon's food as standing out in any way above what Robert Irvine made, but admittedly, I only tried to watch a couple of his episodes, and I haven't really watched a lot of the episodes with either of them overall. If someone could point to specific examples of how much better Michael Symon's food was, compared to Robert Irvine's, I'd find that especially helpful.

I think they should just fire them both and hire me instead. I'm better looking than either of them, anyway. :wink:

What was hard about being at the Mall of America and having to build his menu around what he can get from the restaurants in the mall?

Making a semi-gourmet menu from pretty much exclusively Sysco ingredients. At least I'd think that's kind of hard. I don't know of any restaurants in malls that really have a lot of fresh ingredients on-hand, and frozen products can be kind of nasty. I watched that episode and I really didn't think he had a wealth of gourmet ingredients to choose from.

I don't really understand the hatin' on Robert Irvine, frankly. As far as his recipes being gross, I don't know for sure that I could come up with anything better, given how much packaged food he has to use, because that's what's available most of the time. Yes, pasta salads are outdated, trite, lame, bland and dull, but if you've got to feed a large group of people, many of whom will admittedly not be foodies, but all of whom will be hungry, and all you've got is frozen seafood and dried pasta, it is one of the first things that comes to mind.

I don't remember Michael Symon's food as standing out in any way above what Robert Irvine made, but admittedly, I only tried to watch a couple of his episodes, and I haven't really watched a lot of the episodes with either of them overall. If someone could point to specific examples of how much better Michael Symon's food was, compared to Robert Irvine's, I'd find that especially helpful.

I think they should just fire them both and hire me instead. I'm better looking than either of them, anyway. :wink:

I do not think his food was any better under the circumstances. It seems that it is really a limited format that needs to be punched up by someone who can manufacture drama.

I will not watch it. Once you have seen 2 or 3 you have pretty much seen them all. No matter who is running the show the format is pretty limited.

You have a small or inadequate kitchen, ingredients on hand or that need to be procured somehow, large number of people, short time frame, possibly limited or inexperienced staff.

Of course yo are going to hve Sysco stuff and ready made used. No way to make a stock or similar withing the time constraints.

The best ones in my mind are the ones using primative gear such as the wood burner at the Faire, the Hispanic oven, and cooking the pig in the ground in Hawaii. For those he had too much help from knowledgeable sources.

That can't be true.  The Neely's and Sandra Lee are not entertaining.

And oddly enough, Aunt Sandy is back! I saw the promo for some cost conscious consumer show she is hosting. Cut rate cocktails on aisle four.

I think both, Michael Symon and Robert Irvine, appeal to the television consumer. Michael Symon is able to teach correct cooking techniques and unique recipes, as Robert Irvine is able to muse and shmooze with the crowd and guests. Maybe FN should do a Mission Impossible with both Irvine and Symon, - Symon the culinary genius and Irvine the Culinary mascot. Personally, I like them both and would like to continue watching them.

Also, does anybody know the real story to Irvine? I always knew he was kind of awkward in the kitchen.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, does anybody know the real story to Irvine?  I always knew he was kind of awkward in the kitchen.

For what it's worth, Irvine tried to "set the record straight" with the following post on his Blog:

http://www.chefrobertirvineblog.com/index.php/robert0004-jpg

As for the show itself, I will watch it every now and then if I'm looking for some light entertainment. I generally have found Irvine's more frenetic approach works better given the format of the show. Chef Symon was too calm, cool and collected.