• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone watching Last Cake Standing?

K8memphis

Six decorator's vie over a four weeks in a reality show type cake competition for $50,000. The contestants, click here.

I love the basic concept of cake competitions.

I love Michelle's work, Mary's work, Bronwen's, James's, Elisa's, Courtney's all of 'em--I cannot pit them against each other. I'm just glad I am neither a judge nor a competitor.

That said--Courtney's rocked my world--I loved the color, the big splash, the eclectic bombastic wonderfulness of it.

I mean James has won challenges doing Ron ben-esque cakes--why not put that in his life story--it is his life story for crying out loud.

I love Elisa's--easiest sculpture? a life size dress form??? Totally rocked plus perfect depiction of her life story.

May's--omg--above and beyond and always with the nuclear creativity.

Bronwen's also a perfect depiction and brilliant in design and execution.

Bronwen had a tough time getting going after the early start--she never would have put that flooring on the wrong side if they hadn't sucker punched the start up. "Psych!!" That network is brilliant at the cluster f--they've got it down to a science.

Honestly, as hyped as our beloved Michelle gets it was probably nothing but the grace of God that she did such a classic design. If she had gotten shoved into a freak out sculpture she mighta od'd on misdirected adrenaline.

But again the cluster eff of that netowrk when they had Michelle's own cake buddies toss her at the end verbally--such incredible poor taste cannot be fathomed. Sure it's a competition, sure someobody's gonna loose--five somebodies--but dignity is one of that network's most secret ingredients yes?

Don't everybody talk at once or anything.

Well, I hope my comments don't get smothered by the all the other posts! :raz:

I really hated the twist of having the other decorators vote the first one off, especially since next week's preview makes it look like they won't continue to do that. Michelle's cake wasn't to my personal taste, but it was very beautiful. I think she's who I would've had to pick to go out because the cake didn't have a real "story" to it. But that's it. I'm glad I didn't actually have to pick. My mom and I watch "Challenge" every week, and I think this is a good twist. Nice to see our favorites all in one show.

ETA: Bronwen's my fave to win. I cringed when she did the board backwards. I always love her cakes.

Edited by emilyr (log)

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

If I could get a word in edgwise here... :raz:

I agree that Michelle's cake was beautifully done (clean work), and it's also the kind of thing she's done before (the swirls, the squares with mini separations). The sentiment was nice and I could see how it "spoke" to her and why it was important.

But even she said - when she looked out over the other cakes "We're going home."

I also think the editing is done with an eye for the dramatic - they're all tired at the end of the day and BAM! (sorry :wink: ) another twist! now they have to vote someone off the island. I think they came across as surprized and stumbled over their words. I don't think they intentionally meant to hurt Michelle's feelings (as opposed to some of the judging comments on that show - and not just this episode's commentary. I wonder if they give them "good cop/bad cop" direction before they start each show!!).

Remember the tag team cakes? When the first one ran, and they paired Margery with Lisa and Margery tore Lisa to shreds (now that was mean)? And FN did it again - and paired the two of them together again!! And then when the Pink Cake Box lady did the tag team bride episode - that bride was mean (notice how they completely cut the bride from that portion of the judging comments?.)

I wonder if this is going to be the end of the Cake Challenge shows.