• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2 Nights In South Beach

jrichman

Hi All,

My wife and myself are heading down to South Beach for 2 nights coming up - both first time visitors.  Looking for some recommendations for 2 great dinners...Thanks!

Answers to a few questions would help focus a response - what kind of food do you like? Do you want to stay on South Beach or are you willing to venture beyond? Price range? All about the food or looking for SoBe "scene"?

We are looking for american, seafood type restaurants - and would like to stay in South Beach as we do not have a car - all price ranges and would like a combo of the Sobe scene as well as the great food!

We are looking for american, seafood type restaurants - and would like to stay in South Beach as we do not have a car - all price ranges and would like a combo of the Sobe scene as well as the great food!

For a Miami institution and an old-school style restaurant, there's Joe's Stone Crab. For more contemporary food, my favorite place on South Beach is Talula on 23rd St. just west of Collins Ave. (about which I've said more here). Despite the steakhouse name and theme, Meat Market on Lincoln Road has a number of fish and seafood selections, both in apps (mostly raw crudos and tiraditos and the like) and cooked entrees. The execution was a little hit-or-miss when I was there but showed promise.

I have not been to Maison d'Azur since it moved from the Angler's Resort to the Hotel Astor, but the "seafood brasserie" concept was an interesting one and the fish and shellfish were good the couple times I'd been (though not particularly local - mostly flown in from the Mediterranean). Also have not been to Ola for quite some time - they have good ceviches and an interesting contemporary Latin American menu, though I thought they lost their mojo some after moving from Biscayne Boulevard. Many people I know recommend Alta Mar, on the west end of Lincoln Road (past Alton Rd) but I've not been. You may also want to throw Chalan on the Beach (Peruvian) into the mix for something lower-budget.