• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Five more

Florida Jim

Whites:

2005 Daniel Dampt, Chablis Côte de Léchet:

Day one: quiet but typical Chablis nose; layered, exotic fruit flavors that are rich, deep and honeyed, steely, crisp and long. Seems somewhat closed but what is showing is absolutely delicious and characteristic of this vineyard.

Day two: more open aromatically but much more mineral driven – an almost salty element in the mouth, good fruit, intensity and concentration; considerable length. A superb wine from a producer that uses only stainless, hand harvests, keeps yields low and is aggressive with triage. This has the stuffing to age, its 13% alcohol, $30 (including shipping) and has a quality to price ratio that is becoming difficult to find in Chablis. Drink or hold.

1999 Nigl, Riesling Hochäcker:

Way too fresh to be a decade old; smells of tangerine skin, rainwater and citrus; its dry, textural, intensely flavored to echo the nose and has a tang to it that I find often in Austrian riesling; exceedingly long and that tang is reiterated on the finish which has a slight pithy/resin quality to it. A very good wine that is still youthful, concentrated and balanced but shows an integration borne of its years. 13% alcohol and about $18, back in the day.

Reds:

2000 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Estate Reserve:

Day one: tight, big, disjointed with some alcohol showing (14.3%).

Day two: more approachable with spice and dark fruit smells and flavors, pretty big in the mouth, alcoholic but not hot; moderate length. I think this is just a little too much for me. Solid wine but not in a style that I am partial to.

Day three: bordering on raisined and coming apart.

Drink.

1999 Michel Lafarge, Volnay Vendages Sélectionnées:

Day one: still a bit tannic but this wine is so much better than three years ago (the last time I tried it); classic fresh cherry, beet, earth, stone nose; much the same in the mouth with some complexity, good intensity and a profile that is both hard-edged and approachable at the same time. As with all really good wines, there is a paradox (or two) in this; minerality but clear fruit; firm but open; strongly flavored but with finesse. These are the bottles we hope to find when we go back into the cellar after a decade and pull out Burgundy. With grilled chicken, rice with black pepper sauce and sautéed brussel sprouts, beyond words.

Day two: this has wound back in upon itself – its all about structure and tannin now, although, it comes alive accompanying pasta with tomato/almond sauce.

13% alcohol and about $35 on release.

Hold.

2002 Michaud, Brouilly Prestige de Vielles Vignes:

Day one: bright, pure gamay with an earthy/granite streak and considerable depth; aromatic, graceful and nicely integrated. Often times this bottling can be a bit tannic but this is pretty smooth.

Day two: even better, by magnitudes; there is finesse and a purity not evident yesterday; there’s real complexity and still a smooth texture; and, above all, there is this deft balance – as though all parts were meant to fit together just so. This is all a red wine I ever need and it pleases me no end to have more than a few bottles left in the cellar. Real old vine (greater than 85 years) quality. 13% alcohol and a bargain at $20.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com