• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vienna: Unidentified Heuringer in Grinzing

A hundred years ago, a student on a shoestring, I went to Middle Europe. Passing through Vienna, I had three things I must eat: Sacher tort, streudel, and wienerschnitzel. For the latter, I sought out my amateurish guidebooks and they pointed me to the Grinzing district of the city. The restaurant I decided on was tucked in a cute little tavern-lined alleyway (perhaps all of Grinzing is like this?). It was busy and popular. The interior looked more like something you'd see on a summer ferry boat - slat-baked chairs with white frames and green backs. The whole restaurant's decor, in fact, seemed to have that same white and green (dusty and darker shades of green) motif. One might think one was in Tudor England, or an Irish pub. The floors were lined with varnished wood boards.

I recall asking my server the difference between a large and a small wienerschnitzel. He approximated the sizes with his hands. I ordered the small. It was larger than my head - certainly hanging over the sides of my large plate.

Here is the only clue I have as to the identity of this heuringer in Grinzing. Can anyone help me identify it? Note the "Reserved" signage on the table - could the name under the "Reserviert" be the name of the restaurant?

gallery_37441_6571_32776.jpg

Your help is greatly appreciated!

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

perhaps all of Grinzing is like this?

Unfortunately, you are right.

Here is the only clue I have as to the identity of this heuringer in Grinzing.  Can anyone help me identify it?  Note the "Reserved" signage on the table - could the name under the "Reserviert" be the name of the restaurant?

No, the name under the signage is "Römerquelle", a mineral water brand.

All I can guess is that it's situated on Grinzinger street. But as mentioned, there are many, many.

But times have changed anyway, and most Heurigen in Grinzing are simply tourist attractions nowadays.

Some of the nicest Heurigens - run by private people, mostly wine farmers, opened only two or three times a year for two weeks and visited by the local people - you'll find in the small villages east of airport Schwechat, way out of town.

Of course, there still exist some very nice Heurigen in town.

You might consult this guide:

Ausgsteckt is': der Wiener Heurigenführer

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

nice timing with the question. Im heading for Vienna tomorrow, and my biggest goal is eating proper wienerschnitzel.

Let me know if the Heuringen you visit look like the one above!

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

perhaps all of Grinzing is like this?

Unfortunately, you are right.

Here is the only clue I have as to the identity of this heuringer in Grinzing.  Can anyone help me identify it?  Note the "Reserved" signage on the table - could the name under the "Reserviert" be the name of the restaurant?

No, the name under the signage is "Römerquelle", a mineral water brand.

All I can guess is that it's situated on Grinzinger street. But as mentioned, there are many, many.

But times have changed anyway, and most Heurigen in Grinzing are simply tourist attractions nowadays.

Some of the nicest Heurigens - run by private people, mostly wine farmers, opened only two or three times a year for two weeks and visited by the local people - you'll find in the small villages east of airport Schwechat, way out of town.

Of course, there still exist some very nice Heurigen in town.

You might consult this guide:

Ausgsteckt is': der Wiener Heurigenführer

Well, I was on my way to the Staatsoper that night, so it couldn't have been too far out of town.

I was hoping the sliver of the sign I caught in the photo above would trigger someone's memory here.

I'll keep hoping.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I was hoping the sliver of the sign I caught in the photo above would trigger someone's memory here. 

Read from the sign, it's clear that your Heurigen ist situated in "Grinzingerstrasse" (or "Grinzingerstr.", abbreviated) or in "Grinzinger Allee".

You might search with these terms and "Heurigen" and "Heurigenrestaurant" on google.at.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

nice timing with the question. Im heading for Vienna tomorrow, and my biggest goal is eating proper wienerschnitzel.

Im in a hotel right behind the opera for two nights, so if we find out where this is before that, I will go.

Im in a hotel right behind the opera for two nights, so if we find out where this is before that, I will go.

You are a stud. Thanks.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account