• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Pie Store, Montclair, NJ

The Pie Store

Although this wonderful shop had opened last year - it's a spinoff from the London Food Company (downtown Montclair, Bloomfield Ave. between Fullerton & Seymour), where the pies were originally sold - I was somehow, inexplicably, unaware of it till yesterday.

We were over in Montclair for the fab spring book sale. (Beard On Pasta, yes!) Afterwards we stopped by the London Food Company looking for pies & were informed of these developments. So we drove on over to the Pie Store, which is conveniently located on our route out of Montclair to get back home.

Got a chicken pie and a potato/cheese/onion pie. FABULOUS!!! The chicken pie was absolutely delicious, well peppered, full of chicken & mushrooms & veggies & FLAVOR.

I often have digestive/gas problems with standard chicken pot pies; not so with this one, I think because it has only their excellent puff pastry crust on top & lacks the heavier bottom crust you often find. An extraordinarily well composed pie. I'll be back for more!

The potato/cheese/onion pie was also delicious, but heavy & rich. We have a lot left; I think we're gonna get 3-4 meals out of this one as a side dish.

We also have a big Shepherd's Pie in the icebox, awaiting consumption this week, or perhaps later on, in which case it will go into the freezer.

BTW the "small" pies are big enough for a dinner for two if you have a salad or something to go with one. (And/or a cheesy oniony potato pie to pick at. :raz: ) The large pies are truly family-sized.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Sounds very good and best of all, close to me!  did you, by chance, try their dessert pies?

Nope, did not, though I expect I will. I was talking with the lady behind the counter, she said they do lots of seasonal fruit pies. She mentioned peach pies in summertime, I'm going to try to hold out till then.

BTW the Shepherd's Pie was fabulous too - ground beef, in an apparent nod to American tastes, peas, a bit of onion, lovely gravy & wonderfully buttery mashed potatoes on top. So far they've gotten every little detail perfectly right, at least to my tastes. :smile:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 5 months later...

We stopped by here today and made quick friends with Samantha behind the counter.

Took home a wide selection of sausage rolls (p."too much pastry"), chana pasty (t. "lots of tomato"), turkey stuffing pie, shepherds pie, steak and ale pie. and a cornish pasty.

No pork pies, unfortunately. You have to order them ahead, as they're in great demand. According to Samantha, they're too labor intensive to make every day.

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

Can you allowed to give us an idea of the pricing for the savory pies?

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

sure, the pricing is on their online menu from their site http://www.thepiestorenj.com/

So we pre-ordered some pork pies. The pastry was very good, if not a little thick. The filling however was dense and dry. There wasnt enough fat in the mixture, and it was pretty bland. The pies are also larger than the "classic" Melton Mowbray pie, and not .. I'm afraid, up to that standard.

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much