• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When you want ______ you have to get it _____

gfron1

I recently had a woman ask to buy lemon curd from me. When I showed her our options including my in-house version (which is damn tasty) she replied, "Oh, I only buy English curds."

For me, any fruit jams/preserves or syrups should come from the Slovenias, Armenias, Estonias...etc.

So, when you want to get (what product), you have to get it from (what country or region)?

(edited to clarify title)

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Packed tomatoes have to be Parmalat or Pomi.

Single origin olive oil...Italian or French. None of this "shipped all over the world for months until we got a vatful and blended it up."

I can make do with domestic champagne if necessary. :laugh:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

This question has me realizing that I do buy mostly local stuff where possible.

Here are a few loyalties off the top of my head:

green coffee beans from Honduras

popping corn from Orville Redenbacher (Indiana?)

mustard from France

anchovies in a jar from Italy

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I second this, but I always read the label to make sure they were packed in Italy, too - not just an Italian bottle with Albanian anchovies in it. Not sure what I have against Albanian anchovies, but there it is. I guess if I'm going to pay a premium for an Italian brand, I want to know that they're actually Italian.

My gochujang has to be the Korean brand in the red box. I'm open to trying olive oil from a variety of countries, though.

Spanish sherry vinegar, a REAL truffle from the Luberon.

I like several olive oils for different purposes. One is Greek, another Spanish a couple are Italian and a few are native Californian.

Corn, heirloom varieties, grown in the south - whole if I can get it but if not, from Anson Mills.

I am very, very picky about a lot of things and will go out of my way to find them but now it is much easier, being able to order on the internet.

However, before the 'net, I would drive all over southern Calif. to find specific good items.

Of course, I am a bit of a fanatic......

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I second this, but I always read the label to make sure they were packed in Italy, too - not just an Italian bottle with Albanian anchovies in it. Not sure what I have against Albanian anchovies, but there it is. I guess if I'm going to pay a premium for an Italian brand, I want to know that they're actually Italian.

My gochujang has to be the Korean brand in the red box. I'm open to trying olive oil from a variety of countries, though.

Chances are the anchovies, regardless of where they were processed, probably considered themselves neither Italian nor Albanian but, rather, Adriatic, assuming the little fellers had any sense of national identity.