• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mr. Yum

gagit

Hooray, Goodbye to the Celebrity Chefs whose reputation is attractive only to customers who only appreciate the name of the place : Michy's. Table 8 and 8oz, and Pacific Time. Mr. Yum,and the young superstar chef owner Bond,takes Thai and Japanese to a new level with tastes that Michelle, Govind, and Jonathan could not comprehend. A $9.95 lunch that cannot be beat along with Calle Ocho Tuna and Soft Shell Crabs as appetizers all tasty treats that the Celebrity Chefs in Miami would not dare attempt to serve with flavors Bond creates.It is time to stop talking about being seen and talk about the food, here Mr. Yum in Calle Ocho excels.

Hooray, Goodbye to the Celebrity Chefs whose reputation is attractive only to customers who only appreciate the name of the place : Michy's. Table 8 and 8oz, and Pacific Time. Mr. Yum,and the young superstar chef owner Bond,takes Thai and Japanese to a new level with tastes that Michelle, Govind, and Jonathan  could not comprehend. A $9.95 lunch that cannot be beat along with Calle Ocho Tuna and Soft Shell Crabs as appetizers all tasty treats that the Celebrity Chefs in Miami would not dare attempt to serve with flavors Bond creates.It is time to stop talking about being seen and talk about the food, here Mr. Yum in Calle Ocho excels.

I wish I could agree with this (well the part about the food anyway - not sure I even understand the rest). It's an adorable little place, with minimalist modern furniture and polished concrete floors, and I'm thrilled to see something like this going into a neighborhood like Calle Ocho. And the owner has one of the most awe-inspiring hairdos I've ever seen. But I went by to try the sushi and was decidedly underwhelmed.

I'm not big on silly rolls, but that seemed to be the focus of the sushi menu, so I tried a "salmon yuzu" roll (advertised as having salmon, yuzu, spicy mayo and cilantro) and a sashimi sampler. The roll had no discernable flavors of yuzu, spice or cilantro, and indeed barely tasted of salmon. The dominant taste was of cold, gummy rice. The sashimi sampler was a fairly generous serving of 3 slices each of tuna, more salmon (when you know I'm having a salmon roll, why not substitute something else?), and whitefish, for about $13, but the fish was again overly cold to the point of not being able to taste much of anything - and it was commodity-quality sushi anyway.

The rest of the menu was pretty much a "greatest hits" of various Japanese appetizers and typical Thai items. Maybe they're better than the sushi, but there was certainly nothing that struck me as particularly bold (again, other than the owner's hair).

Hooray, Goodbye to the Celebrity Chefs whose reputation is attractive only to customers who only appreciate the name of the place : Michy's. Table 8 and 8oz, and Pacific Time. Mr. Yum,and the young superstar chef owner Bond,takes Thai and Japanese to a new level with tastes that Michelle, Govind, and Jonathan  could not comprehend. A $9.95 lunch that cannot be beat along with Calle Ocho Tuna and Soft Shell Crabs as appetizers all tasty treats that the Celebrity Chefs in Miami would not dare attempt to serve with flavors Bond creates.It is time to stop talking about being seen and talk about the food, here Mr. Yum in Calle Ocho excels.

I wish I could agree with this (well the part about the food anyway - not sure I even understand the rest). It's an adorable little place, with minimalist modern furniture and polished concrete floors, and I'm thrilled to see something like this going into a neighborhood like Calle Ocho. And the owner has one of the most awe-inspiring hairdos I've ever seen. But I went by to try the sushi and was decidedly underwhelmed.

I'm not big on silly rolls, but that seemed to be the focus of the sushi menu, so I tried a "salmon yuzu" roll (advertised as having salmon, yuzu, spicy mayo and cilantro) and a sashimi sampler. The roll had no discernable flavors of yuzu, spice or cilantro, and indeed barely tasted of salmon. The dominant taste was of cold, gummy rice. The sashimi sampler was a fairly generous serving of 3 slices each of tuna, more salmon (when you know I'm having a salmon roll, why not substitute something else?), and whitefish, for about $13, but the fish was again overly cold to the point of not being able to taste much of anything - and it was commodity-quality sushi anyway.

The rest of the menu was pretty much a "greatest hits" of various Japanese appetizers and typical Thai items. Maybe they're better than the sushi, but there was certainly nothing that struck me as particularly bold (again, other than the owner's hair).

You should have had the Sushi/shashimi sampler with the Tempura both vegetable and shrimp all for $10.95, the tempura was cooked to a level that I thought it was Morimoto who made it, if he had Bond's hair you would not have not known the difference.lol