• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tsiakkos & Charcoal, London

I'd never heard of this place, despite having lived nearby for nearly seven years, until I read about it in the Guardian on Saturday, recommended by someone called Valentine Warner:

"This place in Maida Vale is owned by Xen...it's like walking into somebody's house. It's all very haphazard, with plastic tablecloths and his children's bikes leaning against the wall...If you want a beer and he's not around to serve it, you help yourself. When he cooks, though, it's phenomenal food. Greek salad, halloumi, lamb kleftiko. I've no idea how he tots up the bill but it's always very cheap. (5 Marylands Road, W9; 020 7286 7896)".

Sounds like it could be interesting. Anyone been?

I'd never heard of this place, despite having lived nearby for nearly seven years, until I read about it in the Guardian on Saturday, recommended by someone called Valentine Warner:

"This place in Maida Vale is owned by Xen...it's like walking into somebody's house.  It's all very haphazard, with plastic tablecloths and his children's bikes leaning against the wall...If you want a beer and he's not around to serve it, you help yourself.  When he cooks, though, it's phenomenal food.  Greek salad, halloumi, lamb kleftiko.  I've no idea how he tots up the bill but it's always very cheap. (5 Marylands Road, W9; 020 7286 7896)".

Sounds like it could be interesting.  Anyone been?

I can't believe the Guardian would employ anyone called Valentine. You sure this wasn't an April fool taking the mickey out of Jasper Gerard?

S

I can't believe the Guardian would employ anyone called Valentine. You sure this wasn't an April fool taking the mickey out of Jasper Gerard?

S

Well, it was published on 3 April...

Valentine Warner has had a cookery series on TV, ' What to Eat Now', and written a pretty good book to go with it.

I would take any recommendation by him seriously.

I find it hard to take him seriously personally, irritating posh kid in love with himself.

S