• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yoohoo Chocolate Drink

Lochina

I was recently reminiscing with a friend about things we associate with our childhoods, including but not limited to the Spirograph, Lite Brite, that paint spinner/splatter toy, and, yes, Yoohoo Chocolate Drink (no strawberry for me, thanks!) When my friend brought up Yoohoo I suddenly had a powerful craving/nostalgia for it and as we were out walking we stopped into 4 convenience stores (aka bodegas) and couldn't find it -- only that impostor that uses real milk, Nesquik. ANYWAY--does anyone out there still drink Yoohoo? Where do you find it? Do you, too, have powerful childhood memories associated with it? Is it as good as I remember it being? Please share!

I can relate to all your childhood memories. I always got a yoohoo at the bagel store in S. Florida. I'm assuming by Bodega, you're living in NY? I'm surprised you can't find it. I was just in SoCal and my sister had a case of it( I think she got it at Costco). Ok, I really want one now. Thanks!!

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I loved Yoohoo as a kid, but I haven't seen it in ages. I must admit, though that I haven't been looking for it either.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

You can't bring up Yoohoo without remembering its cousin, Chocolate Soldier ...

I loved them both as a kid -- probably because they were grouped in with sodas and thus seemed like more or a treat than chocolate milk. When I was in high school, Yoohoo released some additional flavors, and I then developed an addiction to the chocolate/mint variety, always poured over ice.

I too see Yoohoo all over the place in Chicago! I don't, myself, drink Yoohoo. Nothing against it whatsoever, I just didn't grow up drinking it....thus have no childhood draw towards the drink. But, maybe I should try it? Nothing like adding yet ANOTHER item to the random sh_t I buy at the grocery/specialty stores here in Chicago! I am soooo bad at that....my husband is always like "Lindsay do we really need that?".....my response (at least in my mind...silent response hehe) "YESSSSS we do, thank you very much".....and anyhow....if we don't "need" it...I most certainly wanted it at the time ;)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I drank it occasionally when I was going back to New Jersey to visit relatives. I liked it, even if it was a really odd concoction. It doesn't seem to popular in Texas, but I do see it places. Maybe I'll remember to pick some up next time I am in the store.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I remember when I was a kid, Yogi Berra was the spokesperson for Yoohoo. He was one of the few athletes popular with both Yankee and Met fans.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

A few months ago I spotted some Yoohoo in a Walmart in Northern Minnesota or North Dakota. I didn't buy any, but I remember talking about it while in the store -- I don't think I've ever seen it here. But Walmart might be a starting point, though it might be regional stocking.