• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good restaurants near Moscone Center?

tammylc

I'm going to be in town later this year for a conference, and I'm looking for dining recommendations in the neighborhood or a short taxi ride away. I like all cuisines, but won't be able the splurge too much on this trip, so I'm looking for good but not-too-expensive places.

Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

so many spots are a short cab ride away. i'm sure you will get many recs. chez papa and lulu are walking distance, as is the ferry bldg (that's a longer walk, but i've done it many times while at the fancy food show, and that's after walking allll over that moscone center!)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Without even taking a cab, you can eat at Ame (order Lissa's staff meal), Anchor & Hope (order the sea urchin), Fifth Floor (splurge), Samovar Tea Lounge (great for lunch), Thirsty Bear (innocuous brewery with fairly good tapas), or XYZ (inside the W).

• 1 month later...

Also "Two" which used to be Hawthorne Lane is next door to the Thirsty Bear. Not sure what they're serving there lately, but certainly cheaper than Hawthorne Lane used to be in its heyday. I would guess it is slightly upscale casual...if that's at all a definition of a cuisine :wink: