• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ceramic chocolate bowl

Lior

For Passover I made frogs (a plague)with natural green cocoa butter, little puddles of a bloodied Nile (very silly looking-make the kids laugh...)with strawberry freeze dried powder and pyramids on a stick and a bowl which I plan to fill with chocolates for the hostess along with a few other gifts.

The bowl is ugly. It is my first time making bowls...

I would love any tips. How do I make the rim even all the way around-same height? I decorated with gold dust but I should have mixed it with white chocolate first. Please anyone who does these, advice!!

Mistakes (dumb ones):

1. Bowl one- I drew the design on the balloon before piping- bad news it transferred onto the chocolate!! I assumed permanent marker would not come off!

2. Names - I wrote as usual and obviously got the mirror effect (how dumb of me!!!!!)

3. Bowl 3 is the best but still ugly-ish!

Frogs:

gallery_53591_4944_123653.jpg

More:

gallery_53591_4944_28981.jpg

Wavy Nile blood puddles:

gallery_53591_4944_185754.jpg

The Ugliest bowl with marker:

gallery_53591_4944_52552.jpg

Bowl with mirror writing

gallery_53591_4944_94035.jpg

nicest but still a bit ugly!

gallery_53591_4944_286962.jpg

Again, any tips??

Edited by Lior (log)

For Passover I made frogs (a plague)with natural green cocoa butter, little puddles of a bloodied Nile (very silly looking-make the kids laugh...)with strawberry freeze dried powder and pyramids on a stick and a bowl which I plan to fill with chocolates for the hostess along with a few other gifts.

The bowl is  ugly. It is my first time making bowls...

I would love any tips. How do I make the rim even all the way around-same height? I decorated with gold dust but I should have mixed it with white chocolate first. Please anyone who does these, advice!!

Mistakes (dumb ones):

1. Bowl one- I drew the design on the balloon before piping- bad news it transferred onto the chocolate!! I assumed permanent marker would not come off!

2. Names - I wrote as usual and obviously got the mirror effect (how dumb of me!!!!!)

3. Bowl 3 is the best but still ugly-ish!

Again, any tips??

No advice. Just an overwhelmed WOW! at all the beautiful things you make!!! :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Maybe the bowl would work better if you used an actual bowl as a mold. I have used a plastic box as a mold for chocolate and had no problem with it. As stated in the demo make sure that you use something very shiny (so that the chocolate will shine) and with no scratches in it. My plastic box was not used for anything but as a chocolate mold and was polished well with cotton balls before use. I think that whatever you use as a mold should probably be fairly rigid. If the mold has flex to it, it will be too easy to crack your molded chocolate once it sets. One more suggestion: paint in some layers of chocolate to whatever you are using before doing the fill and dump molding. That way you'll get a thicker bowl.

The frogs are fantastic. Nice work!

Yes I am dying to try again and make prettier and more accurate ones!!!! My uglies will become beauties!! I also though of using the plastic container method and trying something similar to the pictures Lana posted a while back with DeBondt's gorgeous egg. So much to try and learn and perfect!!!

Hey Lior,

Your frogs are so cute! I like the way you incorporate the colored cocoa butter.

I see you got some freeze dried strawberry powder. Where did you source if from?

I've been busy making Easter chocolate. I got a cookie cutter in the shape of a bunny's head and made some marshmallow. Then I cut out the bunnies using the cookie cutter. I applied and sucker stick to them and then I dipped them in chocolate. I'm getting a huge response from my clients. Unfortunalty I still don't have a decent camera to post pictures...

Rena

www.chocolatearts.com in vancouver makes the chocolate bowls. Go into the "gifts" I tooks some pictures and if I find them I will post as they may be better that what you see in the website.

If you don't like the appearance on the outside or inside you could airbrush with a dark chocolate/cocoa butter mixture. I have done that on my chocolate when blemishes appear.

Edited by prairiegirl (log)

Oh my gosh - what an amazing video!! Thank you so much for sharing. I like what he said at the beginning: 'start simple and then evolve'...

But, of course, I want to do the most intricate RIGHT NOW! Does anyone have an idea of how he does the faded petal like design on the inside of the bowls? And isn't that sponge dipped in gold a wonderful idea. The gold lines he made on the outside of that bowl looked so classy.

He's right - the people in this business are so lucky!

I really want to figure out how do get that effect. There is another site where he discusses making the bowls, but I can't figure out if you mix the coloured cocoa butter into the white chocolate then dip the balloon, or colour the ballon then dip in the white chocolate.

Serious experimentation required here.

Here is how it is done. Look under decorating baskets. He must start with white chocolate, make circles of the colours, drag a toothpick through it, then dip the balloon in. Then he would finish off with dark chocolate.

I really want to figure out how do get that effect.  There is another site where he discusses making the bowls, but I can't figure out if you mix the coloured cocoa butter into the white chocolate then dip the balloon, or colour the ballon then dip in the white chocolate.

Serious experimentation required here.

I'm glad you're on board Kerry. Now I KNOW we'll get our answer!

Isn't that something!! So simple and beautiful! Of course, it always looks so easy when done by masters!! But he must have a method for getting that nice rim you see on his site. I think he cuts it but how does it come out even? Maybe on a sheet like mentioned above. I will try again next week!!

Isn't that something!! So simple and beautiful! Of course, it always looks so easy when done by masters!! But he must have a method for getting that nice rim you see on his site. I think he cuts it but how does it come out even? Maybe on a sheet like mentioned above. I will try again next week!!

very clever chocolates!

Edited by melamed (log)

Cheers, Sarah

http://sarahmelamed.com/

Yes, he has to cut it somehow. That is going to be the hardest part I suspect. I wonder if a hot wire might be the way to go. Keeping it level will be a problem.

Ideally when you are making chocolate boxes, little discs and stuff you want to make the cut while the chocolate is just going from tacky to firm - but here you are constrained by the two layers and the balloon.

Anyone out there a potter - how do you cut the top of a bowl that's just been thrown and get a nice level top?

Yeah, there has to be a way to hold the cutting implement at a fixed height and rotate the bowl past it to get an even cut on the bowl. Perhaps putting the bowl stuck down on a cake turner - but how do you get the knife/wire at a fixed height. I can't cut freehand. I remember getting the crying elf stamp on my straight lines in kindergarden - and nothing has changed in the 47 odd years following!

Maybe a bit more online searching will yield the answer.

Can't you just spin the bowl's top edge on a warmed cookie sheet? I think that Lisa mentioned it up-thread.

Maybe modifying an old turntable with an LP sized metal platter would work.

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”